IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

13 hours ago, dminches said:

Where does one find the change log?

Click on the version number, under Settings -> System tab

I've raised a support ticket on this new release because 4GB RAM is no longer enough to enable ramroot, I was previously able use ramroot plus up to 1GB spare for ram queue buffering. Hopefully an oversight to be resolved. Everything else looks fine (I use standalone Stylus only).

Better news is that "previous version" has been updated to be the very last version 20200430, instead of a much older version. I guess that is what caused the longer than usual update time.

5 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Has anyone gotten a "no space left on device" error in Ephony when trying to ramroot? If so how did you disable ramroot after? I can't access the Euphony setting page after getting the error. 

When you boot to Euphony it asks you if you want to copy files to RAM.  If you don’t answer it assumes (Y)es if the ramroot option has been selected.  However, you can quickly type “N” and it won’t write the root to RAM.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

2 minutes ago, dminches said:

When you boot to Euphony it asks you if you want to copy files to RAM.  If you don’t answer it assumes (Y)es if the ramroot option has been selected.  However, you can quickly type “N” and it won’t write the root to RAM.

I have tried that. I press N constantly but it doesn't recognize the keystroke. 

6 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

I have tried that. I press N constantly but it doesn't recognize the keystroke. 

Does the “N” show up on your screen but get ignored?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

2 minutes ago, dminches said:

Does the “N” show up on your screen but get ignored?

No.  After the text says to select Y/n it always defaults to Y without any "n" appearing on the screen.  I have tried it with 2 different keyboards.  Euphony does recognize the keystroke at the entry screen where you get the option to select Euphony, Reboot or Poweroff, so I know the keyboards are working through the BIOS at that point.

Just now, Johnseye said:

No.  After the text says to select Y/n it always defaults to Y without any "n" appearing on the screen.  I have tried it with 2 different keyboards.  Euphony does recognize the keystroke at the entry screen where you get the option to select Euphony, Reboot or Poweroff, so I know the keyboards are working through the BIOS at that point.

I would open a support ticket.  He responds very quickly.

Updated to the latest version and Roon sits forever displaying "The new version of Roon you installed requires a database update - this may take longer than usual" - it's been doing this for over an hour. I always get this message when I update Euphony but it usually only takes 10 minutes or so. I do have a large library (400000 songs) but it has never taken this long. Is anyone else experiencing this? I rebooted my Nuc but no difference. Tech support says they "don't know about Roon db update" and  to Roon support LOL. I also noticed that if I open Euphony in a web browser (Win10 Chrome, Edge etc. or IOS) if I go to settings or Audio systems it snaps back to the "Selected Audio System is: roonserver." page within just few a seconds. It worked perfectly fine in the previous 20200430 version.

Thx

Tony

3 hours ago, austinpop said:

I'm sure people know this, but there are 2 types of updates: system updates and feature updates. System updates include an OS change, and require a reboot, while feature updates only affect the Stylus web app code, and do not require a reboot. The "Previous release" only reflects the last system update. Over the last few months, the updates have all been feature updates, hence the lack of movement in the previous release.

As for people having trouble with Roon, here's my experience. Prior to the 0709 release, my Roon install on 0430 was up to date with Roon build 572. Here is one unfortunate flaw in the 0709 build: it has an out of date Roon version (build 505) installed. As a result, after the 0709 update, when you start Roon, you're running build 505 against your database that is updated to build 572. I think this is the cause of the issues, and I hope Željko can figure out how to include the current build of Roon in future system updates.

In my case, this was not a major catastrophe, but I did have some issues. On first start of Roon+StylusEP, my Roon client required me to login. This login took quite long (>5 mins). Finally, I got the Roon UI, along with the familiar update prompt. I then updated the Core to build 572, and yes, this caused a DB rebuild, which didn't take too long. Upon restart, I was again prompted for my Roon login (very odd), another looooong login process, and finally the UI came up. I then had a spinning circle up top, indicating Roon Core was rescanning a bunch of stuff, but it finally settled down. 

I suspect all this could have been easier if this Euphony OS build had included the latest Roon build.

experienced same. Thanks for the explanation.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

12 hours ago, austinpop said:

In my case, this was not a major catastrophe, but I did have some issues. On first start of Roon+StylusEP, my Roon client required me to login. This login took quite long (>5 mins).

Hi Rajiv, I guess you are using the Squeezebox protocol? Unfortunately the HQPlayer protocol via StylusEP doesn't work anymore with the current version. Therefore I have reverted one of my two Euphony NUCs to version 430. Another support ticket. Poor Željko. 🙂

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

Version 712 is released and HQPlayer protocol via StylusEP is working again! 

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

3 hours ago, Holzohr said:

Hi Rajiv, I guess you are using the Squeezebox protocol? Unfortunately the HQPlayer protocol via StylusEP doesn't work anymore with the current version. Therefore I have reverted one of my two Euphony NUCs to version 430. Another support ticket. Poor Željko. 🙂

Actually no — I also use HQPlyaer protocol, but I didn't get around to actually testing it on Roon, as I was playing around with Stylus and the updated options in HQPlayer. Good catch! It doesn't work for me too.

48 minutes ago, Holzohr said:

Version 712 is released and HQPlayer protocol via StylusEP is working again! 

Awesome, I updated to 0712, and Roon+StylusEP with HQPlayer protocol is now working for me too, just based on a quick test.

1 hour ago, TheAttorney said:

Željko remotely fixed my RAM limit issue very quickly (and on a Sunday) once I had activated the remote control, This is the first time I've used this feature - seems very useful to get remote control access without the user needing to run any 3rd party remote desktop type of product. Just click the red RC button to toggle RC on and off.

I continue to be impressed that a measly 4GB RAM is enough to run standalone Stylus in ramroot, with well over 1GB spare for queue buffering - enough to load several redbook albums. Makes the 2 x 48GB Taiko Extreme look a touch... extreme 🙂. My understanding is that the next update will have its RAM limits (re)adjusted to allow for minimalists like me.

Anyway, prior to the fix, I spent last night listening in non-ramroot mode for the first time in ages - and the resulting rather "digital" presentation reminded me that ramroot is definitely worthwhile, at least in my setup.

Like you I am a 4GB minimalists too, do you know what Željko has done? I can’t access ramroot for a long while now. Did he remove cover art or was it more than that? Maybe I should just buy an other 4GB simm and be done with it.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

13 hours ago, RickyV said:

Like you I am a 4GB minimalists too, do you know what Željko has done? I can’t access ramroot for a long while now. Did he remove cover art or was it more than that? Maybe I should just buy an other 4GB simm and be done with it.

My understanding is that this is simply about choosing the minimum RAM required to reliably handle a wide range of use cases,  which probably gets more critical when integrating Roon and HQP. And outputting an error message if available RAM is less than that limit. I'm guessing that Željko made some adjustments in limit checking for this last release, but didn't take into account the small number of  minimalist users.

The "fix", I guess, was simply to re-adjust the limit checker. So for standalone Stylus at least, I see no reason why 4GB RAM should not continue to be acceptable . There is no loss in functionality (cover art etc) and there is still well over 1GB spare RAM for queue buffering etc. I can't see this changing unless Željko one day announces some major new feature that requires much more RAM.

Hi Guys,

I'm using Daphile for years now and although I'm happy with it, I decided to give Euphony a try. As you all know, it's not easy to compare but I really feel Euphony sounds better. Therefore, I'm considering buying a licence.

FYI, my digital audio setup is: NUC7i5BNK in Akasa fanless, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ and HDPLex 200w LPS.

So far, the only feature I'm missing from Daphile/LMS is random album selection. Is it possible with Euphony?

Thanks.