IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

38 minutes ago, Tintinabulum said:

Paid for by a competitor?

Based on reading the reason(s) for the low ratings, that would rarely be the case.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

20 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

A manufacturer of D/A processors whose sales are suffering due to the lack of MQA decoding ability?

To be serious, I was recently told by a retailer that he is seeing MQA evolve from push marketing to pull marketing, ie, he now has would-be customers who ask if a DAC they are thinking of buying decodes MQA. In that environment, not having MQA puts a manufacturer at a competitive disadvantage regardless of the merits or lack thereof of the codec. 

John Atkinson

Technical Editor, Stereophile

I've recently visited high end audio stores in four western states. Didn't hear MQA mentioned once. 

When you go to your niece's wedding please get a good picture of yourself and send it to me. I will use it to put the brakes on this pull marketing you mentioned.

Yup, that's what dealers are telling me. Only people looking for high end mention it (fomo, I think. Perhaps that's the reason manufacturers are doing/offering MQA).

What I hear, is that people are moving away from Tidal and opting for Qobuz. Goodby to the " what the artist.... blabla...".

53 minutes ago, Thuaveta said:

Why would they stake their reputations and relationships ?

Exactly what "reputation" are you referring to?

Much of what I'm aware of are not very complimentary.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

6 hours ago, Jim Austin said:

You seem like a smart guy. So you can understand that this "saying" you've carted out, which I've never heard before, doesn't mean what you seem to think it means. If you throw rocks into a pack of dogs, you will hit random dogs, and the ones you hit are likely to yelp. It's a little different with people, some of whom care about their reputations. That's why you shouldn't toss stones without cause, at dogs or at people. 

It's also worth considering that by posting scurrilous accusations on the Internet, you're effectively tossing stones from behind a tall fence--an act of cowardice. (I'll say it again though: To your credit, it least you don't cower behind a pseudonym.)

Without evidence, you cannot know whether the rumor you reported is true. If you don't know if its' true, you shouldn't repeat it--your mother taught you that much at least, right?

Provide evidence or delete your post. To do otherwise would be to further expose a serious lack of character. 

Jim Austin, Editor

Stereophile

I've got a question for you.  Are you under any NDA in regards to MQA? 

@Jim Austin

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

5 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

Neither Jim nor I did any of that. What I did do was object to Archimago's need for anonymity. While I understand Archimago's reasons, I disagree with them.

But I do agree with Jim's point. If any of you have evidence that any writer for Stereophile is taking kickbacks, not just from MQA but from any manufacturer, please come forward with it. If you don't have evidence, then you should not make such unfounded accusations.

John Atkinson

Technical Editor, Stereophile

Same question for the other JA.  Are you under any NDA in regards to MQA?

@John_Atkinson

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

3 hours ago, mansr said:

Academics, supposedly at least one. Knowledgeable, no evidence of any.

you forgot Kal - tho I don't know if he has an appt. up near Harlem but AFAIK his forte is not in electronics (not that all of SQ resides in electronics)

JA2 has a PhD in physics but no academic appt. - why he isn't knowledgeable in this area is up to the reader to guess

JA1 used to teach high school and has a MS or MA in something, maybe physics