IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

31 minutes ago, Jud said:

This fellow sounds quite fair and balanced.

Yep, he's got us to dead to rights there - mp3 fanatics here!

Got us again - talk of FLAC, ALAC, or wireless networking strictly verboten here. 🙄

Yeah, I don't get that article. He talks about how necessary such a compression codec is for streaming services. 

No one has ever given me a compelling reason why that's true in 2023. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

28 minutes ago, firedog said:

Yeah, I don't get that article. He talks about how necessary such a compression codec is for streaming services. 

No one has ever given me a compelling reason why that's true in 2023. 

Even if it is, FLAC actually makes smaller files for equivalent resolution, so that argument is either completely unexamined or completely dishonest on the part of those who make it.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

On 5/22/2021 at 4:28 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

mQa’s only out is to sell the IP to Dolby, and have Dolby back door it into everything because Dolby can move the needle with most companies unlike mQa. I hope it never happens though. 

I still think this is the only logical way out for mQa. However, that logic is really weak because Dolby is hitting a home run with Atmos for music right now. Atmos goes from two channel stereo to 16 channel immersive. It’s all encompassing. 

I wish I knew more about Dolby’s purchase of MLP back in the day. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I still think this is the only logical way out for mQa. However, that logic is really weak because Dolby is hitting a home run with Atmos for music right now. Atmos goes from two channel stereo to 16 channel immersive. It’s all encompassing. 

I have the King Crimson Atmos mix on Blu ray, but only a two channel system to play it on.  I will try downmixing it and give a listen.  I hope it actually works on the Sony.

11 minutes ago, yamamoto2002 said:

Are MQA encoded music files able to be decoded properly when official MQA decoder is disappeared? I heard it is protected by DRM and there is no legal way to decode properly by the third party even after all related patents are expired

The decoder is proprietary and unavailable outside of licensed products. The upsampling can be done after the decoding. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I wish I knew more about Dolby’s purchase of MLP back in the day. 

Yup, and Dolby also has lossy EAC3+Atmos covered. They don't need anything MQA (/Meridian) might be trying to sell this time round.

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

39 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The decoder is proprietary and unavailable outside of licensed products. The upsampling can be done after the decoding. 

Oh that's unfortunate. Some higher frequency part of the music will be lost forever at some point of time. it is damnatio memoriae of 21st century

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin

6 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

I'll buy it for $1!

And will say - keep the change!

I agree. Their folding, driven by self destructing intellectual property, should continue up to black hole singularity.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

MQA is just a useless addition of technical "complications" that no one felt the need for: dacs that are just renderers, dacs full decoders, only via usb or also via coax, passthrough, players and streamers that do the first unfolding, players and streamers who do passthrough ...
The "complications" are interesting, and valuable, in watches like IWC but certainly not in HiFi.

Stefano

My audio system

11 hours ago, Skirmash said:

Would Tidal themselves consider purchasing it? They have sunk significant effort into making MQA a point of difference!

Tidal keeps losing money too and has less than 1% of the streaming market. They will probably be next to go.

Volumio (with PEQ) on RPi4, Khadas Tone Board DAC, Luxman L-230 amp, Rega RS5 speakers

41 minutes ago, bambadoo said:

So when will TAS, Stereophile and other pro MQA sites  the fantastic news to the public?

Usually they are pretty quick when there are some mqa news. 

Hhm, delicate situation over there.

For an industry outsider their extreme supportive behavior may have indicated "special interests" with MQA, that now may dry up or render worthless.

22 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The eternal optimist. Next time I have a bad day, I should call Peter V. He could spin any tragedy into a can't lose, opportunity not to be missed. I have to give him credit. 

Classic cognitive dissonance. He's spent years vociferously defending it, no matter what.

What will he say when it actually fails and goes away?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)