IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

I find playing with isolation/CPU freq very useful after I increase every thing I find my euphony environment become faster and sound stage is wide  with depth adding more dynamics and details.

I am not sure if I need to limit this but after some time I can't accept the harshness so I reduce cpu freq .
I didn't have custom power supply yet.

I think default and gstp Somehow is affecting the soundstage with depth and stylus affecting the dynamics and speed .

1 hour ago, davide256 said:

is there a process name for embedded HQPlayer that core isolation should be tried with as with gstp for Euphony? I searched the site and

couldn't find a process name for HQPlayer

33 minutes ago, Lukasluis said:

hqplayerd

Just to add to the answer already provided, for future reference — an easy way to identify the process name is to just click on the "Apply" button for the CPU Isolation line in Expert settings. You get a list of currently running processes, along with the current CPU assignments. A glance through this list would have shown you pretty quickly that the answer was "hqplayerd."

You do have to have the appropriate audio service running, though. 

On 9/9/2020 at 6:36 AM, edwardsean said:

In the end [0-1 gstp 2-7] is worth whatever tradeoffs to my ears.

I'm one of the few who continue to use the low power route for my fanless NUC7i7.

For months now, I've stayed with HT off, 1.1Ghz and [0-1 stylus 2 gstp 3] (other BIOS at default) and found this to be at least as good as HT on and turbo 4.2Ghz - although it's possible some of this may be wishful thinking for the peace of mind of having dramatically lower power consumption and CPU temperatures. With my NUC powered by a PH SR7XL (SR), at no point did I have any harshness issues with the turbo settings - I just found the above lower settings to sound at least as good, with no obvious reduction in dynamics.

I found Core Isolation differences to be rather subtle, but the above settings seemed marginally the best, and certainly the best spread of objective CPU core loading. As a result of your findings, I recently tried allocating more to gstp at the expense of stylus, resulting in [0-1 gstp 2-3]. This gave me a rather nice incremental SQ - more clarity and focus, and tonally much the same. A quick test of [0 gstp 1-3] was not encouraging, so I'm sticking with [0-1 gstp 2-3] and am very pleased.

With no dedicated monitor or keyboard, it's not simple for me to make BIOS changes, but I was curious about the recent  C and P state etc discussions. So I tried to find them on my NUC's BIOS screens, but the closest I could find was [Low Power/Balanced/Max Performance] under Primary Power options. It was set to the default Balanced. I changed it to Max Performance, which I think disables more of the energy efficiency features. This made no difference to idle time CPU temperature or power consumption, so not obvious what material  effect this had, but it did seem to incrementally change the SQ - making it slightly darker in a good way. Kinder to poor recordings, with no loss in dynamics etc.

I'm not sure how real the 2nd change was because it's such a pain for me to keep changing the BIOS. And I expect Euphony/Stylus to already have optimised such parameters if it was able to do so. Whatever, my NUC has never sounded better and the changes were free!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm continuing to play around with core isolation while I listen and make changes to my system. I've found it is just not a matter of giving gstp as many cores as you can. At least if you are only working with 8 cores or less. The more you devote to gstp the more the sound gets solid and defined. However, like with processing speed, it can come at the cost of bringing out more edge and unwanted brightness. I've backed off from 0-2 gstp 2-7 to 0-2 gstp 3-7. 

This is right for my current configuration, but of course this is all so system dependent. Calibrating the isolation on Euphony is interesting. As long as you have a highly resolving system the changes are immediately apparent. I've even found a difference between default and 0-7 stylus 0-7 gstp 0-7, the latter being more clear but less fluid. 

Some might think of the changes as subtle and unnecessary, but if you've come this far, having this bit of tuning is very satisfying. 

• 2 weeks later...

This OS update has resulted in a striking increase in detail, tonality, and PRAT in my system.  Highly recommended.

SB88200 cable modem,  EdgeRouterX SFP router,  2 series PFU Buffalo BS-GS2016 switches w/ SR7T LPS and Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL SFPs, Taiko NetCard, JCAT USBCard XE w/ JCAT Optimo 3 Duo LPS;  DIY Taiko Extreme w/ Taiko DC-ATX, and Nenon design Level 3 supply;  Denafrips GAIA DDC w/ Revelation Audio Prophecy Cryro Silver I2S connection to Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC;  modified Pass Labs XP22 preamp,  Pass X600.8 monoblocks,  restored and modified Sound Lab M-1 electrostats with hot rod backplates

I noticed that the update disabled RAMROOT.  When I go to re-enable it I am getting a message that it is not be used with Stylus.  Is this new?  I have been using RAMROOT ever since I started using Euphony.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

32 minutes ago, dminches said:

I noticed that the update disabled RAMROOT.  When I go to re-enable it I am getting a message that it is not be used with Stylus.  Is this new?  I have been using RAMROOT ever since I started using Euphony.

I was also selecting “copy app” which I shouldn’t have been.  It is working fine now.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Cosmetic changes in case anyone is interested:

- Play que is now dark grey instead of light grey. 

- Track selection bar is now flat teal color

- Background album art is darker and less distracting

- Now playing cover art resolution has bumped up from 300px, though still not full quality. 

Anwar's notes above say:  "Use original cover for Playing now screen" 

Anyone know what this means? Original cover art always showed for me in the Playing now screen. 

I never knew that if you click on the cover art in the “now playing” mode it brings up any associated files.  I have a lot of .txt files in my music directories which give me more information about the recording.  

4 hours ago, lwr said:

This OS update has resulted in a striking increase in detail, tonality, and PRAT in my system.  Highly recommended.

My reaction exactly. The moment I heard it I thought, "What happened? Is it my old brain, or has there been a dramatic improvement in my little system?" Don't know what happened, but I will keep it.

The first thing I noticed was an increase in clarity and focus. Then, deeper soundstage. Especially nice since I have a Partaker fanless mini PC with a Celeron chip and only 4GB of RAM. WOW!

5 hours ago, dminches said:

I get the same message with prior version when I try to switch from Stylus server to Stylus endpoint only, can run server in RAM but not endpoint only

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I have just performed the update and for the first time I have enabled RamRoot. I did the required reboot after selecting it.

Weeks ago I moved my Euphony PTS server out of my listening room and away from my system. It is connected to an EtherREGEN and then to a Sonore optical module and then to a Signature Rendu SE Optical unit. I am running in Roon + Stylus mode. In the room where my Euphony server is I have a USB out from the Euphony server to a DAC in that room.

I have a question, using Euphony in this manner should I hear or expect to hear an improvement in sound after doing this update in the room I stream via Roon to the Signature Rendu? It sounds pretty darned good as I type this.

I expect to hear an improvement in sound when using the Euphony server to send sound out through the USB via Stylus, I am just curious if this will improve the sound using a remote Roon endpoint.

15 hours ago, Anwar said:

- Added sorting option: 'random'

This is a feature I requested. Nice to see that they listen to their customers!

I also noticed that ramroot was disabled after the upgrade but I was able to re-enable it without any problem.

I was a happy Daphile user but Euphony is far, far better.

Well done and thanks to the Euphony team!!!

I concur, the new version has an uptick in sound quality. Well done Euphony. 

I thought I would go & test (again) running two box solution.

Euphony running on my NUC (OXCO clock+ Sean Jacobs LPS) 

sending music to..My server running Stylus EP. 

& vice versa. 

Results? One box server wins, without any doubt. But still not a fair test without having same kit on each box! 

17 hours ago, davide256 said:

I get the same message with prior version when I try to switch from Stylus server to Stylus endpoint only, can run server in RAM but not endpoint only

Ok, stated that incorrectly...I was trying to use the load app data to RAM option with Stylus endpoint and under the prior version it wouldn't let me do that,

seems to be working now with update. I'm guessing from the consistent "deny" message with Stylus server that bad things happen when app data is stored to RAM?

Fingers crossed that HQPlayer embedded works better now with Stylus server, I like it but buffering before play has been a PITA

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

On 10/6/2020 at 7:43 AM, louawalters said:

I just completed the update, I have ramroot working in stylus, but when I play TIDAL I get no sound....   I authorized Euphony but not sure if a reboot is required or not...  forgot to mention stylus is playing through HQPlayer.   Everything else works including TIDAL on Roon.

Same problem. Tidal through HQP under stylus doesn’t play. Asked for official help already.

Yup, Stylus/HQPlayer/Tidal is broken. 

Just received this from Željko:

“ I'm afraid this is HQPlayer problem. It doesn't play on my test system also but when I enter the URL of the song (taken from HQPlayer log) and put it in browser, it plays without problem. 
The change from previous version is that we were forced by Tidal to implement new authorization API (you saw that already) but with that change they also changed some things in API itself (when accessed with new authorization scheme). It seems one of those changes broke the HQPlayer ability either to download the song or parse the song URL. 
I suggest you use Stylus without HQPlayer until this is resolved.. “