IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

11 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

I occasionally teach ethics as CPE for CPAs.  

The grad school, I went to, students had to take courses in ethics.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Remember, there’s no way judge complete formats. What tracks did you listen to?

also, remember that some MQA sounds far different from those who worked on the album say it should sound. If you like a flavor other than what the artist intended that’s totally OK. But, we shouldn’t mandate a flavor for everyone and that’s what MQA does. 

Excellent point. 

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

17 minutes ago, Archimago said:

Your're absolutely right, @crenca. As interesting as the suggestion may be for Mans to write an article and submit... That's not "our" job! Mans and others here have shared more than needed already.

This thread is long-running with over 700 pages. The topic has drawn the attention of many audiophiles and has been commented on by professional studio engineers (eg. Lucey, Waldrep). The technique has been questioned by well known audio designers (eg. Putzeys). Articles have been published on either side of the "debate". The facts have evolved over this time with many points worth considering - technical, discussion on rights control, even ethical around advertising and Industry.

As "journalists" who presumably are interested in objectivity, truth, and investigation (actual substance), one would imagine that they should be the ones reaching out, asking questions, producing articles as independent agents in search of disseminating understanding and presenting in detail the value of MQA for their readership to consider. When there are criticisms (even as @FredericVshowed, a non-controversial one like the fact that bits can be missing and the thing still "authenticates"!), where are the journalists independently verifying such an important defect?

Many of you over the years have contacted me directly over PM to clarify comments and we've had some nice chats. @The Computer Audiophile obviously saw the interest and was open to investigations and having information shared, thus the invitation to write the front page article. I've had discussions with hardware manufacturers over the years who PM'ed me after they saw the article here. But never a private word from the likes of the JA's to show that maybe they are truly wanting to clarify if I have ulterior motives or show interest in whether some of my claims may be inaccurate.

They seem to prefer hanging out here to question anonymity, suggest that maybe there are other motives like perhaps competitors might be spreading negative press. Yes, @Jim Austin, you can complain about "rabid online persona" (this goes both ways of course), but isn't it better to take leadership and show that as a journalist one can rise above that and address the issues plainly? Show by action why indeed there is no need to be critical if you believe that this is the case?

For me as simply an "audiophile" like most of you guys (I guess I just have the time and energy to write some articles 🙂), not only are the words written by the audiophile press in line with Industry promotion, but the nature of their actions speak louder than those words. Clearly a very strange form of "journalism" when it comes to dealing with MQA.

Here's a brief video on ethical journalism. Is this on the whole representative of the traditional audiophile press?

I don’t give them a passing grade on core values but I’m a pretty hash critic of the press especially the mainstream American press.

19 minutes ago, mansr said:

If that's not an offer of money, I don't know what it is. Well, I suppose it could be an offer to have someone "taken care of."

Image result for i have an offer you can't refuse meme

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

48 minutes ago, Thuaveta said:

Access. "Scoops". Nice dinners. "Long-term" "review" gear (that someone could then buy at a discount, and sell after they purchase another piece of "review" gear for their "reference" system). The possibilities are endless... let us convince you of how much better you could have it if you were nice to us...

We went to dinner in Munich a couple years ago with some other HiFi writers. It was brought up in the same conversation. 

Dinner didn’t work on me though. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

10 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

We went to dinner in Munich a couple years ago with some other HiFi writers. It was brought up in the same conversation. 

Dinner didn’t work on me though. 

Similar thing. I was invited to a party at the house of a CEO that makes equipment for Bioremediation. The house was San Clemente, Nixon's western WH. As it turned out, I was invited since I was with some EPA scientists and they thought I was one too (I was a contractor for the EPA at the time). So, I got invited and went. None of the EPA people came along. Since the house was 2 hrs from San Diego where the meeting was taking place, buses were provided. When they found out I was just a contractor, they let me be to enjoy the party, but others were rushed into the house for a special meeting, I was not.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

How about a concise repris of the DRM aspect?

MQA opens the door to DRM.

I understand that the file fingerprinting in MQA allows DRM (tho it is claimed to be only for higher SQ).

But, why is DRM so bad for consumers?  DRM benefits the owners of the music by reducing piracy.  (Note the musicians are often not the owners of the music).

But let us list specifics against DRM.

7 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

How about a concise repris of the DRM aspect?

MQA opens the door to DRM.

I understand that the file fingerprinting in MQA allows DRM (tho it is claimed to be only for higher SQ).

But, why is DRM so bad for consumers?  DRM benefits the owners of the music by reducing piracy.  (Note the musicians are often not the owners of the music).

But let us list specifics against DRM.

The most recent example of consequences of DRM: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48829661

It's not the first time this has happened, and it's unlikely to be the last.

Google "the books will stop working" for additional coverage. The simple absurdity of that phrase nicely sums up what is wrong with DRM.

6 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

When a company goes under, it's only the consumers who are screwed and without recourse. There's nobody to go after.

Your response puzzles me. If you remove DRM protections from a file, you are breaking the law, even if the company that sold it no longer exists.