IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

23 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

Yes, a magazine like Stereophile reviews a lot of products that its typical reader will not be able to afford. See my essay at

https://www.stereophile.com/content/conspicuous-consumption

in which I both offer an answer to the question "Why does a magazine read by regular middle-class people devote space to products that might as well be made from unobtainium?" and examine why the high-end audio industry is undergoing an upward price spiral.

John Atkinson

Technical Editor, Stereophile

There is nothing wrong with that. All one needs do is look at car magazines. They review and look at all price levels (very balanced, BTW). If you look at Stereophile, there are more high end reviews than there are more affordable products. Is it because, the writers want to do it? The manufactures? Or a combination? While it is great to see the reviews, it is better to see and hear in person, hence why AXPONA is nice. 

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

5 minutes ago, Doug Schneider said:

I'm not going to wade into why these publications acted the way they did when MQA first came out -- and remained on that train even though some of the best experts in digital (Robert Watts, John Siau, among others) were waving red flags left, right, and center. Instead, I want to bring up something I believe is critical that is potentially very destructive regarding MQA and most people are not talking about -- the implementation of the MQA filter as the sole playback filter for all files.

Many designers I've talked to (and I've talked to many) have said that ideally, MQA wants their filter used for all playback. If I'm not mistaken, a number of DAC makers did just that -- used the MQA filter for all PCM routed through. The problem is, while the MQA filter might be fine for MQA playback, from what I've learned, it's not the best filter for standard PCM -- it's a very "leaky" filter, among other issues. That said, IMO, those suppliers that implemented the MQA filter for all playback may have severely compromised their DACs doing so. I know I would never buy a DAC that has only the MQA filter.

Thankfully, though, not all companies did that. The Hegel H390 that I have here supports MQA, but it has dual paths through the filters for MQA and non-MQA material, as have others. But it's something I believe that potential buyers should look into. This, to me, is crucial -- but why didn't the magazines that championed MQA report on that? One can only guess...

Doug Schneider
SoundStage!

Doug,

Thanks for this. That is why I haven't updated my iFi Nano I use at work. I do not want to deal with that issue. I also have some DSD files and would not be able to play them.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

9 minutes ago, botrytis said:

If you look at Stereophile, there are more high end reviews than there are more affordable products. Is it because, the writers want to do it? The manufactures? Or a combination?

As explained in the essay of mine that I linked to, it is what readers, who vote with the wallets, want.

John Atkinson

2 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

As explained in the essay of mine that I linked to, it is what readers, who vote with the wallets, want.

John Atkinson

I do vote with my wallet. All the time.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

In re Stereo magazines, the 1%, aspiration and such like.

A car magazine will sell more copies with a nice sports car on the cover.

A stereo (audio) publication will sell more copies with an expensive product on the cover.

Boys (and it is a male domain) just like to look at the nice stuff.   A Porsche will get you to the local Safeway, so will a Volkswagen.

Most of us will also agree that the value of a Best Buy bog standard integrated amplifier will play music well within Audiophile standards.  The diminishing returns from a five-figure amplifier,  in comparison, are well documented.  

I think aspiration, to a certain extent,  drives progress.  I know I will never have a Porsche, but I love to look.

momentum_integrated_1.thumb.jpg.a9c9f51a1dfca725a30bc83869e34682.jpg

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

31 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

John Atkinson

I want to say, I appreciate your testing of equipment. Why isn't that done with everything in audio? I am just wondering.....

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

3 minutes ago, Doug Schneider said:

I give Hegel kudos for sticking to their guns and implementing MQA their way

If you're in the process of reviewing the Hegel, and it does the same type of back/forth switching as the iFis and the dCS', would you mind considering asking them a rough estimate of how many man-hours went into getting that to work ?

(and yeah, it's totally to quiet the "but... but... but... MQA is FREE to the consumer !!!" type arguments some of the shills like to try)

4 minutes ago, mansr said:

iFi initially did the right thing (if a bit sloppily), using MQA processing only for MQA files. Then they switched all PCM to the so-called GTO filter, insisting it had nothing to do with MQA despite being identical to one of the MQA filters.

The iFi site claims the Micro iDSD BL offers switchable PCM filters. Are they all GTO types? That’s not the impression they give. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

45 minutes ago, botrytis said:

I want to say, I appreciate your testing of equipment. Why isn't that done with everything in audio? I am just wondering.....

The testing equipment I have access to is very expensive. A QuantAsylum QA401 is $450. I'm giving reviewers until next year to get one or I'm viewing them as third class citizens in the audio world. Anyone thinking about spending more than $30k should probably get one too.