1 hour ago, mansr said:

Screws are cheap. There is really no excuse for sending a device, whether new or used/refurbished, with so badly damaged screws to a customer. Of course, there's been no evidence presented that this actually happened, and even if it did, this is quite the over-reaction.

Your points are correct. I was adding the fact that they are small enough that the loss of a small amount of paint or anodizing might not be apparent except under magnification.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

I can't think of many companies that when presented with a used piece of their equipment for repair (esp one that looks possibly abused) don't just say 'sorry' you took the chance buying used, you lose, pay for the repair or a new unit. 

Yep - Alex knew that’s what he was taking on when he made the warranty transferable, but that’s the way he prefers to do business.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

23 minutes ago, Jud said:

Yep - Alex knew that’s what he was taking on when he made the warranty transferable, but that’s the way he prefers to do business.

Car companies do it all the time. Again if I was Alex and saw that the wrong voltage was applied, and I wanted to be nice about it, I would have sent another unit, letting them know that the failure was due to something other than manufacturer defect, and let them know that there was no warranty and the repair was gratis.

17 minutes ago, plissken said:

Car companies do it all the time. Again if I was Alex and saw that the wrong voltage was applied, and I wanted to be nice about it, I would have sent another unit, letting them know that the failure was due to something other than manufacturer defect, and let them know that there was no warranty and the repair was gratis.

I’ve dealt with both Alex and car companies, and given the choice, I wouldn’t pick the car companies.  😀

13 minutes ago, Jud said:

Oppo repaired my used BDP-83 twice for cost of shipping. Simple drawer repair but nonetheless, and it was a modded to play international model at that. Nikon, on the other hand, won't even repair a used item if it wasn't originally bought in the country. When Leica lenses needed coding for their new digital M bodies, the turnaround time was over eight weeks. I sent in my 28mm, and eight weeks later I got it back - coded as a 24mm! Another four weeks they set it right (still charged of course).

Life and service don't come to you on a silver platter - millennial! ;). Which totally reminds me of a customer I need to make right due to a whole bunch of shipping errors, all on my part  in a dis-organized spot in my life. It happens. In the end I'll make little to no money on the transaction but it still needs to be made right and the buyer has been extremely understanding and patient (only talking a couple hundred bucks, but still). 

The "PSA:" think twice, three or many more times before airing your dirty laundry on social media. Or at least approach it with some measure of moderation and insight to begin with - keep in mind in this day and age of social media, people's livelihoods, let alone world events, can hinge on a tweet or forum post. And company to customer need to be careful as well. Even if you're in the right, potential future clients may just want to avoid any drama altogether. This applies more to personal service (I'm thinking of photographers, designers, chefs, contractors, etc etc) than selling electronics that are great value, cutting edge and fit new and unthought of niches such as Uptone does, but something to think about nonetheless. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

1 hour ago, Priaptor said:

I haven't posted in some time and occasionally drop by to see what absurd threads are getting some attention (and I am rarely disappointed) but this one is up there.  

As an end-user of Uptone, I have to say Alex and crew have been one of the best I have ever dealt with.  If there products aren't to your liking, so be it, but from my perch, they give some of the best bang for the buck and I haven't been disappointed with any of their products and I definitely haven't been disappointed with their service. In a hobby where so many disappoint with service Uptone is definitely NOT one of them.

From my perch, the complaints seem absurd and John's response, while overly detailed, demonstrates his passion for his products as well as his good name. Just my two cents. 

I totally agree with you. I've never seen such a professional and friendlier service as the one provided by Uptone!

And yes I am grateful to Alex for proving the audiophile community with so many quality products at a reasonable price.

Indeed "best bang for the buck".

Thank you Alex :-)  

Jorge

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

4 hours ago, Superdad said:

Okay, I’m done wasting my time with this. We have already lost about $600 with this fellow, not to mention the half dozen hours spent replying to his e-mails and dealing with this silly smear campaign over six forums. :S

WTF?! Over 6 forums - this is an organised smear campaign for sure and shouldn’t be allowed. Why is this guy getting a platform?

Alex has always been courteous and generous in any dealings I’ve had as well as supplying great value products.  

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

6 hours ago, Jud said:

Your points are correct. I was adding the fact that they are small enough that the loss of a small amount of paint or anodizing might not be apparent except under magnification.

It's not just magnified, but a flash always makes something like this look really bad.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Here is more of Alex's "transparency" posted on another board. At least the poster had the consideration to redact and block out personal details from the emails unlike others.

"Sooo, not to get into he said she said here but I had a very similar experience with uptone audio. I on the other hand purchased all new direct from Alex products. This is my experience without bogging down into great detail. 
1- several times my purchase was delayed even though product was paid. This happened on more than one occasion and occurred for two products I purchased. 2- I two had an iso regen fail and it was replaced after much bantering back and forth. So great but here’s an excerpt of correspondence;

Hi ——-
So let’s exchange the circuit board in your ISO REGEN for a new one (SQ is better, but we are not publicly discussing that since it is an in-line change; and one can tell version only by looking at the board).
Please mail just the IS REGEN (no PS or cables; and no special box—packing material/retail box is not returned) back to us at:
UpTone Audio LLC4647 Indian Peak RoadMariposa, California 95338USA
We will install a brand new board (so it will need some “break-in”) and ship back to you right away. Please include a note in the box.
Thanks and have a great weekend,—-——

I took issue with this statement “the sound quality is better but we are not publicly discussing it” this is where I started to get turned off from uptone products as it was disclosed to me that the early chips had issues and the third version was finally up to snuff. I’m not a fan of being a test bed for equipment from a company and it seams this is what was happening. 
2: I also had an lps1.2 fail and again it was replaced and much like the op the replacement came back dinged up and looking used (in Alex’s defence he sent new end plates) again some correspondence;

Hi ——-
Thanks for your thoughtful feedback. Yes, we can certainly improve in some areas.  
The LPS-1.2 issue was tough because:a) It took us a while to figure out why it was happening;b) It only occurred on about 5% of the units in the field, so we did not feel the need to alarm people (audiophiles are a skidish bunch and the LPS-1.2 is really our “cash cow”).
Even a failing LPS-1.2 could never harm an external device. Simply not possible with the safety design measures that are part of the product. So the possibility you raise was never a possibility—another reason we did not feel compelled to issue a formal alert. Such was considered carefully.
I’ll pick out and mail a nice pair of end panels for you. I assume that you have a Torx T10 size driver bit handy to remove the screws?
All the best,
———

again there was a issue with the product and failure rate. At the end of the day I sold all my uptone gear including a js2 and moved on. Alex seams like a really nice guy but parts of his business model seam a bit off. Just putting it out there that the op may seam vengeful but there is some merit in his dealings.

I buy a lot of stuff online. In assessing whether I'll take the risk, I look at vendor ratings/comments (and the number thereof), product ratings/comments (and the number thereof) and price (what could I lose?). Nearly no vendors who enjoy many evaluations get 100% top ratings. For me, a large quantity with a very high average means a lot.

Everybody needs to develop their own feel for their own risk/benefit.

I would like to thank @mikey8811 and @Superdad for their contributions to this and the other similar threads elsewhere.

I have not been in the market for Uptone products, but should I be in the future, using MY risk/benefit calculation, I consider this thread a strong endorsement and wouldn't hesitate to buy from Uptone. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Priaptor said:

Would you be happier if Alex did what some others in the business do, when they can no longer get the "original" parts for their design and announce a "version" change, with a new higher price rendering your product less valuable?  Yes there are many manufacturers I know of, rather not name them, when faced with "new parts" because the old ones are no longer available immediately announce a version upgrade, making the almost identical product obsolete and charging more for the new one. 

This is exactly what came to my mind. It happens all the time.

Running changes also happen when a company finds a way to improve the product and makes the business decision to keep it quiet. Us audiophiles are a finicky bunch that can raise hell if we find out about these changes. Imagine how any running changes and parts swaps happen in automobiles and other industries. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

59 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This is exactly what came to my mind. It happens all the time.

Running changes also happen when a company finds a way to improve the product and makes the business decision to keep it quiet. Us audiophiles are a finicky bunch that can raise hell if we find out about these changes. Imagine how any running changes and parts swaps happen in automobiles and other industries. 

Many manufacturers maintain a product line naming convention for model # while continually revisioning the product. They simply name v1,v2,v3 etc..

As time goes on older product becomes less valuable used. Go figure.

In audiophiledom running changes should be readily apparent, hearing wise that is 😉 Shouldn't need a revision # to reliably tell when a product PCB layout, part change, etc... happens.