IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

2 hours ago, John Dyson said:

We are all diminished when someone publicly spouts technical nonsense.

Ain't that the truth!

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Question - is MQS, as used by Blue Note in their 75th Anniv release of Wayne Shorter albums, the same as MQA? Or …?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

On 3/3/2023 at 1:07 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I care because people will see their comments deleted or hidden, screenshots them, post them on pro MQA groups, and discredit the work that has been done here. People may get the idea that I’m hiding the “real” benefits of MQA, when I’m not hiding anything. 

Do the pro-MQA people give Audiophile Style credit for this?

Do the pro-MQA people moderate their tone because you're welcoming to them and happy to engage in rational debate?

Do the pro-MQA people promise to not pull the football away again and then. . . pull the football away again?

Have the pro-MQA people stopped incentivizing trolls and anonymous posting by the usual suspects and their fellow travelers?

Have the pro-MQA people showed ANYTHING in the 1022 pages of this thread that indicate they have ANY plans to "grow up"? Well, why should they when they are getting attention, oxygen, which is what they need to survive another day.

6 hours ago, Racerxnet said:

The MQA gang feel as though they are the truth ministry. Much like the leaders prior to Elons take over of twitter. You can read the internal comms between the politicians , gov, and Yoel. Eventually the cover gets pulled back completely and the whole shebang collapses. They are now at the edge of failure. Glad to see them go. People are tired of the propaganda. 

They are playing victim while all the while actually being the bully, and then whine that people are mean to them. 

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

On 3/7/2023 at 4:08 PM, loop7 said:

This question had to have been asked and answered but I'm curious if the number of MQA capable DACs has increased or decreased since MQA was introduced?

Has there been an arc?

I haven't heard of any manufacturers removing it. By the nature of there being new models introduced, almost every new DAP and DAC I've seen come out of China has been MQA capable, so they have been steadily increasing. 

There is now another Topping model besides the D90 that is available with and without MQA.

The new DX5 Lite lacks MQA and retails for $349, while the original DX5 has MQA decoding and is $449. 

Topping therefore recognizes that many people do not want MQA/won't pay $100 extra for it. I think this also clearly illustrates that Topping's design engineers do not regard MQA as some sort of superior must have technology, if they did it would be adopted on most/all of their model lineup by now. 

Rather, MQA is likely a feature tick box pushed for by Topping's marketing, or business development groups, and not their technical design staff.

Still annoying that in this newer model, unlike with the D90LE/SE designation, they've chosen this "Lite" moniker which to me has a negative connotation, to suggest to a buying customer that this version is missing something or not the full monty version.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

On 3/9/2023 at 3:18 PM, bambadoo said:

I have hears (from pretty reliable sources) that Topping do not like MQA at all but implement it because customers demand it. 

Thats why we are given a choice

That's the case with a number of Asian manufacturers.  I do wonder if it isn't just a small number of noisy people asking for it, and really if they didn't it, they wouldn't really lose any significant number of sales. 

1 hour ago, Currawong said:

I do wonder if it isn't just a small number of noisy people asking for it

I've wondered that too, and when that is coupled with the perceived demand driven by ongoing glowing trade press reviews, it results in some manufacturers having an undue level of FOMO.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

Also, how much of that 100 USD goes to MQA.

I still have a iFi nano, that I use when traveling for work, and have never updated with the newer  system because it had mqa decode, built-in.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

Just noticed an mqa "master" album disappeared from tidal. Renaissance by Marcus Miller (Concord Jazz label,  May 2012) was previously available as a 16/44.1 mqa master, but is now only available as 16/44.1 flac.

Don't know if mqa was the only version before or if the flac verson was also there or has now replaced it. 

He's still got others on tidal in mqa, one from Warner/Rhino (mqa only), another from Universal/Decca (both flac and mqa). Didn’t go through his entire catalog.

Anyway, has anyone else noticed disappearing mqa albums on tidal? Could this be an encouraging trend?