IGNORED

Paul Hynes SR7 and SR4 Build Calendar Thread

Most of the SR are coming along on time. For the DR version, it would be custom built by Paul himself? And that can take eons ? How much more expensive for a DR7 ? Is it worth it to get the best by doing DR? I am asking this because for e.g. I think  Farad offers DR in their PS (though they don't have a 10A version yet)

1 hour ago, Chopin75 said:

Most of the SR are coming along on time. For the DR version, it would be custom built by Paul himself? And that can take eons ? How much more expensive for a DR7 ? Is it worth it to get the best by doing DR? I am asking this because for e.g. I think  Farad offers DR in their PS (though they don't have a 10A version yet)

The only way to get a DR SR7 is to have Paul build one, but he is no longer accepting new orders..  You would have to take over an existing order from someone who no longer wants it.

The Farad is an excellent power supply but not on the same level as a DR SR7.

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered an SR4B-12 on Sept 30th (was lucky to get in the October build queue) and it arrived on November 25th. So I am happy with production time. Wish they had a Fedex option like Farad (3 days) since Royal Mail to Canada is quite slow (2.5weeks).

Question for Mark or anyone else. The primary voltages I use for my components are 9V and 12V (5/7/9/12V). This is at the high end of the range of the voltages for the SR4-12. It is at the low end of the range of the voltages for the SR4-19 (9/12/15/19V).

Other than the £20 difference in price, is there any rationale for choosing the one unit over the other from a performance perspective. If I order a second unit it might be nice to get an SR4-19, which would give me range of 5V to 19V for future considerations.

• 2 months later...

Actually I have one back with him for repair since Jan/Feb 2019 and haven't received it back yet. Correspondence has been sporadic and unreliable.😕

I have another one on order #38 so don't expect that one for sometime!

I received a message in Aug 2019 saying that progress was being made on the repair but then 2 unanswered messages in October and last week.

I just sent off 2 messages again; one to Paul and one to PHLid so will hopefully hear back with some news. 

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

22 minutes ago, HeeBroG said:

Actually I have one back with him for repair since Jan/Feb 2019 and haven't received it back yet. Correspondence has been sporadic and unreliable.😕

I received a message in Aug 2019 saying that progress was being made on the repair but then 2 unanswered messages in October and last week.

I just sent off 2 messages again; one to Paul and one to PHLid so will hopefully hear back with some news. 

Wish to receive your damaged one soon.

May i know who is PHLid and what is his email?

22 minutes ago, HeeBroG said:

50 minutes ago, beautiful music said:

In desperation I went to the site below and used their contact form.

It may not be entirely correct as it is a separate company who is now building his standard designs.

I think I must have got the idea somewhere earlier in this thread.

https://www.paulhynesdesign.com

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

14 hours ago, HeeBroG said:

Do you mean you await one custom SR7 build, returned due to defect one year ago, and still it's not repaired yet ...that's crazy.

Out of curiosity, is it a return under warranty period ?

Communication channel regarding SR7 custom build looks still to be severely broken ...far beyond broadest-ranging open mind.

...Mark and Stephen are aware of historic issues. They are anxious about customer satisfaction in PHD Ltd since Paul retired from custom builds...

Also connection between Paul and PHD Ltd is highly puzzling, we are talking about a new company, build on the IP and reputation of Paul, which operates in same town, probably same office ...but is unable to facilitate a minimum of communication from his "mentor".

My experience with PHD was fine.

SR4B-05 + 0.2 metre DC3CXLR

When I enquired on lead-time in early Nov 2019 I was told:

The next batch of SR4's are the end of year batch, with production and shipping before the 20th of December.

Ordered 13 Nov 2019
Received 23 Dec 2019

I received updates on request.

And I'm very happy with the product!

7 hours ago, Koomy said:

My experience with PHD was fine.

Ordered 13 Nov 2019
Received 23 Dec 2019

I received updates on request.

And I'm very happy with the product!

I now own three of the SR4B-12 units. BTW: I am located in Canada instead of UK.

• First unit ordered middle of September and arrived middle of November, eight weeks.
  • Second/third units ordered end of November and arrived end of January, eight weeks (including the Christmas break).

So I believe that PHD Ltd now has its act together in delivering standard builds. 

I certainly had the opportunity to purchase competing products with faster delivery time. However I believe the PHD units were worth the additional wait time.  YMMV. 

I am now considering ordering a fourth and final SR4B-12 unit (to completely outfit my system with PHD PSUs). Will keep you posted on its delivery time if I pull the trigger once more.

• 1 month later...

I did hear from Paul recently. He mentioned that due to holidays and health issues he had not done work on custom builds for several months or so, but that he was starting up again. 

The lack of reported progress here had had me very concerned for his health, so I was glad to hear that things were better for him and his family. Hopefully he is able to get into a production rhythm and work through this list (#31 so mine is still a ways away)

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers