IGNORED

Do you have a multimeter?

Do you own a multimeter?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a multimeter?

• Yes, I have a multimeter.
    • No I do not have a multimeter.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/19/19 at 05:00 AM

Pretty simple poll.  Do you have a multimeter?

You can comment on whether you know what to do with it.  But mainly I'd like to know what percentage of Audiophyle Style members have a multimeter.

Thanks for your participation. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

11 minutes ago, esldude said:

Did I need to specify the meter functions.  Surely everyone can understand the context enough to determine that having a multimeter is having a functioning multimeter.  Everyone is so special these days.  

Yes  Not everyone is an expert. There are audiophiles who knew nothing about multimeter, earth ground, neutral, volt, ampere, resistance, impedance...........

Cheer up.

edit. OTOH, I think this is a wrong time. Just realized why you are still awake. I was just kidding. Please accept my apologies. 

31 minutes ago, STC said:

Yes  Not everyone is an expert. There are audiophiles who knew nothing about multimeter, earth ground, neutral, volt, ampere, resistance, impedance...........

Yes. That's why most have the good sense to steer well clear of the General area of the forum where all cables sound the same, and a $200 DAC sounds the same as a $20K DAC and they are able to hear the degradation MQA causes with the $200 DAC AFTER they LOOK at the files .:D

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

3 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Can we have a “do you have a oscilloscope” poll also ? 😂

Feel free to start your own poll.  Why not?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

2 hours ago, ddetaey said:

And one can see if the lights are on.

2 hours ago, STC said:

That doesn’t measure anything. Still counted as a meter?

This supposedly can measure both continuous light and flash (with or without sync cord) at 1 or 3 degree field:

284905-2009164_01.jpg

So would it count as multi-meter then? Now being a totally dumb audiophile, I don't have a clue what any of the above means. But I'm sure my data point will help the real experts come to whatever inevitable conclusion. My humble contribution to audiophile style I suppose...

A couple of uses for mine is to volume match when testing amps or when I want to set the gain for an amp that allows for this feature. For testing different amps, I bought some inexpensive connectors to make an apparatus where I could insert the multimeter between the amp and the transducer.   In this application, there is no need for high accuracy, I only have to make sure I set the volume level to match the voltage for each amp under test.  I will set the voltage with a test tone, and then play music and listen. 

Even a slightest tilt of your head will change the frequency response where what supposedly to sound at exact level may sound louder or softer. 

Level match is is only useful if you do the blind test with headphones. With loudspeakers, it can change with every different position or addition of furniture in your room. It is hard to be consistent in a typical room. 

I have multi-decade Fluke that still works pretty well (as far as I can tell).  I know how to use it for voltages, DC & AC, and use it regularly around the house. But never mastered/understood the concept of "Continuity".  But I am a Chem Engr and understand chemical electrons much more than electrical electrons.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

23 minutes ago, mansr said:

Do you mean the function where the meter beeps when the measured resistance is below a few ohms?

I mean when troubleshooting, either cars or other stuff around the house or equipment at work, and instructions say "check for continuity", I either grabbed someone more knowledgeable or found a way around the requirement.  I probably would have saved myself a lot of time if I had ever taken a basic electric troubleshooting training class.

That said when I was traveling process engineer for automated wet bench supplier (German brand), I outscored an FSE Foreman from a major site at the Repair training class.  One my more prouder achievements.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

3 minutes ago, jcbenten said:

I mean when troubleshooting, either cars or other stuff around the house or equipment at work, and instructions say "check for continuity", I either grabbed someone more knowledgeable or found a way around the requirement.  I probably would have saved myself a lot of time if I had ever taken a basic electric troubleshooting training class.

Continuity in that context means simply a resistance close to zero, usually provided by a metal wire.