IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

1 minute ago, Cornan said:

Aha! ? I did only see that perticular post and could'nt really tell why? He might have stepped on someones toes without me knowing about it! ? A bit childish to dislike anything the man does though! ?

On the part of both (and yet another user who went through the Yggy thread and, along with SR, "disliked" most of mani's posts there).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

20 minutes ago, Jud said:

On the part of both (and yet another user who went through the Yggy thread and, along with SR, "disliked" most of mani's posts there).

Ok ok, I can see that he had it coming! For sure not a disslike made by misstake! ?

Are you absolutely sure you made your ones by misstake? ?

🎛️  Audio System  

10 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Are you absolutely sure you made your ones by misstake? ?

:D

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I completely forgot to tell that after a period of getting used to the new CA I am very happy with the new look, especially with the blue theme. Works great and is actually easier now after some "burn-in"! ?

As a foreigner I would'nt mind having a longer period of time to change my spelling- and/or sentence misstakes without getting flagged or running out of time, but that is all minor complains. Overall an improvement worth a golden star for Chris! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

3 hours ago, Cornan said:

recent post that caught my eye as a suspisiously faulty dislike...

cannot see that Speed Racer did anything to deserve that one! ?

Simply click on the 'heart/number' box and you will be shown who-did-what  :)

"blue theme"  ???

Suggestion:  Get rid of the reputation thing, or at least the negative reps and display count under the avatar.

I guess I am grateful that I have a large positive number, but I just saw the post of a perfectly reasonable member, a good citizen, etc, who has a fairly large negative number in red below his avatar.  That just doesn't seem right.  Some people have numbers here higher than that of Chris.  Whereas I think everyone regards those folks highly, that just doesn't seem right either.  But it is the down-voting and the negative numbers, along with the running tally on display, that I think can have a bit of a negative impact...

1 minute ago, wgscott said:

Suggestion:  Get rid of the reputation thing, or at least the negative reps and display count under the avatar.

I guess I am grateful that I have a large positive number, but I just saw the post of a perfectly reasonable member, a good citizen, etc, who has a fairly large negative number in red below his avatar.  That just doesn't seem right.  Some people have numbers here higher than that of Chris.  Whereas I think everyone regards those folks highly, that just doesn't seem right either.  But it is the down-voting and the negative numbers, along with the running tally on display, that I think can have a bit of a negative impact...

Let's dig into this one a bit. All options are on the table. I have no allegiance to the reputation system.

Perhaps it's like anything, it can be used for good and bad. Yesterday someone signed up just to give @manisandher some negative reputation points. This wasn't cool, so I removed the negative votes. That's not a long term strategy. I can see certain factions voting against a member of another faction, just like people do in the real world. I guess such is life. Does this mean we can't let adults be adults and trust them to be reasonable with the power of the reputation point system? I don't know. 

We can enable positive voting only, but something rubs me the wrong way with that. Kind of like participation trophies and patting ourselves on the back. 

Does the chance that one's "reputation" can go up or down, change the way people post? If yes, for the better or worse or both?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 minute ago, Jud said:

So, like war, what is the reputation number good for?  Presumably for telling newer people "Here's someone helpful and/or knowledgeable."

I don't think it's serving that function, as I can say without fear of contradiction I am far from the most helpful or knowledgeable(!) person on this site.

It's really being used for two purposes: Agree/disagree; and like/dislike the person or his/her opinion.  Neither of these helps a newbie in terms of who to trust.  I think it's probably better for new folks to do this the old-fashioned way: read what people write and make up their own minds.

Shorter: I agree with Bill.

Do you think the reputation system changes what people say when posting?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

42 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Do you think the reputation system changes what people say when posting?

I found the notifications of who was liking me (I either never got a dislike, or I only got notifications of the likes) a bit awkward.  I sort of felt compelled to like something they said, back, and it did probably change what I post, but not for the better.  Enough so that I turned off all notifications, so now I have no idea if someone "likes" my post unless I go back and look for it.  Sometimes I get a "like" for something that was intended to be funny, which I guess is nice, but it has nothing to do with helpfulness content or anything like that.

All of this is only a suggestion, and I even understand that this was implemented before the software upgrade, but it seems to have taken on a new prominence somehow with the upgrade.  But what really bothered me was seeing someone who I have always regarded as a good citizen and not particularly controversial or abrasive or anything with a -80 bright red number.  If that was me, I would probably just quit the forum rather than be forced to display the scarlet integer.

On 3/27/2017 at 9:53 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I'm working on it. Fortunately Comcast is working with a third party and I've contacted that third part. They can't be more difficult to work with than Comcast. This is important to me and I will continue to do what I can. 

You must have gotten the E-mail to work, my phone exploded with CA E-mails earlier today.  Job well done :D

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

One thing that I think would be nice (well for me anyway) would be a way of indicating, in the unread content, what are new threads since my last visit - perhaps by having a different colour for their title. I've no idea whether this is possible, but some way of quickly seeing what's new (as opposed to additions to what's old) would be nice.

LMS on Odroid XU4; HQPlayer on i7-8700; iFi iGalvanic; T+A DAC 8 DSD; Benchmark AHB2; Quad ESL 2805s + two Acoustic Energy subs.

23 minutes ago, ShawnC said:

You must have gotten the E-mail to work, my phone exploded with CA E-mails earlier today.  Job well done :D

Yes! I little public complaining via Twitter and the company immediately unblocked CA emails :~)

1 minute ago, Ralf11 said:

here is a minor 1st world problem:

when you Quote a post and reply, there is very little vertical space (is that "kerning"??) between the end of their quote and your reply

also, would be nice to see other people's equipment lists like in the old forum software

You've touched on the issue of fixing one thing, but causing something else to be annoying. When the forum launched, the default behavior for the enter key was "new paragraph" rather than going to the next line. With the default setting, when you quoted someone there was automatically a nice space between the qupted words and the new comment. However, this new paragraph behavior was annoying so I set to to work like all other sites work. Now, the enter key works like normal, but the comments under a quote start immediately below and are too close. The solution is to hit enter once or twice to move the comment further down the page.

Equipment lists are free-form now rather than the boxes to fill in. People can add these in the About Me section of their profiles. And, put them in their signatures for display below each post.

Thanks for keeping up the feedback guys. I would tell everyone to have a good weekend, but isn't that something you say to someone when you're parting ways until the weekend is over? I have a feeling we'll be here all weekend :~)

3 minutes ago, wgscott said:

I found the notifications of who was liking me (I either never got a dislike, or I only got notifications of the likes) a bit awkward.

The notifications are apparently only for likes. I've had a few dislikes and didn't get a notification.

3 minutes ago, wgscott said:

But what really bothered me was seeing someone who I have always regarded as a good citizen and not particularly controversial or abrasive or anything with a -80 bright red number.  If that was me, I would probably just quit the forum rather than be forced to display the scarlet integer.

I think I know who you're thinking of. Makes no sense.

16 minutes ago, richard kimber said:

One thing that I think would be nice (well for me anyway) would be a way of indicating, in the unread content, what are new threads since my last visit - perhaps by having a different colour for their title. I've no idea whether this is possible, but some way of quickly seeing what's new (as opposed to additions to what's old) would be nice.

New threads seem to have a larger font for the title.