IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

- Added option to buffer entire Queue to RAM

With my 16 GB RAM NUC7i5BNH, it seems the RAM buffer is limited to 8 GB.  So far this is not a problem, including when buffering a folder with DSD256 album.  The "i" info per playlist item will change from white to blue indicating buffering is done.

Music server builder

18 hours ago, Blake said:

Question:

My system is as follows:

MacBook Pro > wireless > Apple Airport > ethernet cable > EtherRegen > ethernet cable > Sonore UltraRendu > DAC.

I only stream via Tidal (I don't play any locally stored content). 

If I install Euphony (beta version with UPNP support) on the MacBook Pro:

1. When streaming Tidal, will I be getting  the full sound quality benefit of the both the Euphony OS and Stylus Player, or would I need to run a one-box solution in place of the MacBook Pro + UltraRendu, such as a NUC to get the Euphony OS and Stylus Player sound quality improvements?

I would suggest doing an A/B comparison of the Mac as Stylus server connected to the DAC vs current setup. If I had to assign numbers, I'd say 80% of my improvement

comes from using Stylus as endpoint DAC connection and the other 20% from when I use Stylus as a 1 box solution.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

8 hours ago, Nenon said:

This is the option I am excited about:

Where is this option located? I can't find it anywhere, but I seem to have it set anyway because there is now no buffering when skipping to next track, and most of my queued items are marked blue. I say "most" because I currently have over 100 tracks in my play queue and only 4GB RAM, which is shown to be over 80% used (and marked red, implying a limit is being reached). Despite this low memory, Stylus keeps playing and adjusting what's marked Blue, so I imagine it's dynamically adjusting what's buffered when it gets to RAM limits.

EDIT: I've found it now, at the top of the queue. It displayes that 100 tracks are buffered, out of 117 currently in queue. But there is still a small bit of disc activity when skipping tracks.

One small enhancement (that I had requested), that's not listed in the change log, is that the current track playing is now always in display whenever you get back to the play queue. Previously, returning to the play queue always went to the start of the queue, so you then had to scroll down to find the track playing - significant when there's a long queue spread over several pages. This now works well.

Click on artist name opens artist's page on LastFM

I'm a bit confused about this one. I had asked for the ability to see all other albums by an artist when you are on the Now Playing screen of that artist (a roon-like feature). This has been implemented when you click on the artist name on the Now Playing page. In practice, this has been done by a filtered search, but you then have to go to library view to see that result. I'd rather you were taken directly to that result if that's possible.

Not sure how that relates to the above change log entry, or if that is a different feature that I haven't spotted yet.

I have updated to the new version and also playing with 4GB RAM but when I push ramroot it says “Sorry, you don't have enough RAM to use ramroot with Euphony.

Now I am really confused. I was gonna say “ and I do not see Buffer queue to ram” button. Then thought, but I play from Tidal so it can’t buffer the queue. So I went to 

My Music to look for the button. I haven’t been there in a while because I have my music on a ssd and it is NOT connected, so tidal only.  To my surprise there’s a music on there maybe not all but 6 albums or so? Somehow I have accidentally copied a part of my ssd to the 32GB optane stick. 
Can this be the cause of the not enough RAM for ramroot. And how can I delete the 6 albums?

Before the update I also used ramroot.

75922812-8CF8-4797-A458-E90DF72957B6.thumb.jpeg.c2327be84f1bd7d89ec3c15478abd633.jpeg

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

With the new version has anyone yet compared SQ of Stylus to Roon ? Using ramroot, on a couple of songs I played this morning, I find that its harder to differentiate between them though I haven't gotten a chance to compared them extensively.

20 minutes ago, Dev said:

1586720323_ScreenShot2020-01-15at12_52_28PM.thumb.png.ad78865a50f1bd33d4fb517fdde6da44.png

This is interesting. As the Summus is basically a NUC8, I wonder what those special features are ?

Perhaps with a marketing intention...

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

2 hours ago, RickyV said:

I have updated to the new version and also playing with 4GB RAM but when I push ramroot it says “Sorry, you don't have enough RAM to use ramroot with Euphony.

Now I am really confused. I was gonna say “ and I do not see Buffer queue to ram” button. Then thought, but I play from Tidal so it can’t buffer the queue. So I went to 

My Music to look for the button. I haven’t been there in a while because I have my music on a ssd and it is NOT connected, so tidal only.  To my surprise there’s a music on there maybe not all but 6 albums or so? Somehow I have accidentally copied a part of my ssd to the 32GB optane stick. 
Can this be the cause of the not enough RAM for ramroot. And how can I delete the 6 albums?

Before the update I also used ramroot.

75922812-8CF8-4797-A458-E90DF72957B6.thumb.jpeg.c2327be84f1bd7d89ec3c15478abd633.jpeg

Ramroot problem is fixed. I managed to delete 68% of the /data partition so “my music” is now empty. Now I can engage ramroot. 
New question: Is it normal to have 4 partitions? Especially the two 3.4GB partitions.

Under development:

31 minutes ago, RickyV said:

Ramroot problem is fixed. I managed to delete 68% of the /data partition so “my music” is now empty. Now I can engage ramroot. 
New question: Is it normal to have 4 partitions? Especially the two 3.4GB partitions.

I think it is normal to have these partitions - mine are the same. From memory, the two 3.4GB partitions are for the Current and Last Saved versions, used so it's easy to roll back to the Last Saved version for any reason - something I've never needed to do.

16 hours ago, Nenon said:

This is the option I am excited about:

This is the feature I posted about several weeks ago. I'm glad it's finally out in release form. Let me know what you think.

I've only just returned from some extended travel, so have not yet had a chance to try the official version.

7 minutes ago, austinpop said:

This is the feature I posted about several weeks ago. I'm glad it's finally out in release form. Let me know what you think.

I've only just returned from some extended travel, so have not yet had a chance to try the official version.

I definitely like it. That was a great idea! 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

Can Euphony/Stylus output to Aries G2?

i use ROON also. HQPlayer with NAA doesn’t work with Auralic Aries. I’d guess Euphony/Stylus can’t either ?

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

for folks who are using the Euphony with NUC7i7DNHE/DNBE what kind of CPU temp are you getting ? When running Roon (without any library scanning), I am in 50-60s which I think is a bit high. I am on the latest Bios and everything set to default. I also don't limit the CPU freq. With AL, I am in < 40s.

14 minutes ago, Dev said:

for folks who are using the Euphony with NUC7i7DNHE/DNBE what kind of CPU temp are you getting ? When running Roon (with any library scanning), I am in 50-60s which I think is a bit high. I am on the latest Bios and everything set to default. I also don't limit the CPU freq. With AL, I am in 30s.

Using a NUC 8i7 in Akasa Turing Case I'm seeing 40-50s. Before, with the NUC case, same temp as yours.

15 hours ago, Dev said:

for folks who are using the Euphony with NUC7i7DNHE/DNBE what kind of CPU temp are you getting ? When running Roon (without any library scanning), I am in 50-60s which I think is a bit high. I am on the latest Bios and everything set to default. I also don't limit the CPU freq. With AL, I am in < 40s.

I have Stylus running on 7i7DN in the small, fanless, Porcoolpine case. The CPU speed makes a huge difference to the CPU temperature. At full throttle (Turbo and Hyperthreading on), the temp hovered around 70C. At my current setting (1.1 Ghz, hyperthreading off) temp is around 36C, and total server AC power consumption is a miserly 8W. Any speed up to the base 1.9Ghz makes only a small difference to temp - it's the Turbo boost that greatly impacts temp.

When I had hyperhthreading on, the faster CPU speeds sounded better, as is current consensus around here. With hyperthreading off, I heard little difference between the CPU speeds - and actually slightly preferred current setting to Turbo. This could have been wishful thinking because the peace of mind of low temp (and helping save the planet) makes me feel so much more relaxed that it makes my system sound better too 🙂

49 minutes ago, TheAttorney said:

I have Stylus running on 7i7DN in the small, fanless, Porcoolpine case. The CPU speed makes a huge difference to the CPU temperature. At full throttle (Turbo and Hyperthreading on), the temp hovered around 70C. At my current setting (1.1 Ghz, hyperthreading off) temp is around 36C, and total server AC power consumption is a miserly 8W. Any speed up to the base 1.9Ghz makes only a small difference to temp - it's the Turbo boost that greatly impacts temp.

When I had hyperhthreading on, the faster CPU speeds sounded better, as is current consensus around here. With hyperthreading off, I heard little difference between the CPU speeds - and actually slightly preferred current setting to Turbo. This could have been wishful thinking because the peace of mind of low temp (and helping save the planet) makes me feel so much more relaxed that it makes my system sound better too 🙂

I reduced the frequency of my NUC 8i7 to a fix frequency of 400hz and disabled hyperthreading. I could not be happier as it now more analog sounding but without losing the micro details, more palpable midrange, timber of instruments have improved a lot and PRAT is more correct. It is much more musical now. I use Stylus and the NUC is directly connected to my DAC. When using Roon and listening from remote endpoint, these improvements seems to be less pronounced or even negligible.

Before the CPU freq was not set and Hyperthreading-enabled, I could see the temp hovers to 70degrees. 

My 7i7DNKE is still in the NUC case. I have activated low power and deactivated HT and Turbo Boost.

nuc7i7dnke.jpg

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

1 hour ago, TheAttorney said:

I have set my nuc7i7dn to fanless in the bios. The CPU speed now fluctuates between 3.5 and 3.8 Ghz and I am likening the sound. My CPU temperature under 50c but I have a different case.

I have also disabled  all int. and ext USB ports except the 3.1 ports. HT off the rest is on in that menu. Power is set to max.

It is my belief that if you set the nuc to fanless the fan circuit is switch off and does not consume power or creates noise. 

Not sure if it's possible to switch off one of the display ports. A while back somebody switched of one or two display ports and bricked the nuc.

Under development:

@austinpop Hi Rajiv, did you already test Roon and StylusEP via the HQPlayer way? Wondering what you think about the sq. One issue I have is the low volume of StylusEP after each boot (or when I switch from RoonBridge to StylusEP). A restart of StylusEP does fix it though.

Mario

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55916-euphony-os-wstylus-player-setup-and-issues-thread/page/35/?tab=comments#comment-1020227

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro