IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

25 minutes ago, Jud said:

With such a filter at the recording end, an MQA DAC filter would alias and image, causing intermodulation distortion.

As I have written, both in this thread and in Stereophile but you must have missed, the probability of there being aliased image energy in the audioband with high-quality recordings of music having a typical spectrum, is very low.  Yes, with music having high amounts of top-octave energy, such as victims of the Loudness Wars that can have an almost-white spectrum, this probability is very much higher. But such recordings sound awful even with steep-rolloff, linear-phase anti-imaging filters.

John Atkinson

Technical Editor, Stereophile

3 hours ago, mansr said:

If you look at your own graphs, you'll see that even the Ayre "listen" filter reaches about 90 dB attenuation at 40 kHz and stays there. In contrast, the MQA filters achieve at best 40 dB attenuation apart from a few narrow dips. Like this:

image.thumb.png.fbf1b6370bdc0269f12da519b495fc7a.png

I am note sure what filter that is, other than a simple moving-average type.  If you look at fig.2 in my measurements of the Mytek Liberty DAC (below) - which uses one of the MQA filters for all PCM data - see https://www.stereophile.com/content/mytek-liberty-da-processor-measurements - the filter has a slow rolloff off above the audioband, with very little suppression of the image at 25kHz of a 19.1kHz tone. However, there are no aliased images of this high-level tone in the audioband and the stop-band attenuation is consistent with frequency..

John Atkinson

1018MyLibfig02.jpg

2 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

As I have written, both in this thread and in Stereophile but you must have missed, the probability of there being aliased image energy in the audioband with high-quality recordings of music having a typical spectrum, is very low.  Yes, with music having high amounts of top-octave energy, such as victims of the Loudness Wars that can have an almost-white spectrum, this probability is very much higher. But such recordings sound awful even with steep-rolloff, linear-phase anti-imaging filters.

John Atkinson

John, I just got back from a concert in Texas. Dr Dog and Shakey Graves put out a lot top-octave energy live Saturday night.

Little hand says its time to rock and roll.

2 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

I am note sure what filter that is, other than a simple moving-average type.  If you look at fig.2 in my measurements of the Mytek Liberty DAC (below) - which uses one of the MQA filters for all PCM data - see https://www.stereophile.com/content/mytek-liberty-da-processor-measurements - the filter has a slow rolloff off above the audioband, with very little suppression of the image at 25kHz of a 19.1kHz tone. However, there are no aliased images of this high-level tone in the audioband and the stop-band attenuation is consistent with frequency..

John Atkinson

1018MyLibfig02.jpg

Before I scrolled down to @mansrpost JA I saw this and said "this is not an MQA filter".

An error has been made...

edit:  what's the date of this measurement?  was it when this DAC first came out?  was there not an firmware update that "fixed" several issues with this DAC early in its lifecycle (going from memory here)?  If this is in fact how its measured during this early period with MQA material (properly selected), I am wondering if one of things that was "fixed" and/or updated was its MQA filters...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

5 minutes ago, Doug Schneider said:

"That right there should tell you what you need to know."

MQA's claims about delivering the sound of the studio and raves from opinion influencers about the birth of a new world cannot survive without a cloak of mystery and NDA's.  I don't expect any clarification of technical details from MQA, just more technobabble.  As long as MQA can achieve their business development goals without responding to challenges posed here, they aren't likely to welcome further scrutiny.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

27 minutes ago, Doug Schneider said:

I would say who said this, but I didn't ask his permission, so I won't name him out loud. But when I told a top digital designer I couldn't get any technical details from the company to truly prove their claims, he replied with, "That right there should tell you what you need to know."

This whole deblurring thing, if true, could've been so easily proved. Get an ADC that's the supposed culprit. Record something that's "blurry." Then "unblur" it. Prove to everyone you can. Case closed. But no........... instead, let some audio writers tell the world it can and have them dig their heels further and further into the ground when asked.

I come from a technical background in IT -- any time someone came with some claim, the first thing you did was ask them to prove it. If they were real, they did.

Doug Schneider

SoundStage!

This is one of the big issues. MQA hasn't proven anything about it. All they say, you know *WINK WINK* and that is it. It causes me to pause.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

1 hour ago, mansr said:

Clearly (to any EE undergrad student), it is not a simple moving average. It is one of the MQA 8x upsampling filters extracted from a Dragonfly DAC.

That's not one of the normal MQA filters. Your plot ends at 100 kHz, and noise sets in around -125 dB, so it's hard to tell what the true frequency response looks like. The impulse response plot in the article is too squashed to be of much use. It does, however, show that the sign is flipped, something I have never seen MQA do. The straight slope in the transition band is also unheard of in MQA filters.

As you mention in the article, the attenuation of the 25 kHz image is less than 20 dB. Looking at the higher frequency images, we find the one at 63.2 kHz attenuated by ~100 dB and the one at 69 kHz by a little less than 90 dB. There is clearly considerable variation in the stop band, as is also hinted at by the wavy "floor" in the graph.

The "generic" MQA filter used for content with an original sample rate of 96 kHz or lower looks like this:

image.thumb.png.86a282f9e96655827a1b3ac5b4bc2248.png

Once again, your ignorance of how aliasing/imaging works is betrayed.

Come on mansr, just because his digitally created test tones had no DAC aliasing? :)

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.