IGNORED

Paul Hynes SR7 and SR4 Build Calendar Thread

I agree with @austinpop

The specified voltage (V) rating of a fuse is where it is garantied to function properly. When a higher voltage goes through the same fuse it might blow without causing an actual danger for the divice. 

Fuses are designed to respond to current (A) and blow when current is to high in order to protect the device.

So in your case you should use a 230v 1.6A slow blow fuse. 

4 hours ago, One and a half said:

Already underway.  there's no heatsink, how to cool the regulator,  hmm. Good price though and they are not hiding the heritage, whether it works is another story , but it's priced OK. 

Its pretty easy, just bolt it to a bigger heat sink if needed mine worked out without big heat sink.

You wont regret that purchase, it will work out just perfect and you will find out.

Yes, the price point is so cheap!

20 hours ago, Lebouwsky said:

The specified voltage (V) rating of a fuse is where it is garantied to function properly. When a higher voltage goes through the same fuse it might blow without causing an actual danger for the divice. 

Hi @sakso136

Adding to the above, the voltage rating of a fuse mainly refers to the fuse’s ability to prevent internal arcing across the melted fuse link after it blows. For example if a 220v volt fuse is used in a circuit with 600v, after the fuse blows due to an overcurrent condition, the current may still arc across the melted fuse link and conduct electricity. For the SR5, just use 230v fuse whether it’s used for 110v or 230v 

21 hours ago, Lebouwsky said:

I agree with @austinpop

Fuses are designed to respond to current (A) and blow when current is to high in order to protect the device.

So in your case you should use a 230v 1.6A slow blow fuse. 

Thks

22 hours ago, austinpop said:

These are generic comments, I don't have an SR5T. But assuming your unit has a slider or a knob to select between 110/120v and 220/240v, this is the first thing to get right. I believe that sets the transformer to the right winding ratio. It sound like you left it at 110v, then applied 220v, and your fuse has blown. Hopefully — hopefully — the fuse blowing protected your unit from any damage. The best way to test it is:

• Set the voltage slider or knob to 220/240v
  • Replace the fuse with a generic one of the same rating: 1.6A, slow blow. Plenty of time for boutique fuses later. Right now, you want to see if the unit is working
  • Turn it on, and test the voltages out of the 2 rails with the DC volts function of a multimeter
  • If you get the correct voltage on both rails, breathe a sigh of relief that you dodged a bullet
  • If it's inoperative, and the fuse is still OK, then the unit needs repair.

Good luck.

Wise words!

on my way industrial 2A 230v slow blow fuse, tommorow i should receive it,1.6a not available here i need to wait end of the month for it.

my friend told me 2A should be ok

• 4 months later...
6 hours ago, sig8 said:

Is Paul Hynes still active, making power supplies? I sent an email ir bounced back. I have bought few power supplies from him in the past.

Nope. Paul Hynes has gone bust or ceased trading for well over a year now, perhaps two years or more.

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

• 2 months later...

Hi. Just heard news about Paul Hynes closing business.  Can't believe it's 2 years now. To be honest, I have a hunch that Covid would great affect his business as it did on my Nikola linear power supply design too.

The production cost increased a lot during Covid times. several parts shortage from main suppliers and parts increased a lot. If customers already paid for their orders months or even a year ahead of schedule, production cost for their units will likely go higher.

I also adjusted the price due to changes on production cost that both technician and I are okay with. As long as people involved in production are okay with it, business can continue as long as it meets demand on market.

Regards,

Keetakawee

Happy Emm Labs/Viola/Karan/Rockport audiophile

Fidelizer - Feel the real sound http://www.fidelizer-audio.com