IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

4 hours ago, RichardSF said:

Tidal have skin in the game and I think it's a definite possibility. It wouldn't be Tidal itself purchasing MQA, but Tidal's owner Block Inc. Block (Square) paid $300M for Tidal and they can easily purchase MQA.

I'd guess that Tidal will drop it within a year.  MQA has no benefit to them.  Or anyone.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

20 minutes ago, bambadoo said:

But he does not fold. 

He doesn't indeed, he also seems a bit blurry in comparison with Stuart.

Ok, does someone know what I should buy to hang out with Scarlett Johansson? I will pay for snacks.

On 4/8/2023 at 12:35 AM, Jud said:

They’re really not able to be decoded ‘properly,’ in the sense of being faithful to the original, even with the official decoder, because encoding uses lossy compression and truncation of bits (to substitute bits that tell the decoder what to do); then that’s followed by filtering as part of the decoder that leaves aliasing/images. (I don’t know what the filtering looks like on the ADC side, but if MQA adheres to the same philosophy there it should behave similarly.) So once a file is encoded with the MQA process, some information is irretrievably lost. This is why I think the great pity of MQA while it lasted was not so much the bad productions, but the good carefully produced recordings that could have been yet better.

I don't know MQA algorithm. I understand it cannot be lossless compression because 2:1 or 4:1 (I read somewhere they compressed 176.4kHz PCM onto Compact Disc) fixed rate lossless compression is technically not possible, data with maximum Shannon entropy cannot be compressed further so all the lossless compression should be variable bit rate. Still, with some of the high frequency info can be stored and recovered by embedding a hint information onto least significant bit of PCM signal. While without proper decoding, the extra hint info becomes very non-musical noise and signal quality becomes worse than plain linear PCM and it is not good (at least in psychologically, may be it can be real audible noise issue in some corner cases). Similar technology HDCD, which squeezes extra 6dB ? of dynamic range using perceptual unevenness nature of linear PCM, is relatively benign because it is not DRM protected and it can be decoded properly forever.

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin

3 hours ago, yamamoto2002 said:

Still, with some of the high frequency info can be stored and recovered by embedding a hint information onto least significant bit of PCM signal.

I believe it uses the 3 least significant bits of the encoded signal (telling the DAC which of 16 or so filters to use among other things, which is a waste because they are all very similar), so that's 13 bits left for music in Redbook.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 minute ago, sphinxsix said:

That was ironic.

Is this ironic too.? (I never check audio scientists bios on Wiki)

An audio scientist would have studied physics. 

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

28 minutes ago, botrytis said:

An audio scientist would have studied physics. 

I think you’re a bit harsh on his credentials. He has a degree in Electrical Engineering and an extensive background that includes signal processing/ analysis, codecs etc.  That would cover substantial amount of relevant Physics. Audio Scientist suggests a research element… his bio suggests he has also made research contributions in the past, so I wouldn’t dispute the use of that description.

You may not like his viewpoint, but he has solid experience & credentials in the audio domain, as well as computing.

Grimm Mu-1 > Mola Mola Makua/DAC > Luxman m900u > Vivid Audio Kaya 90

43 minutes ago, Archimago said:

It is interesting isn't it seeing the lack of news about MQA over the last few days at places like: Stereophile, The Absolute Sound, HiFi+Darko Audio (usually happy to post any little press release), Twittering Machines, Positive Feedback... Maybe they'll say something ahead; would be even more fascinating if they say nothing at all because I'm sure posting on this topic would attract eyeballs on the page which is what they're all hoping to get, right? Maybe they're just off on Easter holiday.

Yes!

I think we'll see them come over one by one rather than publication by publication.

3 minutes ago, RichardSF said:

What do we love to talk about, more than anything else? MQA, of course!

This is the most active thread on the forum by far, with almost 26 thousand replies and over 2.2 million views. Nothing else comes remotely close. Let's aim for a stretch goal of 40K replies and 3M views!

image.thumb.png.a340557bfdd129e150f5abd9a95d6216.png

LOL. I think that will all depend on whether anyone coughs up the cash to keep this scheme going during the bankruptcy process!

I'm personally OK with retiring from MQA talk and just listen to music (stereo and multichannel of course!) going forward. ;-)

If SCL6/MQair is just adaptive bitrate streaming software without nonsensical "woo", then there's probably not much to debate about there. Could be "boring" gentlemen and ladies.

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

1 hour ago, krass said:

I think you’re a bit harsh on his credentials. He has a degree in Electrical Engineering and an extensive background that includes signal processing/ analysis, codecs etc.  That would cover substantial amount of relevant Physics. Audio Scientist suggests a research element… his bio suggests he has also made research contributions in the past, so I wouldn’t dispute the use of that description.

You may not like his viewpoint, but he has solid experience & credentials in the audio domain, as well as computing.

He was the gent pushing MS to be more closed system with their audio codec. 

The old phrase, what has he done lately.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

With the demise of MQA it's worth looking back at some of the early reactions from audiophile pundits. In a short post on The Absolute Sound in 2016 Robert Harley talks about this "...game changer not only for audiophiles, but for the entire music and audio industries" and linked to this YouTube video of early reactions to people listening to MQA. It's pretty hysterical.