IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Many of those don't bother me. Writers have creative license to describe these things how they wish. Number 5 could be innocent ignorance of what's going on and number 4 could use an explanation that all of this sonic change could be done without MQA.

The problem for me -- I normally try to avoid 'audiophile-jargon'. (not because of arrogance -- simply because don't seem to understand the language.)    When I have a friend write that language, it usually takes me a few iterations to figure out what technically is really happening.  There might have been some concrete and well defined language in the referred-to list of items by 'lucretius', but the dialect was so obscure to me that it was entertaining.

My language skills REALLY suck, and I struggle so hard to TRY desperately to write/speak in concrete & standard terms.  It is often significantly more difficult to write in concrete terms -- not always succeeding -- but I am trying to be technically as accurate as I can be.  (I admit to long, rambling messages that could probably be cut by 1/2 -- and I do try to economize.)

However -- 'feeling/mood' language adds a layer of complexity on the goal to actually communicate.  When someone might claim that a piece of software produces  'excessive sibilance' (which is a good description) -- that gives me a hint as to what is going on, and then I can refer to the frequency response curves of U47/SM57 and other oft-used vocal mics, research if there might be other problems also -- interpreting the language into an actual cause.   On the other hand, when something is written like 'makes me cringe' -- it adds a layer of search and translation to figure out what the complaint really means.  If I didn't REALLY REALLY care to communicate, I'd blow off the matter, but I really do care.  I really want to communicate.

Maybe I am biased because emotional/feeling language has frustrated me so often that I am emotionally tied up about it -- but a lot of times, there can be technically more accurate language.  The  language used in the audiophile community is similar in complexity to the actual techno-speak, so why not morph to a more technically clear language.  Sometimes I am even confused as to what I am trying to explain -- but I try to explain with caveats -- not create a new term or choose imprecise jargon.

I do REALLY admit that I have probably become a little biased because it is a recurring frustration, and is mostly not total incompetence on the part of those writing the jargon.  It would just be nice if the language would be 'regular' (in a language-technical sense) and easier to interpret.  (I had a heck of a time trying to translate the improved/more structrually continuous front-back stereo image when using my software, how does one communicate that fact in 'jargon''?)  I subsequently read someone using the term 'height', but still don't really know what that means -- but I have a FEELING about it :-).

John

50 minutes ago, Jud said:

This is a problem specifically with regard to MQA and the journalism around it.  MQA deliberately uses non-standard language like "deblurring" and "unfolding."  If they then produced white papers describing what these meant in standard terms - filters that aren't as subject to the Gibbs effect for "deblurring," upsampling or still better interpolation/sample rate conversion for "unfolding" - I'd give them a pass for using marketing-speak with laypeople and clearing it up for the technically savvy.  But they haven't done so.  This task then falls naturally to audio journalists.  But I've seen nothing of the kind from the larger audio magazines (as always, happy to be corrected if I'm wrong).  It just seems so fundamental to me that audio journalists ought to be clearly explaining to audiophiles what is actually happening with the equipment and software being marketed to them.  Science journalists (good ones) do this about science, economics journalists do this about economics....  I think it's absolutely part of the job description, or should be.

@ARQuint - Andrew, I certainly don't have an axe to grind with regard to the magazines.  I haven't indulged in speculation about motives, or made personal or angry comments.  It's simply frustrating to me that the magazines haven't taken up more discussion of what I see as clearly put technical criticisms of MQA made here by quite reasonably competent people like mansr and Miska, aside from anything said by the pseudonymous Archimago.  As an audiophile, I want to know what's going on.  I'm not getting that.  I can't see a good reason why I shouldn't, since I do get it with journalism on other subjects, many quite a bit more complex than anything to do with audio.  So I hope you can understand my frustration as someone who would like to learn more from people who say they have another side to the story, but won't provide that story to me in clear and understandable terms.

We do have articles by the newer JA which appears to mimic or add support to the blurry definitions of standard terms MQA uses.  Reads almost like a shill version which MQA approved of prior to publication.  I like some others would like for Stereophile to print an article from Mansr and those mansr wished to have work on it with him. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

15 hours ago, ARQuint said:

Because one can make the arguments regarding lossy / lossless and DRM only so many times, the focus of the Vaporware thread has slowly morphed into a continuing dismissal of the longer-established magazines as corrupt and out-of-touch: "Old Guard" is the echo-chamber talking point term. In recent days, the criticism has included as evidence the fact that writers of these publications get to purchase gear at a reduced cost.

I chose to ring in because this is an odd point to make as CC and others at AS - as I'm sure most forum members assumed - have taken advantage of accommodation pricing and for the same reason I did - I have a much better audio system than I'd otherwise have to evaluate equipment and recordings and, as a result, can produce more useful reviews. Of course, Chris doesn't have to apologize. But this serves to underscore points I've made before in this forum. First, that TAS (and Stereophile) is about much more than MQA - equipment and music reviews, interviews, etc. Second, Audiophile Style has an awful lot in common with the supposedly godless "Old Guard" publications in the way it obtains and evaluates equipment, as well as the content and style of the reviews themselves.  If you feel that TAS and Stereophile are "wrong" about MQA, fine. But recognize that AS isn't some completely new animal, a novel species that will transform the audiophile world. AS joins an ecosystem that's evolved continuously over half a century, to the benefit of sound-conscious music-lovers far and wide.

Andrew, I don't blame people for taking this tone. As what might be considered a "new guard" reviewer, I have some insight into your world.  I don't disagree with what you say, but my perspective of what has happened, as I explained in my previous posts, is more I believe the result of members of the audio press being taken by surprise, discovering from technical analysis, that MQA was, and is, based on a number of blatant lies, and even after the "lossless" term was removed, continued deception as to how it works, and whether it can do what it says it does. They have been caught in a very uncomfortable position.

I came to CA/AS to learn more about MQA as people were asking me about it, because my aim, as a reviewer, is to give the best, succinct understanding of the technical issues, and my experiences with products, so that a person can judge whether it would be suitable for them or not to buy. If I find I've made a mistake in a review, I correct it, which is the right thing to do.

However, itt has been pointed out to many members of the audiophile press that MQA does not have an "original resolution" beyond 96 kHz, and that writing that MQA was "unfolded to 192 kHz" or similar in their publications is false. When some other publications were contacted years ago and were informed that MQA was not lossless, they corrected their reviews. So far, we've seen zero corrections or updates on Stereophile, going all the way back to the original article about it. Can you really blame people for being highly suspicious when they refuse to correct factual errors in their publications?

9 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I think the JA's and AQ, et al, are just trolling the forum.  How many questions about MQA have they answered without any deflection or disingenuousness? My count is zero.

That's somewhat unfair. John Atkinson did actually go out of his way to reproduce one of mansr's tests. Though they have been dancing around the elephant in the room more recently. I find it interesting that they have been silent about the issue of corrections, and how to present MQA unfolding and up-sampling in articles.  Maybe we'll see a change, maybe not.  What they choose to do now will decide their future. There are many companies out there no longer with us because they tried to rely on their status alone to deal with factual realities.

The present situation reminds me too much of John 15:22 (and I'm not religious):

"If I had not come and spoken to them, they would have no sin, but now they have no excuse for their sin"

6 hours ago, lucretius said:

Also, 4 writers/editors at the same show. Didn't strike me that Stereophile had that much money to burn. All expenses paid?

Getting a little picky here, I think. That's what audio maganzines do, and it takes more than one person to cover a good size show. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Real life and your preference are at odds here. There’s nothing special about audio, but it’s a tiny niche that doesn’t attract a broad audience that could fund a reader supported model. I’m sure the same can be said for luxury watches and many other non-special categories. 

I’d love to get rid of advertisements but that model only works for Consumer Reports and publications with large pockets / trust funds. 

I was talking about the writing style of the reviewers is all.

It isn't a preference really, just thinking out loud, it is morning after all and I don't have much in the way of science to deal with this morning, for a change. :D

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

2 hours ago, Jud said:

Consumer Reports takes no advertising, but it's much more of a general interest publication that has a subscription and donor base an audio magazine couldn't hope to duplicate.

That's true.  But Stereophile might greatly increase their subscription base, if they stopped targeting the 1%.

mQa is dead!