IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

contra Chris's 2+2 post above, I do think that credentials - i.e. expertise - is of some value.

The ultimate is a series of valid experiments (esp. if epidemiological data are confirmed by mechanistic models - as in the London cholera example, I've posted a couple of times).

Below that is the testimony of qualified experts - the US Court system recognizes this hierarchy for evidentiary matters.

Just now, esldude said:

Well I wanted to keep the questions simple, and easy. 

The very first time I read about MQA it was obvious the Authentication was total BS.  It is simply unworkable.  But sure, be nice if JA wishes to address that too.  Another one of those loopholes in regard to authentication is what if an artist heard the result and said, "I don't like what MQA does, no approval from me".  

Understood. But note that Stereophile, and after, webzines, pushed the "authentication" angle as a "benefit" for consumers. 

37 minutes ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

Understood. But note that Stereophile, and after, webzines, pushed the "authentication" angle as a "benefit" for consumers. 

Yes, no disagreement from me.  The initial claims were so good as to be suspicious.  Another red flag was the time blurring spiel.  My second step was to find and read the patents related to MQA.  That clued me into some aspects of MQA not being better or even good.  Mansr and others in time determined exactly what it does and what is going on.  There are zero benefits for fidelity, there are zero benefits to consumers, and authentication is a farce.  So I'd like to know do the JA's admit/agree to the fidelity limitations imposed by MQA, and if so why are they still speaking well of it or for that matter why would anyone with that knowledge even have a neutral opinion?  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

7 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

I was recently told by a retailer that he is seeing MQA evolve from push marketing to pull marketing, ie, he now has would-be customers who ask if a DAC they are thinking of buying decodes MQA

Not too terribly surprising given the heavy promotion of MQA in the trade press, I can see some Stereophile or TAS readers having that conversation with a retailer based on that.

That's called FOMO, driven my proclamations of paradigm shifts and new digital eras having been entered... a whole new world being birthed.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

9 hours ago, Jim Austin said:

Motivations matter. Plus, the need for anonymity itself raises questions. A verified survivor of domestic violence may require such a shield Also, political dissidents. None of that applies here. Anonymous posters here simply want to be shielded from the consequences of their irresponsible online behavior. Many anonymous people here just don't want the inconvenience of having their real identities linked to the opinions they express online. Maybe their employer wouldn't approve; it might even put their jobs at risk. Which, if nothing else, shows how lightly they take these issues, even as they post ugly, rabid things. This disproportionality between their rabid online persona and the meek, cowardly choice is itself is reason for concern. And here I am not speaking of Archimago, who as far as I know has generally been more measured, but of anonymous posters more broadly. It's great to avoid consequences for your irresponsible actions.

So, please tell us why Mark Twain used a pseudonym. I always wanted to know ...

mQa is dead!

11 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

If any of you have evidence that any writer for Stereophile is taking kickbacks, not just from MQA but from any manufacturer, please come forward with it. If you don't have evidence, then you should not make such unfounded accusations.

Such is offered as an explanation for support for MQA.  If there is a better explanation, please let us know.

mQa is dead!

10 hours ago, Jim Austin said:

There you go--doubling down on spreading rumors. 

Here's a great explanation of why so many posters wish to remain anonymous. I say this quite realizing that many here will jump to your defense, simply because they agree with you. If you had posted anonymously, the taint on your character from engaging in such unprincipled behavior would be only online. No one would be able to link the online taint to the real you. But your identity is known, I believe. 

Jim Austin, Editor

Stereophile

LOL, a little backhander in there.

mQa is dead!

11 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

This was examined on this forum/ I don't see why I need to repeat it all when you are as capable of using a search engine as I am. My point was that neither Jim nor I have defamed Archimago, as was stated as fact by another poster.

John Atkinson

Technical Editor, Stereophile

Then why do you and the other JA point out that poster's (and other posters) "anonymity", if not to defame that poster?

mQa is dead!