IGNORED

Do you have a multimeter?

Do you own a multimeter?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a multimeter?

• Yes, I have a multimeter.
    • No I do not have a multimeter.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/19/19 at 05:00 AM

15 minutes ago, fas42 said:

I always check the resistance of every resistor I pick up to use; because the colour coding bands are borderline clearly one colour versus another - reddish is the worst offender; is this brown, red, or orange?

Yes, I do the same. That is where it is helpful to get packaged packs of the same value most used 1% resistor values (e.g.8 to 10 in a pack) from local retailers . ( such as Jaycar and Altronics in Australia )

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

13 hours ago, Daccord said:

Shouldn't anyone who uses batteries have a multimeter?

Do you REALLY need a Multimeter/DMM to tell you when the batteries in your Remote controls are just about to expire ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

3 minutes ago, Paul R said:

You guys are beginning to resemble (or at least imitate!) these guys...

743816397_ScreenShot2019-05-18at7_27_31PM.thumb.png.74e91df16845978d8023dc6980605608.png

As you have shown above, it takes TWO to Tango ! ¬¬

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

better quality ones have a mirror on the scale to eliminate ghosting when reading the needle

I don't know.  It seems to have been a fad that passed, but a decade or so back all the very cheapest worst meters had that little mirror band to imply quality was higher than it was.    Kind of like hood scoops and spoilers on street cars. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

23 hours ago, Daccord said:

Shouldn't anyone who uses batteries have a multimeter?

I have batteries in my remote controls, when they quit working I just add new batteries. Remote controls either work or not, so no reason to not run the batteries all the way down to dead.

Alex mentioned that it would be handy to check the car's battery so you aren't stranded somewhere when the battery dies. That seems logical to me.

Since I don't have a car and I abhor comparing stuff, I personally see no reason to own a multimeter.

For me, audio equipment is a means to an end to enjoy the music I love. And computers are just one of the ways I enjoy music. Measuring equipment of any kind except for measuring spoons and measuring cups needed for cooking don't interest me at all, sorry.

10 hours ago, sandyk said:

Do you REALLY need a Multimeter/DMM to tell you when the batteries in your Remote controls are just about to expire ?

No.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

On 5/18/2019 at 11:28 AM, PeterSt said:

There is even something funny about the necessity of measuring, which only applies to people in countries like mine and a few more with this kind of mains connector:

image.png.0fd8f42cf8e95e0298a2cfa92766a2ba.pngimage.png.9650812324b32c8090c07cdef3084ec8.png

image.png.c052fbf362447515f88434ce5472e2da.pngimage.png.eba2d5fcd836a0bdcd2e42c96d53eb19.png 

The polarity of the mains (hot vs neutral). But mind you, this doesn't really go my means of a multi meter, but merely by means of a mains polarity checker with a looking device similar to this: 

image.png.ace71d1231313ed725b45a69cdff40d9.png

This is THE foremost SQ improvement tool, but in must countries it isn't even applicable because the polarity can't be changed in the first place. Thus e.g. with these this is not possible (UK and USA respectively):

image.png.957202a144d153aad2c644dfad0bdd44.pngimage.png.4d865bf470d467e6caa5ea301a985e91.png 

This is related to the mentioned measuring of the ground potential between two devices, but with the notice that you can't really do much about it in countries like UK and USA (and a whole world more) unless you go the path of changing the wires in the outlet or cables. And this, while it is crucial to the sound. Anyway, in the end (and as far as I understands its working) this device measures radiation because of a difference in potential between devices and that in itself caused by a not matching mains polarity.

I don't think these can still be bought but for those which can change the polarity of mains plugs it is the most crucial measuring tool for audio. And those who can't change the polarity miss out and are just stuck (but you won't know about the phenomenon either, haha).

How do I know what’s hot or neutral on the apparatus that gets the 220 VAC ?

Is there a rule here that al manufacturers should follow, and if yes, how to verify?

I expect what you’re talking about is similar to what is written about here:

https://senorc.no/?p=226

(https://translate.google.no/translate?hl=no&sl=no&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fsenorc.no%2F%3Fp%3D226)

43 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

I expect what you’re talking about is similar to what is written about here:

https://senorc.no/?p=226

It is a bit long, but yes, from of this heading I see back what I was talking about, including Mr Ernstsens solutions.

Connection between the devices.

45 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Is there a rule here that al manufacturers should follow, and if yes, how to verify?

No, not that I know of. But this starts with it being nonsensical to apply a rule to something which in the end can't be applied. Thus, a wall socket which allows the 180 degree twist of the plug which goes in, can of course be applied with the neutral always at the left hand side in the socket (or the top when it is twisted 90 degrees), but then what ? then there isn't a single mark on the plug ...

And thus rules are useless in this case.

48 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

How do I know what’s hot or neutral on the apparatus that gets the 220 VAC ?

You don't. And btw, if I would make an apparatus for this environment, I would again not bother myself with how to assemble the mains wires of the power inlet. Maybe if there is one fuse I could think that the hot wire of the mains will go in there, but again I'd say "oh well" because the plug is again put into the wall according to how the wind blows. So now the devices are not even suitable for anything, also not when they go out to the UK or the USA etc. etc. etc. And there's nothing made up of this, because we really (don't) apply this all and the gear really goes out to all countries in the world.

Funny eh ?

The only solution that I know of is measure it with the shown (van Medevoort) device. In literally will buzz louder when there's more radiation. So, twist the plug, re-check and if not for the better, twist back.

Of course when one device is for the better with the plug twisted, a next one in the chain can be for the worse again. This is how Mr Ersntsens proposes a procedure to connect all from the start.

There is a LOT of hoopla to this, because obviously we can also choose to use Protective Earth or not. And, besides connecting a device to PE, there's also the possibility to inter-connect devices through their PE provisioned means (one or all or a few or none connected to PE for real). That is again something else for dimension. And this seriously all matters ...

IIRC in Norway you can twist the plugs as well. So have fun ... swoon.gif.8e6ad9fbc86dd1ebd31114573b28d1ce.gif

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

14 hours ago, esldude said:

I don't know.  It seems to have been a fad that passed, but a decade or so back all the very cheapest worst meters had that little mirror band to imply quality was higher than it was.    Kind of like hood scoops and spoilers on street cars. 

not a fad for scientists who needed the most accurate measurement possible with analog...

I had one (in a pretty wooden box) but I think I left it a some dis-used Univ. I abandoned...

Yes, I originally wrote parallax but changed it to ghost to be more in the swing of the thread direction