IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

9 minutes ago, FredericV said:

This is complete BS:

image.thumb.png.5656de61d420c9f26694c4b9cfa4c4c5.png

http://thehbproject.com/nl/artikelen/38/6/MQA---Kwaliteitsgarantie

To bury data below 144dB you would need a 32 bit distribution file instead of the 24 bit MQA distribution files.

That's not quite correct. The y axis in the graph should be labelled dB/Hz. The -144 dB value is the integral of this across the full frequency range.

9 minutes ago, FredericV said:

There is no third unfold.

That is 100% true.

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I always enjoy when the old guard parachutes into a topic and explains how I should do my job and that I should control this community. 

I think that is what provokes people here.  The assumption that we need to be controlled and shown how to be "civil" (tow the line).

I think what provokes the "old guard" is that there are people who don't regard their word as gospel.

I think the old saying that you don't argue with people that buy ink by the barrel went out with the advent of the internet.  We can all "buy ink by the barrel".

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

1 hour ago, Doug Schneider said:

If I recall, someone compared an 18-bit/96kHz FLAC file to an MQA file and found that it was smaller. Hmmmm...

Doug

Miska. A very, very long time ago in terms of the MQA discussion.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

4 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

Yes, a magazine like Stereophile reviews a lot of products that its typical reader will not be able to afford. See my essay at

https://www.stereophile.com/content/conspicuous-consumption

in which I both offer an answer to the question "Why does a magazine read by regular middle-class people devote space to products that might as well be made from unobtainium?" and examine why the high-end audio industry is undergoing an upward price spiral.

John Atkinson

Technical Editor, Stereophile

Thanks for the article.  The article states that "many people who will never be able to buy these products still want to read about them."  That seems to be the conventional wisdom. However, It's definitely not true for me.  I'm wondering if there are any studies to support it.  As far as car mags go, I may read the car mags that deal with the same stuff I'll deal with in real life -- seems to me only young kids stare at unobtanium.

mQa is dead!

4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Any technology or product worth its salt will only get stronger once subjected to objective critical examination. 

The people who who love MQA should be demanding the old guard put it through its paces. 

What say you @ARQuint?

It may be a moot point.  By the time the "old guard" gets on this, MQA will be long dead.

mQa is dead!

4 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

As explained in the essay of mine that I linked to, it is what readers, who vote with the wallets, want.

John Atkinson

Technical Editor, Stereophile

Perhaps the readers subcribe to the mag in spite of the unobtainium reviews (i.e. for the other material in the mag)? Have you asked them?

mQa is dead!

2 hours ago, crenca said:

Interesting how JA uses refers to this issue as "this problem", yet his publication did not say it was a problem as such, they just noted it...in the context of Stereophiles otherwise breathless promotion...so a reader would read this qualification in the positive and not negative.

That said, JA and the rest have truly dug themselves a hole and they are going to mine their current and past promotion of MQA for anything that can be interpreted as them reporting a "con" to MQA.  It won't work, there is too little there...

Until they decide to come clean they are in a lose, lose, lose position

Jim

3 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

The testing equipment I have access to is very expensive. A QuantAsylum QA401 is $450.

Where's the sarcasm font?

I'm giving reviewers until next year to get one or I'm viewing them as third class citizens in the audio world.

Surely, Stereophile can afford one of those.

Anyone thinking about spending more than $30k should probably get one too.

Not a bad idea.

mQa is dead!

Just now, james45974 said:

I gave up my subscriptions to Stereophile and TAS about 10 years ago and never looked back, I outgrew them.

I still read both publications but mainly just for the music reviews.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

9 minutes ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

Yikes. This has been a brutal week for the audio press here. What is one level up from being beaten to a pulp?

The ref needs to step in and show some compassion. 😎

The quiet, demure, "let's not cause a scene" stance of most in the press is what Bob S was counting on...rightly it turns out.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!