IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

12 minutes ago, Archimago said:

Even if one spent $$$$$ on test equipment, I don't think results will ever translate to universal approval nor (more importantly) the sound recommendations directly applicable to everyone aiming to enjoy music. That's why IMO, work by @JoshM recently using his EARS and SBAF curve is good enough to give us a sense of relative sound signatures (and why I also have my EARS for testing and not particularly keen to spend money to upgrade). The rest is up to us to try listening for ourselves ;-).

Totally agree.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

20 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I've been thinking about this one. Perhaps it has something to do with who exposed the falsehoods. How can one hammer against online forums and forum members, then credit them for anything, especially something that could've been seen long ago? That's a rhetorical question obviously.

My basic answer to this query....

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

18 hours ago, Archimago said:

Go for it @Rt66indierock. You've been all over the financial side for years... Some nice, succinct questions should hopefully get him talking. Then again, he might not have permission to say much on behalf of Tidal.

@firedog, for the record, both Andrew and myself are doctors. I don't think either of us have any concerns about our careers. Looks like we just followed different muses, priorities, and philosophies when it came to the audiophile hobby and writings. 😉

Quite interesting as the speaker designer/owner, for the brand Buggtussel, was an ENT. A very nice gent to boot. I had an audio event, at my house in MI, where he came in brought 3 sets of speakers with him, 2 were prototypes of a more inexpensive model line. The main speakers were 1/2 TL designs, and they were named for parts of the inner ear too. Below - the Buggtussel Amygdala 😁

Buggtussel Amygdala Loudspeakers; Exquisite Audiophile Speakers for the  Price of Cables! For Sale - US Audio Mart

I, myself have a Ph.D. in fungal biochemistry. Cheers!  

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

Can we really trust TIDAL to use a 'true' hi-res source and not just simply resample their current MQA source files for the new hi-res FLAC streams (especially as they'll likely be keeping their MQA streams going, even if it's just for an interim period)? They have a track record for doing just that on the 16bit/44.1kHz HiFi tier for their so called 'lossless' CD-res streams.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

37 minutes ago, GoldenOne said:

I'm very glad that Tidal will be adding native hires lossless.
Qobuz might be in a bit of trouble though if that ends up working well.

BUT, my main concern is that currently a lot of 44.1khz tracks on Tidal are only available in MQA. You cannot stream lossless regardless of subscription tier or settings 

https://goldensound.audio/2021/11/29/tidal-hifi-is-not-lossless/

Hopefully this update also means that the lossless versions of these tracks will actually be restored. Not much good having native hires lossless if most of your library still isn't available losslessly

Any idea how many % of the 16/44.1's might be "infected" by MQA @GoldenOne? Hopefully not too large a number and maybe in time gets diluted out as some might get replaced with remasters and such. At least hopefully the HiFi+ tier's hi-res library should be unmolested. I'm sure folks will be keeping an eye on that!

Regardless, this is good news and another nail in the MQA coffin. Will be interesting to see if there are any buyers for their "technology" now that even the major user is bowing out.

Having said this, I want to see it actually happen before I sign up for Tidal (again). ;-)

On a side note, for us Canadian Roon users, this is great news that Qobuz is supposedly coming out on April 19th, and with Tidal "soon" going non-MQA/lossless, might finally have options.

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

4 minutes ago, GoldenOne said:

That's not a great sign

Maybe they need to get many user requests to classify it as a 'community wish'. They may need enough strong argumentation to make a  decision.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
4 minutes ago, Archimago said:

Any idea how many % of the 16/44.1's might be "infected" by MQA @GoldenOne? Hopefully not too large a number and maybe in time gets diluted out as some might get replaced with remasters and such. At least hopefully the HiFi+ tier's hi-res library should be unmolested. I'm sure folks will be keeping an eye on that!

Regardless, this is good news and another nail in the MQA coffin. Will be interesting to see if there are any buyers for their "technology" now that even the major user is bowing out.

Having said this, I want to see it actually happen before I sign up for Tidal (again). ;-)

On a side note, for us Canadian Roon users, this is great news that Qobuz is supposedly coming out on April 19th, and with Tidal "soon" going non-MQA/lossless, might finally have options.

I'm not sure what percentage of the library is MQA now. Though you can easily tell as the track will have the 'MASTER' badge next to it in the browser area.

Every MASTER track I've tested streamed the MQA file just without full signaling, even on hifi tier or with the 'master' quality setting not enabled. I've not retested in a few months though, but will again once Tidal starts to roll out the hires content to see if this issue has been addressed.

https://youtube.com/goldensound

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

8 minutes ago, GoldenOne said:

I'm not sure what percentage of the library is MQA now. Though you can easily tell as the track will have the 'MASTER' badge next to it in the browser area.

Every MASTER track I've tested streamed the MQA file just without full signaling, even on hifi tier or with the 'master' quality setting not enabled. I've not retested in a few months though, but will again once Tidal starts to roll out the hires content to see if this issue has been addressed.

Yuck. That's not good.

I wonder how this worked with Tidal. They must have the usual licensing arrangements with the music labels. So would this licensing agreement then allow them access to the same lossless source as Apple or Amazon or Qobuz? Did MQA act as some kind of "middleman" for the encoding and storage process? If so, are the original unencoded files with whomever did the MQA encoding, and can Tidal then demand that original pre-encoded data to copy over the "infected" files?

Anyhow, I hope Tidal sorts this wasteful (time & money) silliness out and clean up their mess without too much pain and suffering for themselves or the subscribers.

Would be interesting if there are any Tidal "insiders" who know the system help explain how this all worked!

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.