IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

37 minutes ago, cat6man said:

not being able to be in ramroot and see an attached HDD seems very odd to me, so maybe i'm missing something?  maybe it's a trial limitation?

My understanding was that Ramroot is not supported in trial mode.

Whatever, with full license, I've not seen any difference, between ramroot and not,  in the handling of internal or external drives. What I have noticed, ramroot or not, is that mounting/dismounting drives is not particularly intuative. Maybe because I've never bothered to read the manual carefully, or maybe it's the techie linux naming structure, but there sometimes has to be a bit of faffing around to get a new drive, or remounted drive, to be fully active and recognised in the library.

5 minutes ago, cat6man said:

well, that makes the trial pretty useless.

can anyone confirm that ramroot is not supported in trial?

A long time has passed since I was in trial mode, so I honestly don't know. As others have mentioned, have you raised a support ticket?

Also, the current build is 20200430, not sure why your trial version is so out of date. 

2 minutes ago, austinpop said:

A long time has passed since I was in trial mode, so I honestly don't know. As others have mentioned, have you raised a support ticket?

Also, the current build is 20200430, not sure why your trial version is so out of date. 

thanks.

but i don't see that.  the version i have now is the latest linux download on the trial download page

13 minutes ago, cat6man said:

well, that makes the trial pretty useless.

can anyone confirm that ramroot is not supported in trial?

I was able to use ramroot in trial.

To further that, I also installed Euphony directly to my Optane drive using a guide provided by @Nenon a while back.  Simply put, I copied the Euphony config to an Optane drive while logged into Audiolinux.

4 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

I was able to use ramroot in trial.

To further that, I also installed Euphony directly to my Optane drive using a guide provided by @Nenon a while back.  Simply put, I copied the Euphony config to an Optane drive while logged into Audiolinux.

Post #373.

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

3 hours ago, Johnseye said:

While I've been using Audiolinux for years I'm fairly new to Euphony and Stylus.  I typically run Roon to HQPlayer to an NAA.  I had been experimenting with HQPlayer direct and liked what I heard so I thought I'd give Euphony a try.  While I do like what I hear, I have some concerns of which hopefully there are simple answers.

• How good is Euphony support?  I messaged them days ago and have heard nothing.  In contrast if I have a question for Piero at Audiolinux he responds within hours.
  • How often is Euphony updated?  HQPlayer on Euphony isn't running at the latest version with the latest filters and dither options.
  • Can HQPlayer be run as a stand alone player within Euphony or does it require another player in front and an NAA after?
  • Does HQPlayer in Euphony require a license?  I have both Embedded and Desktop 4 but not sure where to apply the license, unless it's included with Euphony.
  • Is it possible to access HQPlayer's config page from ipaddress:8088 or is that locked down and only available through Euphony?

I received a response after creating a Euphony Support ticket.  To answer my questions:

• Euphony support via the Support function appears to be quick.  Zelijko said he doesn't monitor the Contact form as often and was on holiday.
  • HQ Player is updated every 2-4 months.  Zelijko is working on incorporating 4.18 into Euphony now.
  • HQPlayer can not be used as a stand alone player within Euphony.
  • Your HQPlayer license can be added from the Main menu.
  • HQPlayer config page can be accessed from ipaddress:8089

The 2-4 month delay in getting current filters and updates from HQPlayer is concerning.  The actual HQPlayer "player" is a terrible interface, but it would have been good to know how it compares side by side on other platforms.

1 hour ago, Johnseye said:

• HQPlayer can not be used as a stand alone player within Euphony.

You can chose HQPlayer embedded under Audio systems. Is that not what you want?

I also have a HQPlayer 4 Desktop version for my Windows system and a HQPe licence I still have to transfer on my new Euphony NUC.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Actually now I remember: there was no ramroot mode when I trialed Euphony. It only got added due to our pestering Željko to do it!

I also have not experimented with music on removable media, nor with HQPlayer and/or NAA, so I'll let others speak to that. For me, Euphony OS really shines when using:

• Stylus player
    • with caching, and buffer queue to RAM
  • RAMroot boot mode
  • CPU isolation flags tuned
  • Max frequency empirically tuned to the boundary of harshness. This varies with quality of the PSU.

thanks!

it looks like i can run ramroot in trial mode and by copying music onto usb drive before enabling ramroot, i can get to some test tracks.........definitely an improvement over usb stick -------- but different from audiolinux v1.4

i can play with the max frequency but have no idea how to tune cpu isolation flags....any pointers?

and another point of potential difference?  are you all running euphony as a server only or also as an endpoint?

I am running Euphony/Stylus in a single PC setup.  My DAC is connected directly to the server.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

2 hours ago, Holzohr said:

You can chose HQPlayer embedded under Audio systems. Is that not what you want?

I also have a HQPlayer 4 Desktop version for my Windows system and a HQPe licence I still have to transfer on my new Euphony NUC.

You can choose HQPlayer Embedded under Audio Systems but it requires an NAA. It does not play direct.

41 minutes ago, dminches said:

I am running Euphony/Stylus in a single PC setup.  My DAC is connected directly to the server.

so my results should be taken with a grain of salt for those with a single box solution.

i'm only comparing the server portion networked to a separate NAA.

as suggested by another, i'll move comparison to audio-linux/euphony shootout thread.

21 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

You can choose HQPlayer Embedded under Audio Systems but it requires an NAA. It does not play direct.

Hmm.. no NAA needed here. I just activated my other Euphony NUC and started HQPe there. It does play direct to the DAC. There must be activated "Default output" (instead of NAA) under Output in the HQPlayer settings.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

19 minutes ago, Holzohr said:

Hmm.. no NAA needed here. I just activated my other Euphony NUC and started HQPe there. It does play direct to the DAC. There must be activated "Default output" (instead of NAA) under Output in the HQPlayer settings.

If using Roon or Stylus in front, then you don't need the NAA.

Are you using Roon or Stylus in front of HQPlayer?

Per Zelijko:

"You can run only HQplayer in Euphony but you have to have some sort of control program outside to feed it with songs."

If you're finding you can use HQPlayer without Roon, Stylus or an NAA then I'm missing something.

23 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

If using Roon or Stylus in front, then you don't need the NAA.

Are you using Roon or Stylus in front of HQPlayer?

Per Zelijko:

"You can run only HQplayer in Euphony but you have to have some sort of control program outside to feed it with songs."

If you're finding you can use HQPlayer without Roon, Stylus or an NAA then I'm missing something.

Yes, I am using Roon in front of HQPlayer. I mean I feed HQPe from another Euphony NUC running Roon there. How do you want to feed HQPe with songs? 

I just opened the web interface. I guess I forgot user name and password. Do you know about them?

8 minutes ago, Holzohr said:

Yes, I am using Roon in front of HQPlayer. I mean I feed HQPe from another Euphony NUC running Roon there. How do you want to feed HQPe with songs? 

I just opened the web interface. I guess I forgot user name and password. Do you know about them?

I wanted to use the native HQPlayer interface.  I am aware of the user name and password, thanks.

Ok, I found out user name and password by trial and error. I will have a further look tomorrow. Bedtime here. 

I'm looking to do this because I heard a significant improvement by removing Roon as the source to HQPlayer.  HQPlayer direct was much better.  I need to evaluate this much further and this prompted my further look into Euphony as a platform.  I hate to eliminate Roon, but something has either changed with it or HQPlayer.

Hi John,

I have attached my USB disk at the Euphony/HQPlayer NUC today. I had to switch to Stylus to mount/attach the USB disk and its music partition. /data/1.42.6-24922/ is the music partition in my case. Then I switched to HQPlayer embedded. In the web interface I typed /data/1.42.6-24922/ as library path and pushed the 'scan' button. The NUC was busy then for the next minutes scanning all the folders. I just listen via HQPlayer embedded standalone without Roon or something else in front. I use the Android app HQPDcontrol. I would have made some pics but I am in a hurry.

You also could try Roon together with the Stylus player. Just switch to 'Roon Core + StylusEP' and add the HQPlayer on Roon. Euphony is using the 'HQPlayer protocol' for their Stylus player then. I like this way very much.

Mario

30 minutes ago, Holzohr said:

Hi John,

I have attached my USB disk at the Euphony/HQPlayer NUC today. I had to switch to Stylus to mount/attach the USB disk and its music partition. /data/1.42.6-24922/ is the music partition in my case. Then I switched to HQPlayer embedded. In the web interface I typed /data/1.42.6-24922/ as library path and pushed the 'scan' button. The NUC was busy then for the next minutes scanning all the folders. I just listen via HQPlayer embedded standalone without Roon or something else in front. I use the Android app HQPDcontrol. I would have made some pics but I am in a hurry.

You also could try Roon together with the Stylus player. Just switch to 'Roon Core + StylusEP' and add the HQPlayer on Roon. Euphony is using the 'HQPlayer protocol' for their Stylus player then. I like this way very much.

Mario

Thank you very much Mario, I will try this and let you know how it goes.

Where does one find the change log?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific