IGNORED

How much difference does it make?

I have learned a lot of great information from the CA/AS community since joining. I went completely network based frontend and started to use better cable and power supplies. After playing with a lot of streamers and linear power supplies, I came to the conclusion that, to my ears, software, power supply, connection interface (network, USB, optical) and cables make up about 10% difference in overall sound quality. Headphone/speaker probably make up 30%-40%, amp 20%-30%, DAC 15%-30%. I have absolutely no problem spending a lot to get the most out of that 10%, but perhaps the best value is spend on the down stream components that could make a bigger difference in the overall sound quality. 

Do others feel that their frontend makes significantly more than 10% difference to their overall listening experience. If so, how much. I'm talking about sound quality alone, not the software/user interface. 

Alienware R7 with Paul Pang V2 USB PCIE -> iFi Pro iDSD -> McIntosh MHA100 -> Hifiman Susvara. Keeping it simple!

Your percentages are too general. On cables for example there is no way they are 10% of the sound past a minimum spec standard - particularly digital cables as you cite.

But yes transducers make more difference than anything else...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

50 minutes ago, STC said:

Room acoustics is everything. It can make lousy system to sound great. Just like when you sing a bathroom where the acoustic changes how you sound and more preferable. 

This  is very funny. I agree with that.

50 minutes ago, STC said:

Just like when you sing a bathroom where the acoustic changes how you sound and more preferable. 

Also funny. I agree again.

51 minutes ago, STC said:

The acoustics in the bathroom are basically perfect to start a little private concert.

Apart from that I just said to avoid swimming pools (and I did not read your post !).

So try to believe in the other way around now (I suppose nothing new for you because I said it before):

The better the system, the less room treatment is necessary. It even is so that it removes any audible standing waves (low frequency as we know them, and high frequency as most do not know it - buzzing).

My room consists of over 50% glass in the walls. The remainder is hard material. Only the floor carpet (few mm of height) is soft.

So the "funny" thing is that you just said the same thing. But most 99% probably you won't agree with my stances ...

haha

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

19 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

My room consists of over 50% glass in the walls. The remainder is hard material. Only the floor carpet (few mm of height) is soft.

Peter, you are pulling my leg! right? I thought you listen with 🎧. Anyway, I am not going to argue with you or anyone anymore after having a revelation with my son’s new car audio. :)  

Me just stating what’s observable and repeatable anywhere.  :)

12 hours ago, PeterSt said:

But please be informed that we produce 100% of the whole audio chain (apart from power cords), so I should be able to know. 

Wait, do you grow those mushrooms?! Can I get some?

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

49 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

OP--

IMO there is really no way to put percentages on *sound quality*. Sound differences are another matter--that's mostly about room and speakers.

Quality however starts from the source, wherever that is for you. Once the quality is lost then nothing downstream can get it back.

For instance I've just started cleaning my LPs (one source) with an ultrasonic cleaner and the improvement in *sound quality* is very significant; and not just from the reduction in audible pops and clicks.

Another example--I sent my active speakers to the manufacturer to be upgraded to the current model, which retails about $30,000. While they were being done I listened through a very old amp and some bookshelf speakers (carefully chosen at the time but probably about $2000 total if they were made today) and the music was still very listenable even though the overall sound was very different. Same sources.

Yes the source is key, why is this so hard for some to understand, maybe they never heard a high-end source? 

4 minutes ago, Rexp said:

Yes the source is key, why is this so hard for some to understand

Because for a close to life time we were spoon fed with the speakers being the most important factor ?

Maybe back in the days they were (say that I am from back in the days 😀) but back in those days the source just could-not matter as much as today. I am not talking about the wax cylinder era (that would make me quite dead) but from the LP-only era, yes. But look how easily we drift apart ... half of people swears that LP is the by far very best compared to digital. Well, they should dedicate the speaker the most important in the chain. I think.

If that makes sense ...

XXHighEnd (developer)

4 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Because for a close to life time we were spoon fed with the speakers being the most important factor ?

Maybe back in the days they were (say that I am from back in the days 😀) but back in those days the source just could-not matter as much as today. I am not talking about the wax cylinder era (that would make me quite dead) but from the LP-only era, yes. But look how easily we drift apart ... half of people swears that LP is the by far very best compared to digital. Well, they should dedicate the speaker the most important in the chain. I think.

If that makes sense ...

Actually back in the day when Linn were at the forefront of high-end, they and other UK Manufacturers always advocated spending the majority of budget on the source. With digital isn't it the same? 

6 minutes ago, Rexp said:

Actually back in the day when Linn were at the forefront of high-end

This could be no coincidence for a TT manufacturer, right ? haha

But still it would be true, yes. However, the difference to be made there is "bland". So whether you have the groove etc. noise at -30dB or -35dB (just making up some figures which will be relatively close) - that matters 5dB. Today, with digital, we talk well over -100dB. Well, maybe. Maybe it is -80dB only (look at poweramp specs). But there's the thing - this is a difference of 20dB already. This, while a few days ago I showed better than 130dB (SNR). Oops. And this has to be in the source as well because that was about the complete chain.

So for SNR only ... -35dB (at best ?) vs -130dB.

or what the subject was about to some extent:

-25dB to -35dB vs -80dB to -130dB (think source only). Thus 5dB of diifference vs 50dB of difference in the source(s).

Btw, a speaker doesn't even make noise. It can show a lot of THD though. A lot (like well over 1% in the lower regions or 5-10% at best when you thought to add a sub woofer).

Wait ... so a speaker can matter just the same ?

or wait more ... the source thus does not matter because the speaker is so poor at it (THD) ?

Maybe this is why I counted out the speaker. It is unfair. Sure, mine does better than 0.3% THD at 19Hz +/- 0.5dB or even 0.3% at 17Hz +/- 3dB (89dBSPL). Brag brag brag brag. But this is far from normal and should be counted out. Of exceptional importance, but still not to be counted. Not realistic. Just as the 118dB sensitivity is not realistic (though still real over here).

So what sort of remains is that SNR of 30dB of back in the days (I forget the cassette tape decks to stay positive) which won't have improved once it reaches the speaker. That speaker, in my view, in that context has prevalence for many quality aspects. I mean, the difference between 10% THD and 0.3% THD would still be there, also in the old days. A tweeter would do 16KHz or 30KHz (today only full bandwidth drivers may have a problem there because they are not-so-full bandwidth at all). Today ? no, that too existed back then.

I am drifting off; When the source is lousy, the end of the chain receives only lousy and probably even more lousy. Never better. Today's sources vary wildly and are of way better specs than the speakers anyway.

Now choose. Technically I am not really able to (as in : how should a THD+N of 0.00090 sound better than a THD+N of 0.04 (standard (NOS) unfiltered Redbook), while the speaker is at 0.3% at the very best for LF (and well over 1% for almost everybody) ?

It's just a different "THD" I'd say (digitally/technically wrong, vs mechanically impeded <-- more natural ?).

XXHighEnd (developer)

18 hours ago, PeterSt said:

It could be not so common to see a head to tail SNR of 135dB (thus from PC-software running on a PC to output of power amp). Some will say that this is totally unnecessary. Perhaps that is correct.

I have also come to accept, from (my comparatively limited) listening experience and no designing/building experience, that system S/N or (and/or?) noise-floor and audible S/N or (and/or?) noise-floor are not related as one would expect, so what's generally accepted to be limits of audibility for noise and for distortion(s) shouldn't be referred to in the context of equipment measured performance.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

1 hour ago, Rexp said:

they and other UK Manufacturers always advocated spending the majority of budget on the source

Linn discovered that by making better TT, it improved the sound. He discovered it by placing his TT in another room which improved the sound. His reasoning was and correctly too for mechanical device like a TT that the sound from the loudspeakers causes degradation in the playback. 

He continued to emphasis on good source to sell his TT and his initial reasoning was misunderstood or intentionally used to sell a better TT. The source here was the reference to a better vibration immune TT. 

In room, the ratio of sound from the source ( which is now the speaker) is always mixed with room acoustics. Even in nearfield listening, you will have at least 10% of room sound reaching your ears. In normal listening environment it is more than 50 percent and in concert hall it is about 90 percent. The improvement there can be clearly audible with the same source. There are many videos of sound before and after room treatment. 

18 minutes ago, STC said:

Linn discovered that by making better TT, it improved the sound. He discovered it by placing his TT in another room which improved the sound. His reasoning was and correctly too for mechanical device like a TT that the sound from the loudspeakers causes degradation in the playback. 

He continued to emphasis on good source to sell his TT and his initial reasoning was misunderstood or intentionally used to sell a better TT. The source here was the reference to a better vibration immune TT. 

In room, the ratio of sound from the source ( which is now the speaker) is always mixed with room acoustics. Even in nearfield listening, you will have at least 10% of room sound reaching your ears. In normal listening environment it is more than 50 percent and in concert hall it is about 90 percent. The improvement there can be clearly audible with the same source. There are many videos of sound before and after room treatment.

He (Tiefenbrun) tried but could never make good speakers? 😶

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)