IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

11 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I've been thinking about this one. Perhaps it has something to do with who exposed the falsehoods. How can one hammer against online forums and forum members, then credit them for anything, especially something that could've been seen long ago? That's a rhetorical question obviously.

I did my best to credit contributors to this forum for the valuable work they accomplished.

It's not incompatible with a plea for recognition that we are really all on the same team.

I'll depart with a couplet from a favorite song from my youth

But I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood

That's The Animals

AQ

24 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

Somebody should about Tidal's Q1 2023 revenue.

Why haven't they filed their 2021 reports with Companies House.

And then ask them about the future of the hifi tier with MQA in it.

Go for it @Rt66indierock. You've been all over the financial side for years... Some nice, succinct questions should hopefully get him talking. Then again, he might not have permission to say much on behalf of Tidal.

@firedog, for the record, both Andrew and myself are doctors. I don't think either of us have any concerns about our careers. Looks like we just followed different muses, priorities, and philosophies when it came to the audiophile hobby and writings. 😉

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

4 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

There you go Arch, ruining another mQa narrative that you were a competitor in the industry 🤣

LOL.

Come to think of it, even in regards to medicine, I gather much of his career has been with the mixed American private-public health care system whereas I work in public "universal" health care here in Canada (the other day, Supreme Court didn't even want to hear of privatization).

Maybe that's where I went wrong... 😬

Anyhoo... Back to audio and MQA.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

On 4/9/2023 at 5:32 PM, botrytis said:

Too many audiophiles are into equipment only, nothing wrong with that at all, but I use mine to listen to music. Music is important to me.

I tend to go in cycles. Since I started on movies and surround sound I have gone through six different surround sound and AV pre-amps.

When I think it is time to upgrade I will immerse myself totally in studying the matter to find the best choice for myself. Once that is done and I have set it up to my satisfaction, it will go for years without change. I simply play movies and music for enjoyment.

I pretty much do the same with computers. Once  I have built a new everyday computer and a new workstation they simply become work tools for me.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

1 hour ago, Archimago said:

Come to think of it, even in regards to medicine, I gather much of his career has been with the mixed American private-public health care system whereas I work in public "universal" health care here in Canada (the other day, Supreme Court didn't even want to hear of privatization).

I did spend nearly 30 years in private practice. For the past 7, however, I've worked for a Federally-Qualified Health Center—a group of 50 or so providers that sees people regardless of their ability to pay. No so different than the Canadian system that Archimago's working in except that I see pretty much exclusively poor people. So our  models for health care delivery are actually very much aligned. Our views on sound reproduction might be closer than you'd think....

13 minutes ago, ARQuint said:

I did spend nearly 30 years in private practice. For the past 7, however, I've worked for a Federally-Qualified Health Center—a group of 50 or so providers that sees people regardless of their ability to pay. No so different than the Canadian system that Archimago's working in except that I see pretty much exclusively poor people. So our  models for health care delivery are actually very much aligned. Our views on sound reproduction might be closer than you'd think....

Sounds good Andrew. Glad to see we are aligned in many ways. ;-)

1 hour ago, Jud said:

The lifeblood of the magazines is being able to obtain equipment to review. I don't think it's any more complicated than not wanting to stop receiving hardware from manufacturers who licensed MQA for their products.

But even if a magazine were to be at best lukewarm about MQA, I hope that companies still see nothing wrong with sending in MQA-capable gear. Feature sets of devices like DACs these days have become so large that I think most audiophiles know what they need and what is superfluous. I suspect for many of us, DSD is rarely needed, and 768kHz sample rate excessive. A reviewer could just treat MQA like that.

To be fair, I have seen magazines like TAS do this - for example the Roksan Attessa recently has MQA ability; this was mentioned among the features for readers, no contentious claims made, no hype.

3 hours ago, Jud said:

The lifeblood of the magazines is being able to obtain equipment to review. I don't think it's any more complicated than not wanting to stop receiving hardware from manufacturers who licensed MQA for their products.

There is a little bit of this with respect to MQA, more of it with respect to product access in general, but I don't see this as a driving force in the MQA discussion. Overall, I've easily received more communications from manufcturers because of my honesty about MQA, than I would've if I'd jumped on the bandwagon with both feet and held the line. Honesty is respected by good manufacturers and good people. As long as reviews are fair, most manufacturers can handle it and will get over negativity. They may disagree with assessments and degrees of fairness though. Like all business, it isn't back and white and there are many other factors at play for everyone involved.

If I could purchase every piece of gear reviewed on AS and we could survive on community member subscriptions, I'd do it in a hearbeat though. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

13 minutes ago, Currawong said:

The result is, invariably, if you don't heap praise when you review one of his star products, you get an army posting abuse in the comments. This is a perfect example of scientism, not science. 

+1

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

5 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

looks like one company didn’t get the memo. 

How many people have a "collection" of MQA CDs? Can't be many at all: The number of Tidal Masters subscribers is pretty small, so how many have MQA in disc form? What a waste of company resources to target this group. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

6 hours ago, firedog said:

How many people have a "collection" of MQA CDs? Can't be many at all: The number of Tidal Masters subscribers is pretty small, so how many have MQA in disc form? What a waste of company resources to target this group. 

A quick search of CDJapan where many of these kinds of CDs have been released, reveals 776 MQA-CD titles here in April 2023. Back in May 2021, BS reported about 600 titles. No big growth in that segment. Most of these look like domestic small-scale jazz/classical releases to the Asian market from Universal.

Did the Japanese/Asian consumers actually drink the Kool Aid and desired MQA-CD's?

19 minutes ago, Archimago said:

The nice thing about headphones is that there are no room effects so the measurements can be seen as more directly relatable to sound quality.

But, measuring headphones is a soup sandwhich right now. Most of the guys doing it can't agree on the right procedure or equipment :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png