IGNORED

Paul Hynes SR7 and SR4 Build Calendar Thread

49 minutes ago, paulhynes said:

Hi Alan,

My post was in response to k27R requesting an update on the custom build service and to auricgoldfinger directing him to e-mail me.

Hi Paul - my bad, assumed it was in response to my admittedly cheeky comment about the Farad.

50 minutes ago, paulhynes said:

. In fact, if I lived in London and Covid was not around, I would happily buy you a beer.

Haha! Careful Mr Hynes. I might live in London but I'm definitely crazy enough to stalk you to the Scottish islands in the name of a free pint and many pesky questions about power supplies 😅

Looking forward to getting an SR4T into my system. Am sure it'll be worth the wait.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

1 hour ago, paulhynes said:

Hello again Johnseye,

It would appear that USPS service is variable from ok to very slow. The Royal Mail small packet service was chosen for shipping back in 2017 just after the launch of the SR4 when customers were complaining about the cost of using services via UPS, DHL and Fedex, as the Royal mail service was a much lower cost. I would advise anyone who does not want to await the Royal Mail/ USPS route to ask Stephen for a faster shipping method. This will cost more of course.

Hello Paul, I agree fully.  The package was lost for some time with the USPS and for the other SR4T I bought the longest time in transit was within the US.  It's good to have multiple options for shipping and in the future I'll pay a bit more for quicker delivery.

I hope you and your family are well and enjoying the summer.

Hi @paulhynes

The website doesn’t say much about the SR5T version. 
It’s somewhat unclear to me if the T version of the SR5 applies to all options. (F/S/DR)

Can you explain a bit better ? 

You may also explain the T version of the SR7. Is the T implementation equal all over the product line ?

4 hours ago, paulhynes said:

You will have to get a permit from South Uists Estates to do any stalking on the island and you will need your passport to enter The Independent State of South Uist. I guess I could put in a good word for you once Covid-19 is under control.

South Uist Estates is owned by the local residents and consists of around half of the Isle of Benbecula, the Isle of South Uist and the Isle of Eriskay (made famous in the film “Whiskey Galore”). With your ancestry I suspect you already know that we are on the outer rim of the known universe.

The Independent State of South Uist, Benbecula and Whiskey Galore 😅

I better get a move on before wee Nicola loses patience with Boris's buffoonery and raises the drawbridge!

More seriously - thanks Paul for the courtesy and very kind offer. Haven't been further north than Pitlochry for a good few years but I'll email you if I am ever headed your direction.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

Hi Paul,

Great to hear that you and your family are well.

Hope you can get back to work soon on the custom builds.

It's wonderful to see you more active in this thread in the interim.

Geoff

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

On 7/12/2020 at 5:02 PM, paulhynes said:

One thing I need to look into is your inclusion of “DR” in your request for clarity of application on all options of the SR range. Historically I applied the term DR to Double Regulated (two regulators in cascade) options in the Custom build schedule and it would appear that it has now been applied to Dual (two) regulated supplies, which could cause some confusion.

Thanks for clarifying Paul 

And DR Double Regulated will only apply to SR7 custom versions, or can it also apply to other custom built options like a SR5T or even SR4T. 

DR Double Regulated can only be with F (fixed) version ?

DR Double Regulated can be applied to more than one rail (output) ?

I think you used MR (multirail) in custom built, but it is also my understanding that a singelrail (SR7T) with DR Double Regulated is absolutely the best option.

Hi R1200CL

Now you are entering a rather grey area, as I am not accepting new custom build orders, although it is possible to take over an existing order in the custom build schedule when owners of these orders decide they are no longer required, either because they have changed their system so radically that the build specification is obsolete or they just do not want to wait any longer in the queue.

It should be noted that the licence issued to PHD Ltd does not currently include DR (double regulated) supplies.

As far as custom build application options are concerned, for those who have requested this, I have redesigned the SR5 and SR7 DR printed circuit board layouts and had some FR4 and Teflon printed circuit boards manufactured that allow all the new upgrade options including Electronic Overload Protection (both electrical and thermal), and the addition of the Turbo Module (again both FR4 and Teflon) to each voltage regulator in the DR configuration, and the soft start module to limit inrush current for use in the SR7 with larger VA rated transformers and multiple transformer options with a collectively large VA rating.

The SR4 is exclusively licenced to PHD Ltd and not included in the custom build schedule so only the options offered by PHD Ltd apply with the SR4.

The Custom build SR5 mains transformer is limited to 160VA due to space considerations within its chassis and the soft start module is not required for this power supply, but the other options listed above can be applied to the custom build SR5 and all the above listed options can be applied to the custom build SR7.

There is an extra thermal overhead with the DR modules due to the serial connection of the two main regulator circuits and for this reason I tend to recommend fixed voltage module versions although there is provision on the boards to fit the 4 way selector switch used in the PHD Ltd SR4 and SR5 designs with the proviso that people sensibly reduce the load current drawn from the output at lower voltage settings to avoid thermal overload.

DR Double Regulated can be fitted to custom build MR Multirail supplies.

You are correct that the single rail SR7T with DR Double Regulation is the best of the range especially if fabricated on Teflon boards with Vishay Z-foil resistors.

Design and manufacture of high performance power supplies

• 1 month later...

@paulhynes

Hi Paul,

Any chance you can give us an update on the reorganisation of the workshop?

Hopefully lockdown restrictions in South Ulsts has eased allowing work to begin on the custom builds.

Geoff

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully Paul is still reading this thread and will respond soon.

The rising numbers of Covid in the UK may well hamper his efforts at work given his personal circumstances.

I spoke too soon regarding the return of Covid-19 lockdown. The news from around the world shows an alarming rapid increase in infections. I guess this was inevitable with people assuming they could return to normal life without the safety net of a proven working vaccine. We all need to consider carefully how we conduct our daily activities and to take steps to avoid infection if we are going to halt the spread of Covid-19.

The Isle of South Uist had fared very well compared to the rest of the world as all unnecessary travel between the islands and the mainland was banned through the first wave of covid-19 infections. Unfortunately against the wishes of many residents here the restrictions were lifted in August and the influx of tourists has now introduced Covid-19 to the island.

At the beginning of last week there was an NHS notification of three confirmed covid-19 infection cases in South Uist. By Saturday the number had risen to seven and last night on the BBC Scotland news the number had risen to seventeen with location information centred around Daliburgh a mile away from where we live. The last time I noticed the island population was circa 1,800 and to put this into perspective this is the equivalent of 944 infections per 100,000 of population, which is way ahead of the proportional infections currently seen elsewhere in the UK.

In view of this devastating news, and because it is impossible to guarantee safe use of the communal areas at the workshop, PHD Ltd has reverted back to pre lockdown release operation. Stephen and his assistant are alternating working days to keep PHD Ltd production running. The rest of the PHD Ltd staff are isolating back at home, and I am also now back at home isolating and shielding disabled family members. Unfortunately this means that my custom build schedule is back on hold until it is safe to return to the workshop.

Sorry to be the bearer of such bad tidings.

Regards

Paul

Design and manufacture of high performance power supplies

8 minutes ago, paulhynes said:

I spoke too soon regarding the return of Covid-19 lockdown. The news from around the world shows an alarming rapid increase in infections. I guess this was inevitable with people assuming they could return to normal life without the safety net of a proven working vaccine. We all need to consider carefully how we conduct our daily activities and to take steps to avoid infection if we are going to halt the spread of Covid-19.

I agree it was inevitable given our human nature.  I hope that you and your family as well as everyone at PHD Ltd stay healthy and safe and that your lives return to normal soon.

Sorry to hear this, but best of luck in maintaining everyone’s health.  Can you please email me when you get a chance. 

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

• 2 months later...

That's great news. I thought the lockdown would stop any work but Paul may have found a solution.🤞