IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

I must be the only one that found the sound quality difference with the latest release to not necessarily be an improvement.  I noticed a little more detail (mostly in the highs) that others are reporting and a little more authority in the lows, but I find the sound to be less natural overall and noticeably shorter soundstage (the first thing I noticed right off the bat). The release must’ve affected the balance I had with my configuration somehow, and I probably need to tweak some settings to optimize it. But reverted back 20200712 and all is well again, so I’ll probably just stick with this as long as I can.

I agree with the sound quality k27R, it has gone to pieces for me. It has lost the natural feel and there is less space and musicality. The core temperatures and stress have gone right up, I have had to allocate more cores to Stylus to keep them out of the red continually as this was causing a harshness to the sound. Now to figure out if it will let me go back two releases, or do I have start again?

14 hours ago, k27R said:

I must be the only one that found the sound quality difference with the latest release to not necessarily be an improvement. 

I felt SQ gained some detail and PRaT as earlier posts had noted. It seemed to give more of everything, so beautiful recordings showed greater beauty and bright recordings seemed a touch brighter. Overall, the gains were greater than the losses, but after a few albums I could no longer remember how the old version sounded.

I saw no obvious increases in CPU loading or temperature. Most of the time, each core flicked between 0-3% and sometime a bit more. The cores running the O/S would occasionally jump to between around 10% and 25%, but this only lasted for a brief second, as it did before. This running standalone Stylus, ramroot, buffering, no DSP, direct to USB.

On 10/7/2020 at 10:56 PM, shadowlight said:

Can I run the software on a virtual host and does it have support for something similar to Roon Radio?

Yes Stylus has a Radio feature similar (not identical) to Roon's (see bottom right of screenshot below). However, in my case it hasn't worked for the last few releases , with amber error message below. I've not bothered to raise a bug so far because it's not an important feature for me. I don't know whether Euphony will run on virtual hosts, but I guess that any extra O/S layer can only degrade SQ.

image.thumb.png.a58283bdf60c29685740c19e2b5d25f4.png

4 hours ago, Speedy381 said:

I agree with the sound quality k27R, it has gone to pieces for me. It has lost the natural feel and there is less space and musicality. The core temperatures and stress have gone right up, I have had to allocate more cores to Stylus to keep them out of the red continually as this was causing a harshness to the sound. Now to figure out if it will let me go back two releases, or do I have start again?

If you are finding a very big difference in CPU usage then something is not right with your system.  How long did you allow the system to run on the new version before concluding there was an issue?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

30 minutes ago, dminches said:

If you are finding a very big difference in CPU usage then something is not right with your system.  How long did you allow the system to run on the new version before concluding there was an issue?

I have tried a few reboots over the past couple of days. It starts well then begins to build cpu usage.

1 hour ago, Speedy381 said:

I have tried a few reboots over the past couple of days. It starts well then begins to build cpu usage.

Is the system rescanning your library?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Update to my issues. 

Support were superb in their speed of response and action. It seems that the e_cache directory had been deleted, either in the update or by myself somehow. If it was me, it would have been using file manager, but unsure how. 

That was causing a loop as the system hunted for it. 

Sound testing later, but I'm confident now the cpu is unstressed that all will be well again. 

Anyone running Stylus endpoint on a Mac mini? If so, thoughts on which used Mac mini to use? (Euphony says OSX supported, newer models run Catalina?)

I'd like to give Stylus server + Stylus endpoint a shot but don't want the USB endpoint to be a NUC, wasnt that impressed with the difference using 2 NUCs vs

1 in the past.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

3 hours ago, davide256 said:

Anyone running Stylus endpoint on a Mac mini? If so, thoughts on which used Mac mini to use? (Euphony says OSX supported, newer models run Catalina?)

I'd like to give Stylus server + Stylus endpoint a shot but don't want the USB endpoint to be a NUC, wasnt that impressed with the difference using 2 NUCs vs

1 in the past.

Be careful

using Mac. Latest Macs do not support USB boot, unless there are new changes, mainly due to T2 chip

for security. 2018 mini and macbooks are affected

• 2 weeks later...
I have been looking at it, but I can't seem to find any information in the software description as regards how CPU isolation can be set up.
Could someone please demonstrate it with images how the CPU isolation of the registered Euphony Stylus can be configured and what needs to be put into the Expert Settings > CPU Isolation field?

I use the software in Roon Core + Stylus EP configuration with an Intel i7-9700T CPU.
I have 8 CPU cores at my disposal and I would like to allocate those cores.

I have set up the min - max CPU frequency and the SQ has dramatically improved, therefore I would like to perform further settings.

My motherboard is an ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-I itx.
Furthermore, as I have been reading the forum, it is not clear for me what settings need to be performed (what needs to be enabled) in the motherboard's UEFI in order to improve SQ under Euphony.
Does the Stylus need for the virtual cores to be enabled, is there anything that needs to be enabled or disabled in the CPU power management in the motherboard's UEFI, furthermore is there anything that needs to be set up anywhere else in order to improve SQ?

The first range of core numbers are for general processing of Euphony. Then comes stylus, and next Roon, HQP, etc. I don't use either so I forget the process names. However, once you hit apply, you'll get the screen that shows the processes and core assignments. Roon should be easy to identify. "gstp" is the actual playback processor and so, personally, I've found that giving it more cores is beneficial, up till the point it causes harshness. 

The image below is a good starting point. Along with some others, I haven't found isolating stylus did much and that devoting cores to gstp did a lot. So what I posted above (0 gstp 1-7) gives one core to everything including stylus and reserves 7 cores for gstp. This seems extreme to me even as I'm doing it so it may not work well in other systems.

Good luck and report back if you can!

654193123_ScreenShot2020-10-25at10_16_06PM.thumb.png.844a631dd4f784d10e7ee7f335474645.png

1783236870_ScreenShot2020-10-25at10_13_48PM.thumb.png.c75228bcc2c85a10db247ad1bbdf3724.png

10 hours ago, kraftundkultur said:
I use the software in Roon Core + Stylus EP configuration with an Intel i7-9700T CPU.
I have 8 CPU cores at my disposal and I would like to allocate those cores.

I have set up the min - max CPU frequency and the SQ has dramatically improved, therefore I would like to perform further settings.

My motherboard is an ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-I itx.

Hi, can you share what min - max CPU frequency you used? I think I have the same motherboard as you do, my CPU is i9-9900K.  Best if you could share a screenshot, thanks!

8 hours ago, Randomrunner said:

Hi, can you share what min - max CPU frequency you used? I think I have the same motherboard as you do, my CPU is i9-9900K.  Best if you could share a screenshot, thanks!

What power supply are you using?  That is what really drives what max CPU frequency will work with your setup.  Before I got my Sean Jacobs DC4 I had to throttle the max frequency back.  After I added the SJ DC4 I didn't have to limit it.

15 hours ago, edwardsean said:

The first range of core numbers are for general processing of Euphony. Then comes stylus, and next Roon, HQP, etc. I don't use either so I forget the process names. However, once you hit apply, you'll get the screen that shows the processes and core assignments. Roon should be easy to identify. "gstp" is the actual playback processor and so, personally, I've found that giving it more cores is beneficial, up till the point it causes harshness. 

The image below is a good starting point. Along with some others, I haven't found isolating stylus did much and that devoting cores to gstp did a lot. So what I posted above (0 gstp 1-7) gives one core to everything including stylus and reserves 7 cores for gstp. This seems extreme to me even as I'm doing it so it may not work well in other systems.

Good luck and report back if you can!

654193123_ScreenShot2020-10-25at10_16_06PM.thumb.png.844a631dd4f784d10e7ee7f335474645.png

1783236870_ScreenShot2020-10-25at10_13_48PM.thumb.png.c75228bcc2c85a10db247ad1bbdf3724.png

Thanks for the information, I'll try it soon