IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

39 minutes ago, mansr said:

The title is in roughly the same place in the URL as before. My Firefox shows the entire URL with room to spare, and the window isn't even the full width of the monitor. The thread title is also shown in the window title bar at the very top. Does your browser not have one of those?

See for yourself...

58dbcef627593_Threadtitlecapture.thumb.png.95da919a9fdd881c9c567b863a8bb5fc.png

I haven't changed the Toolbar layout in quite a while.

19 minutes ago, Daudio said:

See for yourself...

58dbcef627593_Threadtitlecapture.thumb.png.95da919a9fdd881c9c567b863a8bb5fc.png

I haven't changed the Toolbar layout in quite a while.

Why isn't the title displayed next to the close/maximise buttons in the usual fashion? Did you disable this somehow?

As for the URL, the green TLS indicator is new, of course, so that could be what makes the difference. Now if you want to reclaim some space, I'd suggest getting rid of the redundant "reload" and "stop" buttons and use the one at the end of the address field. Switching to small, icon-only buttons might also be something to consider. It's hardly Chris' fault if people configure their browsers in counter-productive ways.

1 hour ago, davide256 said:

I really miss the preview post option... its a vital way to improve readability and civility. Wasn't impressed when Agon updated their site, this change seems similiar

Can you explain a little bit more?

There is a preview post option here that shows you what it will look like on desktop and mobile. Just click the magnifying glass. 

Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 10.38.45 AM.png

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Can you explain a little bit more?

There is a preview post option here that shows you what it will look like on desktop and mobile. Just click the magnifying glass. 

Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 10.38.45 AM.png

It's easy to miss that button, and it's far from obvious from the icon what it does.

What I miss is the ability to see a preview of each unread posting by hovering the mouse over the titles in the list of unread posts. This is particularly useful for new threads where the title of the thread is not informative.

LMS on Odroid XU4; HQPlayer on i7-8700; iFi iGalvanic; T+A DAC 8 DSD; Benchmark AHB2; Quad ESL 2805s + two Acoustic Energy subs.

1 hour ago, mansr said:

Why isn't the title displayed next to the close/maximise buttons in the usual fashion? Did you disable this somehow?

As for the URL, the green TLS indicator is new, of course, so that could be what makes the difference. Now if you want to reclaim some space, I'd suggest getting rid of the redundant "reload" and "stop" buttons and use the one at the end of the address field. Switching to small, icon-only buttons might also be something to consider. It's hardly Chris' fault if people configure their browsers in counter-productive ways.

I don't know what you mean about "next to the close/maximize buttons" ??  That may be because I run the "Classic Theme Restorer" plug-in to kludge the tab row down on top of the content, as nature intended, instead of Mozilla's following Google, lemming-like down some rabbit hole of faddish esthetic design (like Apple)  :(

Yes, it appears to be that the actual URL text has been squeezed to a remnant by the TLS on the left, and WTF's on the right.

As to "counter-productive ways", I would remind you that people are different, and what might be productive for one is emphatically the opposite for another. There is No One Right Way, and your arrogance in acting as such is not appreciated. Go read some Donald Norman.

Over and Out.

10 minutes ago, Daudio said:

I don't know what you mean about "next to the close/maximize buttons" ??  That may be because I run the "Classic Theme Restorer" plug-in to kludge the tab row down on top of the content, as nature intended, instead of Mozilla's following Google, lemming-like down some rabbit hole of faddish esthetic design (like Apple)  :(

Yes, it appears to be that the actual URL text has been squeezed to a remnant by the TLS on the left, and WTF's on the right.

As to "counter-productive ways", I would remind you that people are different, and what might be productive for one is emphatically the opposite for another. There is No One Right Way, and your arrogance in acting as such is not appreciated. Go read some Donald Norman.

Over and Out.

You configured your browser with a very narrow URL field, then complain that you can't see the full URL. How is that anyone's fault but yours?

5 hours ago, mansr said:

... Speaking of the persistent menu bar, it's mostly a waste of space. I'd much rather see the bar with search, notifications, etc in its place. Those I actually click on from time to time.

I agree. And if a (much smaller) header menu bar *must* be shown persistently, then I would include a clickable *go to top* icon/link, so that the go to top links in each and every post can be removed..

13 minutes ago, Abtr said:

I agree. And if a (much smaller) header menu bar *must* be shown persistently, then I would include a clickable *go to top* icon/link, so that the go to top links in each and every post can be removed..

Not a bad idea IMO, but on phones (pads too?) there isn't a moving header menu, so it couldn't serve the "Go to top" function in that case.  Solutions?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Not a bad idea IMO, but on phones (pads too?) there isn't a moving header menu, so it couldn't serve the "Go to top" function in that case.  Solutions?

Some sites have a floating menu bar that appears only when scrolling up (like the address bar in Chrome). That could be an option.

1 hour ago, kblundy said:

When is Tapatalk going to work again? - I really miss being able to use it.

It's not. The full site now comes up in a mobile version on phones and tablets.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 minute ago, firedog said:

It's not. The full site now comes up in a mobile version on phones and tablets.

Thanks Firedog - I realise that - but I use tapatalk to aggregate the vary many forums I subscribe to and to bring the threads I follow together on one platform.

When HiFiWigwam changed their forum they no longer supported Tapatalk - but after a lot of requests to do so - they again do. 

Hope we can do both Tapatalk and Standalone in due-course.

It just feels a little less friendly. Not that big of a deal but the perceived comfort of similarity is strong and is especially important in the cold world of the internet.  That said, I'm sure there are improvements and efficiencies at play and a lot of hard work has probably gone into to your "remodel" so congrats are in order and I'm sure we'll all get used to the new "look"!

David

4 minutes ago, realhifi said:

It just feels a little less friendly. Not that big of a deal but the perceived comfort of similarity is strong and is especially important in the cold world of the internet.  That said, I'm sure there are improvements and efficiencies at play and a lot of hard work has probably gone into to your "remodel" so congrats are in order and I'm sure we'll all get used to the new "look"!

Thanks. Remember, the old site was incrementally improved over years. With this new platform, we'll be able to get beyond what the old site was capable of and fine tune it better. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Have anyone comment on the like/dislike arrows? Anyway, they are too close to each other. I would personally prefer to have them on each side of the heart rate box. Like on the left side and dislike on the right side of the heart rate box, so it is easier for anyone to press the right arrow, especially on mobile phones.

🎛️  Audio System  

11 hours ago, Jud said:

Yes, I've disliked a whole bunch of your posts by accident.

Good to know it was by accident Jud! ? Here is recent post that caught my eye as a suspisiously faulty dislike 

I cannot see that Speed Racer did anything to deserve that one! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

8 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Good to know it was by accident Jud! ? Here is recent post that caught my eye as a suspisiously faulty dislike 

I cannot see that Speed Racer did anything to deserve that one! ?

He and mani were in a bit of a "dislike" fest.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Just now, Jud said:

He and mani were in a bit of a "dislike" fest.

Aha! ? I did only see that perticular post and could'nt really tell why? He might have stepped on someones toes without me knowing about it! ? A bit childish to dislike anything the man does though! ?

🎛️  Audio System