1 hour ago, austinpop said:

image.png

Listening to the new high-res release here: http://open.qobuz.com/album/dvc2hmdh714yc

This is supposedly a 24/96 release of the 2011 remaster. Provenance aside, this is clearly the best-sounding The Wall I’ve heard. Note the emphasis, I don’t claim anything further. It significantly improves on my previous favorite, the MFSL Gold UDCD.

I listened and I love it.  A lot better.  Yet is it better to stream or to buy??  That is the question.  (w/apologies to Shakespeare)

Curious on all the Pink Floyd new 96K/24 releases (specifically Qobuz), are folks finding them to be the best yet digital versions or not necessarily. I recently bought Dark Side of the Moon but haven't been able to PGGB process and listen quite yet. 

The reason I ask this is that sometimes original CDs are actually better (likely better masters) than even recent HD digital versions of various albums. Hope the Pink Floyd albums are great in HD!

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

We'll have to find out! It's still odd that this entire trove of hi-res releases drops on a Monday without any fanfare. 🙄

So far, I've bought and PGGB'ed Animals (24/192) and The Wall (24/96) and both these are significantly better sounding than the best CD originals I've heard - again, I don't claim to have heard them all.

DSoTM and WYWH will be interesting, as these have been out on highly acclaimed SACDs for some years. Curious if these new 24-bit PCM versions are better. I also don't know about the rest, hoping to learn more from others as they explore.

I listened Animals streamed from Qobuz in 192/24 yesterday, it sounded good to me. I thought I could hear the lyrics more clearly than before. Whether this was a sign of better quality, or whether I was listening more closely than before, I can't say. It seems to me that every single audition always sounds different from the other one. "Better or worse" conditioned by expectation or preconception in our minds.

6 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

I listened Animals streamed from Qobuz in 192/24 yesterday, it sounded good to me. I thought I could hear the lyrics more clearly than before. Whether this was a sign of better quality, or whether I was listening more closely than before, I can't say. It seems to me that every single audition always sounds different from the other one. "Better or worse" conditioned by expectation or preconception in our minds.

Me too, though in Tidal hifi and 16-44.1, I had a feeling this is already remixed version which I guess is scheduled only or June 2022... Great one!

34 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

I listened only to fragments of the finals of the Chopin Competition but sometimes it was quite difficult to decide to skip forward the program. I definitely had this problem eg during the performance of the last of finalists - Bruce (Xiaoyu) Liu from Canada

Who 20 minutes later had been announced the winner. IMO deservedly. 

On 10/20/2021 at 2:04 PM, AnotherSpin said:

One of the best British jazz albums of the 60s, by pianist Stan Tracey's quartet with compositions inspired by a Dylan Thomas play. Does anyone know if the phrase Starless And Bible Black was taken by King Crimson from this album or directly from Dylan Thomas?

1321389062_Screenshot2021-10-20at13_53_11.thumb.png.5234e1b35697710ded2f63be1c8ca549.png

Very impressed with this, thank you, and if you occasionally have a list of best 60s British jazz, please post it here!  ... unfortunately I have no answer to your question🤔

52 minutes ago, skipspence said:

Very impressed with this, thank you, and if you occasionally have a list of best 60s British jazz, please post it here!  ... unfortunately I have no answer to your question🤔

I do not think I might have a comprehensive list... 🙂 You may want to check such artists as Keith Tippett, John Taylor, Mike Westbrook, Kenny Wheeler, Graham Collier, Tony Coe, Alan Skidmore, Evan Parker, John Surman, Tony Oxley, early recordings from John McLaughlin and Dave Holland. Soft Machine, Ian Carr, Nucleus, Henry Cow from fusion artists.