IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

2 hours ago, lmitche said:

OK, so 20 more feet of Gotham GAC 4/1 ultra pro arrived on Wednesday.  So yesterday I made a new cable  to be used from the 19 volt Sigma 11 power supply into the HDPLEX 400 watt dc to dc PSU feeding the 24 pin connection on my motherboard.  I used two cables in parallel in a 3 + 3 config for ve+ and ve-. This completes Gotham JSSG 360 treatment for both the 6 pin to hdplex and 8 pin power connectors on the motherboard.

As expected things took another leap in SQ this time necessitating another couple dbs of lower volume. It's hard to describe the SQ. There is absolute clarity with extreme details into every source on the sound stage.  This happens regardless of resolution of source,  with everything upsampled to DSD512. I have never heard anything like this before, but then what do I know?

My personal benchmark for barrel to barrel DC cables is now the Audio Sensibility 7N UPOCC silver cable with JSSG 360. 

I would love love to hear if the Gotham can top that, but I’m just hopelessly confused by the Gotham JSSG 360 process. If someone wants to lend me their JSSG 360’d Gotham for a week or so to audition I wouldn’t say no!

How’s that for shameless?!

BTW, I did JSSG 360 my Paul Hynes DC3FSXLR cable, but I’m not convinced that made much of a change. Perhaps this from him explains why:

"The 3 wire weave is to provide a distributed capacitance along the lead which helps to counter inductance and maintain a low impedance at high frequencies.  The third wire is connected to the power supply chassis only to help dump RFI pickup into the chassis ground."
12 minutes ago, austinpop said:

My personal benchmark for barrel to barrel DC cables is now the Audio Sensibility 7N UPOCC silver cable with JSSG 360. 

I would love love to hear if the Gotham can top that, but I’m just hopelessly confused by the Gotham JSSG 360 process. If someone wants to lend me their JSSG 360’d Gotham for a week or so to audition I wouldn’t say no!

How’s that for shameless?!

BTW, I did JSSG 360 my Paul Hynes DC3FSXLR cable, but I’m not convinced that made much of a change. Perhaps this from him explains why:

"The 3 wire weave is to provide a distributed capacitance along the lead which helps to counter inductance and maintain a low impedance at high frequencies.  The third wire is connected to the power supply chassis only to help dump RFI pickup into the chassis ground."

I added one layer of the copper/tin braid to my Hynes cable.  Hard to tell if it made a difference.  I still need to get some shrink wrap and finish the 360 job.  What diameter wrap did you use?

I did it the same day as I got my new board from Paul, replacing the faulty 12v.  Installed the new board right away.  So glad I can use it as a power source again.  A noticeable difference between it and the sPS-500.

2 hours ago, mozes said:

Has anyone tried JSSG 360 on analogue interconnects or speaker cables? 

I put a JSSG 360 on my interconnect between dac and amp and got a very nice improvement. More colour to the music and a slightly blacker background 

13 hours ago, mikicasellas said:

No i have a special adapter which Louis made for me 3 years ago, look:

In this case it has the first generation of firewall attached (don't get worry about that), important thing is to make the adaptor, then you can add the NEW firewall 64X (wood one) as you see in the picture...

IMG-1106.thumb.JPG.f639c71397b169d4df1513b25a8764a3.JPG

IMG-1105.thumb.JPG.1ed88c37d5acc760fd46b95ee8570fce.JPG

So you are still using the inbuilt SMPS in the Mac mini.

It would be fantastic value if it is as good a mod as the MMK kit from Uptone with a good quality LPS

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

12 hours ago, Blake said:

I will lend you my Ghent JSSG 360 Gotham. Check your pm.

I await Austinpop's test (versus 7N Silver) with interest.

I'm currently choosing between Neotech 7N OCC copper and the Audio Sensibility 7N silver for my DIY JSSG 360 DC cable for my PH SR7,  to compare against my existing PH 6XL silver cables.

I'm sure the Audio Sensibility would be better, but the Neotech is much cheaper and easier to get in the UK (e.g. no customs).

Does anyone have an opinion if it's worth the cost and bulk to go star quad, rather than twisted pair, in this combination?

I imagine it would be much easier to construct star quad if the cables came in at least 2 colours, preferably 4.

10 hours ago, GryphonGuy said:

For what it's worth, I have received the Ghent Audio's Gotham GAC-4/1 11301 UltraPro Star Quad DC(JSSG360) a few days ago.

To say that this short and fat cable for the small-change price (relatively speaking) of $78USD is worth the trouble is an understatement.

Which cable length did you order for your new Gotham GAC-4/1 cable?

11 hours ago, GryphonGuy said:

For what it's worth, I have received the Ghent Audio's Gotham GAC-4/1 11301 UltraPro Star Quad DC(JSSG360) a few days ago.

To say that this short and fat cable for the small-change price (relatively speaking) of $78USD is worth the trouble is an understatement.

I run the Uptone Audio Ultracap LPS-1.2 powering the Sonore UltraRendu into Chord DAVE DAC. I was using the Uptone's Belkin star-quad DC cable before the Gotham. Power to the system is via Shunyata Denali and their Sigma power cables.

The SQ improvements are by no means subtle. I would categorise the SQ improvements as greater clarity and larger dimensions of the soundstage with the most striking improvements in the bass notes. Drum transients seem to break out of the speaker as though it is in the room rather than the stereo. Upper registers of notes also benefit and the soundstage positions of instruments is both rock solid and very precise. DAVE's accuracy of timbre still remains but I seem to be able to detect emotion in voices much better now. How big a sigh or how dry the singer's mouth is etc. I am sure this my imagination working but none-the-less my enjoyment has been increased immensely and that almost cliched term of "I have a new sounding music collection" means relistening my familiar collection now gives a much better 3-D holographic experience.

Regards

GG

GG, many thanks for this great description of the impact of JSSG 360.

With my last addition I noticed that bass drums are percieved to be much louder as the lower bass energy is coming from one place in space, in a "all the wood is behind one arrow" kinda way. It's very natural, and a huge improvement.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

On 7/26/2018 at 1:45 AM, Bruce Orr said:

Count me as a JSSG 360 fan. Nodded my two Lush cables just today. Really nice and assume it too will burn-in more in the next 48 hours. If not, I’m still happy. Thx for the step-by-step directions, Rajiv!

8726B48E-1D00-44B0-93BD-AC37A458FDD8.jpeg

B91B01A0-80B4-4DDA-81FB-5AE8D6092554.jpeg

May i know the size of Cooper braid that you ordered to fit Lush Cable inside it.

The metal braid for the Lush was 3/8". 

The Braided black/red sleeve was 3/4"  The next-smaller size red/black sleeve was too small and while I was able to get it about half-way down the cable it was not easy. I decided the risk of damaging the Lush by pulling and tugging on the the sleeve braid was too great. I cut it off, and ordered the 3/4'" red/black sleeve.

1 hour ago, Bruce Orr said:

The Braided black/red sleeve was 3/4"  The next-smaller size red/black sleeve was too small and while I was able to get it about half-way down the cable it was not easy. I decided the risk of damaging the Lush by pulling and tugging on the the sleeve braid was too great. I cut it off, and ordered the 3/4'" red/black sleeve.

Bruce, 

Bravo, and congratulations on taking the plunge! Nothing is impossible when you roll up your sleeves. Uh wait... 9_9 Sorry my brain is just wired for puns.

8 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

I await Austinpop's test (versus 7N Silver) with interest.

I'm currently choosing between Neotech 7N OCC copper and the Audio Sensibility 7N silver for my DIY JSSG 360 DC cable for my PH SR7,  to compare against my existing PH 6XL silver cables.

I'm sure the Audio Sensibility would be better, but the Neotech is much cheaper and easier to get in the UK (e.g. no customs).

Does anyone have an opinion if it's worth the cost and bulk to go star quad, rather than twisted pair, in this combination?

I imagine it would be much easier to construct star quad if the cables came in at least 2 colours, preferably 4.

If you can get the same 16 awg, then go for the OCC copper. In fact, I prefer the 14AWG OCC copper to 16AWG OCC silver, but that's me. I like full body vocals and an expansive sound stage which I find that OCC copper excels with these attributes.

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Bruce, 

Bravo, and congratulations on taking the plunge! Nothing is impossible when you roll up your sleeves. Uh wait... 9_9 Sorry my brain is just wired for puns.

Couldn’t have done it without your DIY  handy, dandy instructions! It really is very easy. Was going to do the same thing to my 2 LPS-1.2 interconnecting power cables, but decided to go ahead and order the Gotham JSSG 360 since it’s getting good reviews. Cant’t wait!

4 hours ago, Bruce Orr said:

Most of you now consider installing braid as old hat.  If you are not one, there are tricks to installing braids (plastic or metal) and I would like to suggest one that works for me...

If you position your fingers so those on right hand are at the head of the braid and those on the left are on the trailing portion of the braid similarly to those in this photo...

image.thumb.png.c6fad5ce94f5b4eee6901a7350d46e8b.png

While holding the head in place, push slowly until you have an expanded section or bulge between your fingers.  Then release the right hand while maintaining grip on left and slowly work the bulge to the right until braid is contracted again.  Then repeat until braid is installed.  Think of installing the braid like the way an inchworm moves...    <

>

...moving its head forward and then having its a$$ catch up!

image.png