IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

A while ago I made a couple of Schroeder BNC cables for Dave-HMS using Neotech solid core silver double shielded when on sale at Parts Connexion.  They were a bit of a pig to build; required grinding the conductor and insulation to a point to marry the two cables at the connector.

Martin.

DSCF3596.JPG

9 hours ago, lwr said:

I placed an order May 8 and haven’t heard anything from them ever since.  I have emailed requests for tracking information but have not gotten any reply whatsoever.  I have made many purchases from them and recommend them to friends, and everything has always gone smoothy before, including special orders for combinations of connectors and cables not shown on their website.

Last I heard from Ghent was May 15 - this was his message:

Thanks your new order.
Now I"m out of Shanghai, and will back for your order in couple of days later.

15 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

Hi, this does seem the easiest solution. Where do you get them from?

Hi- AudioQuest used to make some- if you are after build quality. You could try Amazon, eBay or boutique sellers (Music Direct etc depending where you are)

https://www.musicdirect.com/connector-upgrades/audioquest-bnc-to-rca-adapter-ea

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-BNC-Male-Female-Adaptor/dp/B006VK8IEI/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=rca+to+bnc+adapter&qid=1591776843&sr=8-7

https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-adapter-male-female-assembly/dp/B0009MFRW0

In my case IIRC, the  BNC/RCA came with the DAC, the 2 RCA F to RCA M most likely from kiosks at the local annual audio show.

ATB

b.

On 6/7/2020 at 10:07 AM, auricgoldfinger said:

Photos of the modified S100

20200607_102357.MEDIUM.thumb.jpeg.a770308c014d9d4650259d6da7995606.jpeg

Hi Brian:

On thing that occurred to me in looking at Pink Faun's installation of the clock board is that they positioned their card right above the Melco's large DC-DC switching regulator and inductor, both of which get quite hot and both of which will likely have some EMI radiation. Not completely ideal, though I can see that they did not have many options for location. 

427482867_MelcoDC-DCsection.jpg.c4b4eff1a1aacc0bfebf9bdff274dcfc.jpg

Of course it would be tough to bypass that noisy DC-DC buck converter as you would then need something like a 7 amp 3.3V supply, plus several other high current supplies at even lower voltages.  Now if only Melco would follow those DC-DC converters with a bunch of nice LT3045s for everything. But who would think of doing that? x-D

12 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Of course it would be tough to bypass that noisy DC-DC buck converter as you would then need something like a 7 amp 3.3V supply, plus several other high current supplies at even lower voltages.  Now if only Melco would follow those DC-DC converters with a bunch of nice LT3045s for everything. But who would think of doing that? x-D

@Nenon can probably find a way when he modifies his Buffalo switch. @RickyV, too. 😉

30 minutes ago, RickyV said:

I didn’t know why it did that but maybe the 1v regulator was overloaded because it could not deliver the current and that dropped the input voltage. Maybe I should revisit this with a bigger 1v lt3045 regulator. 👍

With that big, power hungry 16-port Broadcom switch chip you are going to need a lot more than just an LT3045 or two!  Plus you want that power to be just a few centimeters from the load.  Look at an EtherREGEN board. On side 'A' alone we have eight LT3045s. For two small, low-power Ethernet processors.  And we run them all close to their limits and provide them each with input voltage just 0.8V above output voltage to get away with that.

I was not kidding when I said you could easily need several a 5~7 amp supplies. I'd be kidding if I suggested you attempt it. :o

4 minutes ago, Bricki said:

I'm interested to know if you still use the JSSG360 shielding on these DC cables?

Yes, I still do JSSG360 shielding on the DC cables. There is an audible difference with and without it. I prefer my computer and network DC cables with the shielding. But I don't do it on my ethernet and USB cables currently. 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

10 minutes ago, Nenon said:

Yes, I still do JSSG360 shielding on the DC cables. There is an audible difference with and without it. I prefer my computer and network DC cables with the shielding. But I don't do it on my ethernet and USB cables currently. 

Interesting 😁

The most recent cable I was testing this with was a DC cable between an uptone LPS1 and a ubiquity edgerouter X (my only router and DHCP server). I found a much more natural tone without JSSG 360. More ease and a more rounded analogue feel to vocals - less digital edge.

It's perhaps system dependent. I had previously thought it would be better whenever I put it. It definitely changes the sound wherever I put it... At one stage I had 8 layers of 4 x JSSG 360 on my USB cable.... Now I've gone full circle back to nothing 🤣

8 hours ago, Superdad said:

I was not kidding when I said you could easily need several a 5~7 amp supplies. I'd be kidding if I suggested you attempt it. :o

5-7A!!!  Are you serios?? 

i think problem not with the current limit but with the way of external regulator connection, if onbord regulators not disconnected from the load (reverse current protection can cause the problem). 

@RickyV How did you connect Lt3045 regulators to the BS??

52 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

5-7A!!!  Are you serios?? 

i think problem not with the current limit but with the way of external regulator connection, if onbord regulators not disconnected from the load (reverse current protection can cause the problem). 

@RickyV How did you connect Lt3045 regulators to the BS??

Hi alexey,

i connect your regulators to the BS by first removing the switch mode regulator output coil which is in series in the output line. Then connect your regulator to the correct island of that coil. 

But when I get home I'll first have to look up the power consumption of the Broadcom chip that maybe a little to much and the startup current peak too.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

9 hours ago, Bricki said:

Recently my cables have been performing better sonically without JSSG360 shielding.

A while back, I had mentioned that my star-quad Neotech DC cable sounded distinctly better without JSSG360. At that time, I was not aware of cotton tubing. I now understand that it's best to have some space between signal wires and screen (the experts here can probably explain why) and that is what the cotton tubing can provide. The spacing is a possible reason why some shieldings are more successful than others.

For those dipping their toes into DIY DC cables, much of the faff is in the JSSG360 part. But you could split the work as I did with my 3rd cable: First build the cable including the cotton tubing and then just live with that for a few weeks (or forever if you're happy with the sound).

Then you can slide the JSSG360 parts over the DC plug, without having to de-solder anything. I wrap PTFE tape as the insulation between the 2 braided shields and this saves having to get a heat shrink gun ("gas" PTFE tape is thicker and easier to handle than plumbers tape).

A good, and cheapest, supplier of Mundorf,  especially in the UK, is hificollective.co.uk. £56+VAT/metre for the 1.5mm, and £30+VAT/metre for the 1.0mm. HFC also do most of the other parts needed, like cotton tubing, silver solder etc, although strangely not so good on DC plugs. My 0.5M length 1.5mm Mundorf cost me slightly less than the same length of ready made PH 6A silver, although it has to be said that Paul's soldering and construction skills are far greater than my feeble efforts - my Mundorf did sound better though 🙂, even the much cheaper 1.0mm version.

HFC also stock Neotech and several others. The Mundorf silver/gold, rather like my recent Sablon 2020 USB cable, just sound so completely "right" that I have no intention of ever looking for anything else. But if I did 😈, then I'd be rather curious about the various Neotech silver, silver/gold and especially the "rectangular" silver wires.

8 hours ago, Nenon said:

I use the 15.5AWG, so it's actually more expensive than that. But my message was related to the Audio Sensibility Signature Silver cable which is more expensive and uses a C$61.57 per foot wire.

From some PMs I received today some people are learning as we chat :). Soldering a wire to a connector is not a handcraft that takes years to master, especially with the help of YouTube. Also, probably everybody knows a person who can solder. 

For the rest, there are always commercial solutions. 

Whatever you do, just don't go knock on @Superdad's door. If you need his soldering help, you might be better off doing this by mail after reading his last post 😂

The interesting thing about cleaning up electrical noise is that you get more focused sound with deeper soundstage, while leaving the noise in your system typically gives you a wider soundstage. There is of course different types of noise with different impact, but overall leaving some noise is not a bad thing and a good way to tweak your system. I call it "the good noise". That works especially well in over dampened rooms where all the the music gets sucked out from room treatments. I am a big fan of diffusers and lively sound. 

So yes - we can say it's system and personal taste dependent. Just like everything else in audio.... 

You are right, Mundorf Wire 15.5awg Silver/Gold is $40 a foot at partsconnexion. $1000 for 25 feet is stunning. 

What is second best?

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio