IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

11 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Now, the enter key works like normal, but the comments under a quote start immediately below and are too close. The solution is to hit enter once or twice to move the comment further down the page.

But when someone quotes that, the space is included at the top which looks a bit odd.

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

OK, what about the change I just made to not show the total reputation points, but still have the Up/Down voting on each thread?

Good system! It avoids the petty downgrading of reputations, since there's none to downgrade.

The like and dislikes are fine, there are more likes I've seen anyway.

For mobiles and ipads though, the buttons are a little too close to one another, depends on how fat the fingers are; a difficult decision as to how far they should be moved . Desktops with mice are no issue, I could not bear to see fingerprints on the screen, I want to look at images with clarity and not dotted with smudges, yuk. The system now is easier to use than with Vbulletin which took some time to figure out which button was first.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

4 hours ago, wgscott said:

the scarlet integer.

Wow, do I wish I'd said that.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

OK, what about the change I just made to not show the total reputation points, but still have the Up/Down voting on each thread?

Still don't think so, Chris. :)  I know you hoped it would do some good.  But rather than just stating another point of view, since I disagreed I downvoted your post that I'm quoting here.  Now there's  a pink "-1" attached to it.  This sort of thing happens a lot in threads.  I don't think it's an improvement over me simply stating my point of view, do you?

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

There goes my short lived reputation!

But in all seriousness - yeah, good riddance. If there were a way to measure how helpful a person was, that would be one thing, but as it stood, that number got conflated with a measure of agree/disagree and like/dislike which is not helpful.

Let's eschew populism.

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Wow, do I wish I'd said that.

My immediate thought as well. 

51 minutes ago, Jud said:

Still don't think so, Chris. :)  I know you hoped it would do some good.  But rather than just stating another point of view, since I disagreed I downvoted your post that I'm quoting here.  Now there's  a pink "-1" attached to it.  This sort of thing happens a lot in threads.  I don't think it's an improvement over me simply stating my point of view, do you?

Feedback noted. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I just up-voted it, but I feel obligated to like it the old-fashioned way, too.

9 minutes ago, wgscott said:

I just up-voted it, but I feel obligated to like it the old-fashioned way, too.

I feel the same thing. I want to like something, but I would also like to mark something which was helpful. Maybe with a golden star in the upper right corner of the post? ⭐️?

Ps. I never feel the urge to dislike anything with an arrow. I rather comment things I dislike! Ds.

🎛️  Audio System  

27 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Feedback noted. 

A thought: People could up and down-vote, but no indication would appear on the post, and the identities of any voters would not appear to the poster.  But either the total reputation number, the votes for individual posts, or both would appear to the poster.  The public display piece would then be taken out of the equation, but folks might still get an indication what the community (though not individual members) thought, for whatever that might be worth.

5 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Oh, Down Vote on that  :)

I would prefer that CA keep the Like/Dislike system as-is, but fix the numbers if/when it is abused.

My reasoning is that the rep. score is not really that bad a gauge, and there is precious little else here to guide the newbies and chipers, as Jud noted they need some help.

I feel that like/dislikes for; behavior good/bad, or knowledge/idiocy, or helpfulness/mocking, or whatever someones feels compelled enough to take a moment to click, are good data. Sure some could be due to silly, questionable, or mean-spirited reasons, but they would just end up being noise over time. The bigger the dataset the lower the noise. And any really egregious behavior, as happened recently, should be fixed once proved.

Frankly, if a bunch of CA'ers are stomping around dissing each other, I wouldn't mind a warning to stay clear of the argumentative, bull-headed, low info...  posters. And, I support that for everybody else, including me.

What's to be afraid of ??  ^_^

Update: I also support leaving in the identity data of the Likes and Dislikes (re: prev. Jud post). I take responsibility for my actions and don't mind doing so for this. I expect others to do the same. Anonomity breeds ugly behavior. I firmly believe that hiding the identities would be a mistake, as would hiding the scores. Try it for a while longer, then revisit the issue.

My 2 cents

P.S. not enough emoticons.

16 hours ago, mansr said:

New threads seem to have a larger font for the title.

This doesn't happen in condensed mode, as far as I can see. Colours would be better.

LMS on Odroid XU4; HQPlayer on i7-8700; iFi iGalvanic; T+A DAC 8 DSD; Benchmark AHB2; Quad ESL 2805s + two Acoustic Energy subs.

Just like to tell Chris that after getting used to the site, a few of his changes since the launch, and the new blue theme - I'm very happy with the site and think it looks way better than the previous one.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

My problem with this type of playing is it doesn't follow a DBT style test. What they do is, this is the track w/o MQA - play and then play the MQA file while describing the differences you should hear. This is an AUTOMATIC BIASING of the test. PERIOD. Nothing can be claimed as asounding better in this type of listening because your brain does all the biasing in this test.

What they should have done is: The system should be setup behind a curtain and the people setting up this testing, tell the track name (for the test of both) and this is A - play it and this is B . This should be done with all the tracks being randomized so not all MQA is B or A. This is never done as the marketing people KNOW that telling you what you are listening to (MQA or not) automatically biases you because, of course, MQA should sound better.

I am a scientist, by training, and really hate the non-scientific way audiophile companies use to hawk their wares.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

30 minutes ago, botrytis said:

My problem with this type of playing is it doesn't follow a DBT style test. What they do is, this is the track w/o MQA - play and then play the MQA file while describing the differences you should hear. This is an AUTOMATIC BIASING of the test. PERIOD. Nothing can be claimed as asounding better in this type of listening because your brain does all the biasing in this test.

What they should have done is: The system should be setup behind a curtain and the people setting up this testing, tell the track name (for the test of both) and this is A - play it and this is B . This should be done with all the tracks being randomized so not all MQA is B or A. This is never done as the marketing people KNOW that telling you what you are listening to (MQA or not) automatically biases you because, of course, MQA should sound better.

I am a scientist, by training, and really hate the non-scientific way audiophile companies use to hawk their wares.

Huh? I think you may have posted this in the wrong thread..:|

I'd like a reputation score that reflects positive contributions to the forum.  If you feel someone has come up with a creative tuning idea or has helped you resolve a problem, you give that member a reputation point.  Right now, reputation is kind of mixed up with 'I agree with you' or 'that was a funny comment' or 'I think you're a jerk'.

I guess there's a place for both kinds of feedback.  It would just be very useful not to have them intermixed.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

20 minutes ago, rickca said:

I'd like a reputation score that reflects positive contributions to the forum.  If you feel someone has come up with a creative tuning idea or has helped you resolve a problem, you give that member a reputation point.  Right now, reputation is kind of mixed up with 'I agree with you' or 'that was a funny comment' or 'I think you're a jerk'.

I guess there's a place for both kinds of feedback.  It would just be very useful not to have them intermixed.

I'd like a reputation score based on how good looking you are... ;)

Where is this score?  I looked under my profile and it says nothing about my reputation...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

1 minute ago, crenca said:

I'd like a reputation score based on how good looking you are... ;)

Where is this score?  I looked under my profile and it says nothing about my reputation...

Chris just deleted the reputation score today.  It used to appear under your avatar.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

I think the desired outcome was to have some community driven promotion/demotion of the score on contribution to the forum.  I can see how the original implementation falls short of that.  One thing that has not been mentioned is that other/most forums designate moderators to provide some structure and control on the content.  Designating forum mods is not something that I am promoting as we have come through many endless debates without them.  The ship for going that route seems to have sailed.

At the moment I really don't see a solution that would help a new member to sort through posts short of investing the time to read and decide for themselves. 

On 3/31/2017 at 0:51 PM, richard kimber said:

One thing that I think would be nice (well for me anyway) would be a way of indicating, in the unread content, what are new threads since my last visit - perhaps by having a different colour for their title. I've no idea whether this is possible, but some way of quickly seeing what's new (as opposed to additions to what's old) would be nice.

I strongly second Mr. Kimber's suggestion!  Though perhaps I have not looked closely to see if I can just create an Activity filter to show just newly started threads topics.

But it really would be great to be able to easily spot the recently started topics.  Every few days I look for new ones to subscribe follow, but have to rescan the titles of the old ones bolded the same as the new ones.