IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

4 hours ago, adamaley said:

So, essentially, besides speed and a minimum 8GB space, there are no other factors to consider? 

It also depends if you want to store music in the drive or use Ecache to load the music into the drive. If you want to store music files on Euphony then you need more GB, and there is also space reserved for Ecache, too and the larger the drive the more space there is for it. Using Ecache  means you just load whatever music you want to play at that time into the drive, which can be done remotely via file manager, or via attached external/internal drive, or (I think also via network drive). Since any attached drive can cause noise, remotely loading to it is best method, and for me works best. 

@audiopop I read you do large amount of testing for Euphony, are you aware if the JCAT driver has been optimized for SQ? I believe it's just using a generic driver? Marcin comments below. If it's not been done already would be good to trial?

•  
On 2/18/2020 at 8:46 AM, ASRMichael said:

Re Femto Drivers. As owners are aware when you purchase the Femto there is a guide on how to get the best SQ by changing driver settings, well in Windows at least. As for Linux I believe it's just a generic driver. Generic what does this mean? it simply doesn't have all the settings Windows driver has, so can't be optimized?, is it an inferior driver?, if so, then can the driver be improved?/optimized?

I think that some settings can be adjusted, but I can't provide detailed instructions as my experience with linux is limited. 

15 minutes ago, ASRMichael said:

JCAT driver has been optimized for SQ? I believe it's just using a generic driver? Marcin comments below. If it's not been done already would be good to trial?

the drivers for Intel i350 chip used in JCAT Net card comes from the vendor Intel themselves (both in Linux and Windows). What Marcin does is to tune the parameters for Windows - these parameters may not be the same as the Linux variant due to large differences in OS behavior.

I haven't looked into all the settings that are recommended in Windows but you can map some of them in Linux and use ethtool utility to set them. I believe Euphony has this capability under Expert settings as "ethtool command line params".

There could be other parameters that are set using driver argument at load time and in such case Euphony needs to be enhanced. Since this card is becoming very popular (I also have one), its a good avenue to explore in Linux.

Hi,

I will make a fanless NUS to run Euphony Stylus with Tidal. I'm thinking of buy:

- NUC: NUC8i3BEH or NUC8i5BEH

- Disk: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250 GB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD

- Case: Akasa Turing

This seems good? Or do you have any other recommendation? What RAM(amount and model) do you recommend?

Thank you in advance.

It seems that most people here are using Euphony Stylus, but I am interested so know if there are any using Euphony with Roon Server, as I am having some issues that are likely related to the combo.

I have a dual PC setup, with Euphony running Roon Server on a dedicated machine, and a streamer using Euphony with either Roon Bridge or Stylus EP. My issue is on the Roon Server machine, characterized by somewhat random system hangs every 24 to 48 hours or so.

Originally thinking it was a hardware issue, I have replaced every piece of hardware excluding the processor and hard disks, including ethernet cables, the HDPlex linear power supply, the DC-ATX converter, memory and the mainboard. The exact phenomenon has persisted through all of these changes.  I have run the system with Stylus instead of Roon Server for up to two days without any incident - I am currently extending this to be confident it is a Roon - Euphony interaction problem, and am at the 2 day mark without issue yet.

The current system consists of an Asus Strix B450-i gaming MB, Ryzen 1700 processor, 16 GB of crucial DDR4 2666 Ram, Samsung NVME boot disc, Western Digital m.2 ssd music storage all in a fanless HDPlex case (although previously used a high end active cooling solution).  I have an nVidia GT 710 graphics card, but I only physically connect it to problem solve, running graphics free else-wise.

I have been in contact with Euphony support and provided system logs (which I can reproduce here), but they apparently don't show anything suspicious.  I am currently working with Roon to see if anything can be done.

Anyone here have any similar experience or thoughts?

I have a single box streamer with Euphony. From time to time I run, and leave running, Roon Server as Roon Core + StylusEP.

After a day or a few days, the system hangs and I have to reboot. Reply from Željko is to check whether it hangs if left on Stylus instead of RC+StEP. It doesn't. So something to do with Roon and Euphony (or that version of Linux).

Same problem occurs for me using AudioLinux in the past during version 2 and after months of troubleshooting with Piero still couldn't discover the issue. 

So I've given up now and after each session of listening, I simply reboot to Stylus after switching off the DAC

51 minutes ago, flkin said:

Whatever the case may be, with these settings, I further found that I could then run both Roon (from ST) and Stylus (from PF) side by side and play tracks from either, from the same database, without having to switch systems inside Euphony. Playing a track from Roon would stop Stylus playing and switch to Roon. And vice versa, with Stylus automatically stopping Roon's playback upon selecting a Stylus track.

It's very nice to be able to switch between the two instantly. Hope others will find this useful too! 

That's a really interesting discovery indeed! I run the Roon server on my Euphony system (NUC7i7DNKE) together with StylusEP via "HQPlayer" and switch to Stylus now and then. I also have a HQPe licence for the NUC but don't use it at the moment. 

Not at home untill tomorrow but will give it a try reactivating the Roon server on my Windows machine (it's a Roon bridge at the moment).

Thank you.

Mario

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

3 hours ago, flkin said:

An interesting discovery about Euphony  😉

I wonder if this has already been discovered or whether its a designed function of Euphony of which I was unaware but there is a way to run Stylus and Roon at the same time with the same music database without having to switch between the two in the Euphony Select Audio System menu.

Before last night, I had to choose either to play by Stylus for the sound quality or Roon/StylusEP to use Roon's excellent music discovery interface. And I had to switch between the two using the "Select Audio System" menu.

Well it turns out you don't have to. 😄

Step 1:

I play Stylus from my all-in-one Pink Faun 2.16x streamer (PF). My music database is in this streamer. I select the upsampling function by "HQPlayer for Stylus".

Step 2:

I installed Roon in another server on my network which happened to be a spare SonicTransporter (ST) I had lying around and was repurposed into a Plex server for my movies. From here, I pointed to the same music library inside my PF.

This way I was planning to use Stylus for playback but have the Roon resource ready at a moments notice to research or find music.

Step 3:

With the recent version of Euphony, there is a new function which allows Roon to play higher than 192kHz files through Squeezelite using HQPlayer as the conduit. It's simply to opt to use HQPlayer in Roon and to use "euphony" in place of "localhost", then select to use Squeezebox devices in Roon's menu settings. Then selecting HQPlayer as the output device - which should be working as StylusEP via HQP.

This all works fine as expected but I found that HQP was upsampling my Roon playback despite Roon saying it wasn't supposed to with the upsampling settings the same as what I selected inside Stylus. This might be that I selected to use HQPlayer in Stylus inside the PF streamer or that my Roon installation was outside of Euphony.

Whatever the case may be, with these settings, I further found that I could then run both Roon (from ST) and Stylus (from PF) side by side and play tracks from either, from the same database, without having to switch systems inside Euphony. Playing a track from Roon would stop Stylus playing and switch to Roon. And vice versa, with Stylus automatically stopping Roon's playback upon selecting a Stylus track.

It's very nice to be able to switch between the two instantly. Hope others will find this useful too! 

Cheers, Kin

Unanswered questions:

- How does Roon/StylusEP/HQP upsampled sound compared to Stylus?

- Perhaps there is no need to upsample and Stylus/Roon will still work side by side? 

- Will the EtherRegen now finally sound good if it's placed between the SonicTransporter and my Pink Faun acting as an Euphony End Point?

Hi is this working the same way as I posted in #872?

5 hours ago, flkin said:

An interesting discovery about Euphony  😉

I wonder if this has already been discovered or whether its a designed function of Euphony of which I was unaware but there is a way to run Stylus and Roon at the same time with the same music database without having to switch between the two in the Euphony Select Audio System menu.

Before last night, I had to choose either to play by Stylus for the sound quality or Roon/StylusEP to use Roon's excellent music discovery interface. And I had to switch between the two using the "Select Audio System" menu.

Well it turns out you don't have to. 😄

Step 1:

I play Stylus from my all-in-one Pink Faun 2.16x streamer (PF). My music database is in this streamer. I select the upsampling function by "HQPlayer for Stylus".

Step 2:

I installed Roon in another server on my network which happened to be a spare SonicTransporter (ST) I had lying around and was repurposed into a Plex server for my movies. From here, I pointed to the same music library inside my PF.

This way I was planning to use Stylus for playback but have the Roon resource ready at a moments notice to research or find music.

Step 3:

With the recent version of Euphony, there is a new function which allows Roon to play higher than 192kHz files through Squeezelite using HQPlayer as the conduit. It's simply to opt to use HQPlayer in Roon and to use "euphony" in place of "localhost", then select to use Squeezebox devices in Roon's menu settings. Then selecting HQPlayer as the output device - which should be working as StylusEP via HQP.

This all works fine as expected but I found that HQP was upsampling my Roon playback despite Roon saying it wasn't supposed to with the upsampling settings the same as what I selected inside Stylus. This might be that I selected to use HQPlayer in Stylus inside the PF streamer or that my Roon installation was outside of Euphony.

Cheers, Kin

Unanswered questions:

- How does Roon/StylusEP/HQP upsampled sound compared to Stylus?

- Perhaps there is no need to upsample and Stylus/Roon will still work side by side? 

- Will the EtherRegen now finally sound good if it's placed between the SonicTransporter and my Pink Faun acting as an Euphony End Point?

Follow up on my unanswered questions:

- nope Stylus/HQP still sounds better than the Roon/StylusEP/HQP

- upsampling by HQP needs to be switched in for it to work

2 hours ago, flkin said:

Follow up on my unanswered questions:

- upsampling by HQP needs to be switched in for it to work

Hi Kin,

I think this only works because you are using the "real" HQPlayer for upsampling, as opposed to StylusEP's HQPlayer interface. Since I don't use HQPlayer, I can't verify this, but my likely explanation for this would be as follows.

• When you turn on HQPlayer upsampling, you activate an instance of HQPlayer on your PF2.16, which connects to the StylusEP player (aka gstp process).
  • This combo of HQPlayer > StylusEP is now discoverable as an HQPlayer instance on the network.
  • Locally, your path then becomes:
    • Stylus > HQPlayer > StylusEP
  • Over on your Roon Core, it "sees" an HQPlayer instance on the machine "euphony" on the network. That path becomes:
    • Roon Core > HQPlayer > StylusEP

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work with "fake" HQPlayer - i.e. StylusEP with HQPlayer interface. This only seems to work with one server instance at a time: either Stylus or Roon Core. Coincidentally, I had sent an email to Željko asking for this functionality just last week. Great (or perhaps greedy?!) minds think alike.

3 hours ago, flkin said:

- nope Stylus/HQP still sounds better than the Roon/StylusEP/HQP

Not surprising, since this is the benefit from caching and buffering that is implemented by the Stylus server.

On 2/20/2020 at 2:31 PM, mnuno10 said:

Hi,

I will make a fanless NUS to run Euphony Stylus with Tidal. I'm thinking of buy:

- NUC: NUC8i3BEH or NUC8i5BEH

- Disk: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250 GB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD

- Case: Akasa Turing

This seems good? Or do you have any other recommendation? What RAM(amount and model) do you recommend?

Thank you in advance.

1) use an optane disk for your OS boot drive, they boot fast, no nasties in audio signature during playback, 32gb is inexpensive

2) no local attached HD ,SSD, use a NAS. Better sound and no nasties

3) buy a good DC power supply, you don’t need 19V, 12v does fine. HDPLEX 200W is a good starting choice.

4) no recommendations on RAM other than use at least 8 gb to insure adequate RAM cache for player applications

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Has anyone purchased the Euphony Summus Server or been able to find any user reviews online?  

Also, curious if anyone has a rough guess on what a roughly comparable DIY server would be?

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

33 minutes ago, Blake said:

Has anyone purchased the Euphony Summus Server or been able to find any user reviews online?  

Also, curious if anyone has a rough guess on what a roughly comparable DIY server would be?

A good many people have build a Summus like server with a intel NUC7i7dn.. in an Akasa plato case.

An other possibility is a porcupine from simplyNUC, @bobfa has one.

Or if you are feeling adventurous AMD is coming with a fan less ryzen NUC that might be interesting.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

19 minutes ago, RickyV said:

A good many people have build a Summus like server with a intel NUC7i7dn.. in an Akasa plato case.

An other possibility is a porcupine from simplyNUC, @bobfa has one.

Or if you are feeling adventurous AMD is coming with a fan less ryzen NUC that might be interesting.

Thanks, I just checked out the porcoolpine.  So DIY would be around $1,000 for the NUC and then buying the Euphony software for a total DIY of around $1,300?

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | Revel subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

8 minutes ago, Blake said:

Thanks, I just checked out the porcoolpine.  So DIY would be around $1,000 for the NUC and then buying the Euphony software for a total DIY of around $1,300?

I just bought the NUC board, that is the 7i7DNBE version. Intel optane 32gb m.2 stick for the OS. And apacer ram 75.B93GJ.G010B from https://www.soselectronic.com/memory-modules?query=Apacer sodimm&category=3360&params=466%3ASODIMM|279%3ADDR4|181%3A2400&param_current=280

And buy the best power supply you can find. Can’t advise on that or the akasa case.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

4 hours ago, Blake said:

2 hours ago, Blake said:

I built a NUC into the akasa case and then the folks at simplyNUC started building their own fan-less case.  I think I would have purchased that instead.

My rough estimate is a bit higher.  including the Power Supply at say around $500 depending.  All in you are close to $2000.  I really did not keep track!  

The Summus server may have some more things up its sleeve that we do not know about as the Euphony release notes mention Summus Specific Features.

Bob

5 minutes ago, bobfa said:

I built a NUC into the akasa case and then the folks at simplyNUC started building their own fan-less case.  I think I would have purchased that instead.

My rough estimate is a bit higher.  including the Power Supply at say around $500 depending.  All in you are close to $2000.  I really did not keep track!  

The Summus server may have some more things up its sleeve that we do not know about as the Euphony release notes mention Summus Specific Features.

Bob

Thanks Bob, much appreciated. Good point, the Summus may have some additional tweaks/improvements.  I would probably just go with the Summus given the price delta between the Summus vs. DIY.

21 minutes ago, Blake said:

Thanks Bob, much appreciated. Good point, the Summus may have some additional tweaks/improvements.  I would probably just go with the Summus given the price delta between the Summus vs. DIY.

Unless Summus using a modified motherboard or having some special upgrades elsewhere, just from the cost point of view, DIY will be lower.  The $2,500 purchase price likely will only have the typical SMPS, to upgrade to LPS, the ~$500 will still need to be added.