IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

I wonder if it's counting upvote/like/thanks given as well as received

I had the same thought.  Reputation should not count upvote/like/thanks given, only received.  I don't know what is counted currently.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

38 minutes ago, mansr said:

Jealous much?

A fair (though I would think incorrect) comment, but seeing an upvote for it to me illustrates what I think is the primary problem with the system as a way to assess which comments have value.

At least for me, the valuable comments are those that provide information I didn’t know.  So we ought to see bunches of upvotes in the Q&A section, fewer in threads where more heated arguments take place.  Yet of course it tends to be just the opposite.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

4 minutes ago, Jud said:

At least for me, the valuable comments are those that provide information I didn’t know.  So we ought to see bunches of upvotes in the Q&A section, fewer in threads where more heated arguments take place.  Yet of course it tends to be just the opposite.

It doesn't take much heated argument for me to hit the 'ignore this topic'  button.  Life is too short for reality show drama.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

As evidenced by our resident self-proclaimed "troll" showing with a shocking 5,763 reputation points.  

Yeah, that just highlighted the futility of the score.

49 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm going to ditch the visible reputation system for now. Weighing the pros and cons, it just doesn't seem to have many pros. 

A real pity.

I wish there were a way to highlight those who provide value and service (as oppose to snark and condescension) to the community, and who have earned the right to be called helpful, credible and trustworthy.

For a while there, I wondered if you could derive a better metric by dividing the reputation score by total post count. But that still doesn't help.

The only other weapon against snark and trolling is a "downvote" button, but that would probably provoke open warfare.

I assert that it is within Chris' purview, as site owner, to award reputation scores at his own discretion. I'd trust that more than a vote-based system that will be abused.

43 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Finally - and I am sure you realize this Rajiv - anyone who bases their sense of self worth on a hobbyist site reputation score should be doing something real.

In case it came across that way, I was not looking for a way for my own personal score to be highlighted or recognized - yes, that would be sad indeed!

I was just wondering if a meaningful metric existed that might guide a newbie or occasional visitor.

As things stand, I agree with Chris, it's best to just suppress any such score. It doesn't take long for readers, even newbies, to get a measure of people. And after that, "Ignore Users" is a valuable tool!

it didn't come across that way at all - just a general observation

re: newbies - at least the guy telling them to spend a lot of $$ has absented himself

- I agree it would be helpful to do something for people new to computer audio - maybe a Dummies Guide?

but that is a diverse category - one guy has some Linn gear (active today) & another wanted to resolve an Apple CarPlay issue on his car

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

I was just wondering if a meaningful metric existed that might guide a newbie or occasional visitor.

Yes, I think that is what we all were hoping for.

23 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

re: newbies - at least the guy telling them to spend a lot of $$ has absented himself.

Trying to remember who you might be speaking of.  Recent or years past? :ph34r:

I agree it would be helpful to do something for people new to computer audio - maybe a Dummies Guide?

Would be great, but a lot of work.  And aspects of it might stir controversy--as usual. 9_9

but that is a diverse category - one guy has some Linn gear (active today) & another wanted to resolve an Apple CarPlay issue on his car

Indeed, there are many who "drive by" CA looking for answers to one or a few questions.  And then there are those of us who take up residence until we stink like old fish. x-D

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

Yeah, that just highlighted the futility of the score.

A real pity.

I wish there were a way to highlight those who provide value and service (as oppose to snark and condescension) to the community, and who have earned the right to be called helpful, credible and trustworthy.

For a while there, I wondered if you could derive a better metric by dividing the reputation score by total post count. But that still doesn't help.

The only other weapon against snark and trolling is a "downvote" button, but that would probably provoke open warfare.

I assert that it is within Chris' purview, as site owner, to award reputation scores at his own discretion. I'd trust that more than a vote-based system that will be abused.

I'd rather see a " I tried what the author recommended and it worked for me" button.   A lot of folks use the up vote button not for contributions that improve their practice of the hobby but because the post tickles their sense of humor.. for them it would be better to have a "thats funny" vote button

Regards,

Dave

Audio system