IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

5 hours ago, Holzohr said:

@austinpop Hi Rajiv, did you already test Roon and StylusEP via the HQPlayer way? Wondering what you think about the sq. One issue I have is the low volume of StylusEP after each boot (or when I switch from RoonBridge to StylusEP). A restart of StylusEP does fix it though.

Mario

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55916-euphony-os-wstylus-player-setup-and-issues-thread/page/35/?tab=comments#comment-1020227

Hi Mario,

I don't use HQPlayer, as my DAC prefers native sample rates.

Gents, I mentioned this on the big thread but got a little lost in the noise.(electrical)

Pursuing better power works  but removing/ reducing awitching noise internally really suprised me with adding some IFIi Silencers.  It felt like more of a jump going from windows to Euphony/ fanless. Real detail and depth...quite suprising . Nice re-listening to my music again, 

Mine is a single NUC celeron with now 3 silencers, so I dont know how effective they would be on a well supplied ATX MB/ Paul Hynes / Uptone/ HDplex set up. Or how affective the other USB PCI filters are  but ther inverse filtering part of the i Silencer worked really well on my 5V NUC bus that had a marginal effect on my other transports. 

I am only pushing because as they have returns if you try a couple cheap and want others to benefit as much as my set up has.

2 maybe the magic number i bought the third the next day so yet to decide...

Good luck

Dave

3 hours ago, Middy said:

Gents, I mentioned this on the big thread but got a little lost in the noise.(electrical)

Pursuing better power works  but removing/ reducing awitching noise internally really suprised me with adding some IFIi Silencers.  It felt like more of a jump going from windows to Euphony/ fanless. Real detail and depth...quite suprising . Nice re-listening to my music again, 

Mine is a single NUC celeron with now 3 silencers, so I dont know how effective they would be on a well supplied ATX MB/ Paul Hynes / Uptone/ HDplex set up. Or how affective the other USB PCI filters are  but ther inverse filtering part of the i Silencer worked really well on my 5V NUC bus that had a marginal effect on my other transports. 

I am only pushing because as they have returns if you try a couple cheap and want others to benefit as much as my set up has.

2 maybe the magic number i bought the third the next day so yet to decide...

Good luck

Dave

I have only one Islencer on a USB port that is unused, close to my USB bridge. I have not added more isilencers. The effect is mild only.  I dislike putting the silencer directly in the path of the USB cable (for audio data)  to the DAC. It seems to mask or change the tone somewhat without true benefit.  I suppose adding more silencers to my other unused USB ports may help more. But I don't really want to buy more to try though I know I can return them (but need to pay shipping and possibly restocking fee) 

2 hours ago, Chopin75 said:

I have only one Islencer on a USB port that is unused, close to my USB bridge. I have not added more isilencers. The effect is mild only.  I dislike putting the silencer directly in the path of the USB cable (for audio data)  to the DAC. It seems to mask or change the tone somewhat without true benefit.  I suppose adding more silencers to my other unused USB ports may help more. But I don't really want to buy more to try though I know I can return them (but need to pay shipping and possibly restocking fee) 

Exactly the same observation and usage here. In my NUC, I plugged it at the back, at unused USB port next to the USB port I use to connect to my DAC. I tried to connect it to my DAC but it destroys musicality and Dynamics.

When Euphony OS is loaded in "Ramroot", it's called zram0.

I boot from USB but have 8GB of RAM in my NUC.

I notice that zram0 is in usb disk.

Is this correct?

Geoff

Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 5.22.30 pm.png

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

Same here, i tried my old one on the upstream cable and at best did little or nothing for the data sending reclock side of the Silencer. Its the 5v filter rebalance tech on the NUC 5v usb bus..

It was only I when removed it and placed it on an external drive and bought another from a suggestion of a poster. In an empty slot just to see if it did anything!... on a late night whim on Amazon..... 

NUC6CAYH using the back 2 slots near the PSU in.

I am cautious about posting when a suggestion means spending but i don't get the wow factor much.. it works for me, happy days and keep quiet...

I really wanted confirmation from single NUC users, that maybe aleady have one lying around and just Amazon another to trial... $49 isnt a 'Bartok' and pop it back in the post if you think Middy was talking rubbish out of his down stream port..😀 

I want someone to try but this wasn't a subtle change and other cheap IFI products have been. Greater than win10 to Euphony . 

My premise is the NUC internal DC to DC converter noise, larger ATX  PCs don't have and that better internal cabling/ Power supply helps them from What people here are saying. 

5v filtering isn't just the out going data +- / 5v gnd but in the NUCs case the whole motherboard well at least the bus i think..  

Euphony is running buffer and RAM root pre update trial. 

2 Uptone lps1s , ldvr dxp lt3045s, isolation transformer,  Qutest DAC, modded Sbooster ifi dc purifiers...

Only my headamp PSU to upgrade.

I don't get to add much benefit back to the community, i thought this is one time..

Good luck if you try...

Dave

Same here.

Euphony sign at top left spins and program hangs.

I have to change "My Music" to "YouTube" (I don't use Quboz/Tidal) to get things back on track.🤔

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

Hi,

I'm testing Euphony OS and I have some questions:

- It's possible to use Sotm 200 as renderer with Euphony? In my case the Euphony detects the Sotm 200 as upnp device but when I play a music appears multiple times  a message saying something like "Buffering...Waiting for music to be download" and music don't play. With my Roksan K3 dac connected directly to Euphony it works perfectly.

- There is another way to control Euphony, other than Euphony Stylus app or Roon? I don't have Roon and Euphony Stylus app is web based and it's a little slow;

I'm running Euphony in a Macbook Pro(2,2Ghz i7, 16Gb Ram) booted from a USB drive.

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, mnuno10 said:

It's possible to use Sotm 200 as renderer with Euphony? In my case the Euphony detects the Sotm 200 as upnp device but when I play a music appears multiple times  a message saying something like "Buffering...Waiting for music to be download" and music don't play.

Let me guess. That happens when you play music from Tidal (or Qobuz)? Between the songs? In this case the behaviour is "normal". I didn't like it either. I have tested the UPnP feature with JPLAY femto.

I fear without Roon or HQPlayer embedded you can use the SoTM 200 as UPnP-renderer only (not sure about this MPD-thing). With music from your hard disk/NAS the UPnP option makes more sense (imho). The Euphony app is pretty fast here. I have installed Euphony on a Optane stick.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

38 minutes ago, Holzohr said:

Let me guess. That happens when you play music from Tidal (or Qobuz)? Between the songs? In this case the behaviour is "normal". I didn't like it either. I have tested the UPnP feature with JPLAY femto.

I fear without Roon or HQPlayer embedded you can use the SoTM 200 as UPnP-renderer only (not sure about this MPD-thing). With music from your hard disk/NAS the UPnP option makes more sense (imho). The Euphony app is pretty fast here. I have installed Euphony on a Optane stick.

Yes, it happens while streaming from Tidal. But the main problem is that I'm unable to play any song through SoTM 200 even if I wait several minutes. It only appears multiple "Buffering" messages. Maybe I have to change MPD settings in the SoTM to minimize the problem, I don't know!

The problem with Euphony Stylus app speed maybe related to my old iPad mini. But I don't really like the user experience of the Euphony Stylus, for me it is way better search/select songs/albums/artists/favourites in apps like Lumin, Linn Kazzo or BubbleUPnP.

I see. It wasn't that bad here. Do you have any other UPnP renderer?

I use the Stylus player now and then only. For the daily use I prefer Roon.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

21 hours ago, Holzohr said:

I see. It wasn't that bad here. Do you have any other UPnP renderer?

I use the Stylus player now and then only. For the daily use I prefer Roon.

No, the SoTM is the only one that I have.

I tried with a really old HP PC and although the performance is not as good as my mac, It is better than streaming Tidal from Lumin app using OpenHome "Room" to SoTM 200.

I will do more tests but probably I will buy a NUC and run it directly to the Dac. For now it was to be an entry level one.

Will an entry level i3 NUC work well with Euphony? Do you have any recommendations on a NUC + SSD + RAM configuration(max 500€) that will run Euphony well?

Can I use Euphony license in multiple machines? I don't pretend to use at same time, but if in the future I upgrade my machine I will be able to use the same license?

I have a celeron NUC £120 that works fine but there is a hardware fingerprint that they have to change recorded on Euphony i believe to stop multiple machines. The current thinking on a nuc is caseless, high power, good power supply. Opinions change fast here and the big thread so apply common sense with a budget for you. Ram, ssd memory stick Euphony licence adds up....

Others should help with whats best.. x2 i Silencers worked for me on unused ports. But in general nuc euphony is the best sound i have had really happy for my low budget spending...

Good luck

Dave

5 hours ago, mnuno10 said:

No, the SoTM is the only one that I have.

I tried with a really old HP PC and although the performance is not as good as my mac, It is better than streaming Tidal from Lumin app using OpenHome "Room" to SoTM 200.

I will do more tests but probably I will buy a NUC and run it directly to the Dac. For now it was to be an entry level one.

Will an entry level i3 NUC work well with Euphony? Do you have any recommendations on a NUC + SSD + RAM configuration(max 500€) that will run Euphony well?

Can I use Euphony license in multiple machines? I don't pretend to use at same time, but if in the future I upgrade my machine I will be able to use the same license?

Euphony is machine specific license, if you upgrade machines you contact them with the new hardware key generated and they will transfer the license. You can use

any NUC hardware from Pentium to i7 with Euphony, assuming good power supply the faster processor will win out for SQ. Agree on the server UI for Euphony Stylus,

running Roonserver under Euphony is the better GUI. But you should compare Euphony as endpoint vs the SoTM SMS200, I started with SMS200, went to microRendu then to Euphony NUC as I improved my endpoint SQ.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

11 minutes ago, Chopin75 said:

Euphony uses some low tech fanless computer eg the zotac. Which are cheap and only low power CPU chip. Good budget but may.not be adequate for stronger processing power with huge music files. Or do upsampling etc. 

i'm not clear on your comment.  you don't have to buy hardware from euphony -- you can buy the software and use whatever hardware you want.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
3 hours ago, jcn3 said:

i'm not clear on your comment.  you don't have to buy hardware from euphony -- you can buy the software and use whatever hardware you want.

Sorry, u are correct. But u can check.out what hardware they use and get an idea what it get yourself. Yes, u can easily get the euphony SW and load onto a hard drive and put into any HW u want. 

I own a PTS server which I believe is the server you are referring to Chopin75. Yes sir, it is a new i3 chip and I have not run into a situation where I found it limiting. I do not believe the PTS server is an official Euphony hardware product. I believe it is something put together with Euphony OS installed on it to make it easier for someone to get started easily. If I understand correctly Euphony has plans to release an official product, one most likely to be more powerful.

I would just like to say that I am quite pleased with my low power PTS server. 

It seems the PTS server came with an Intel i3-6100U . Euphony's new SUMMUS is probably based on a NUC8I7BEH that comes with an Intel i7-8559U.

I plan to replace my endpoint NUC7CJYH by my current server device NUC7i7DNKE and to order a NUC8I7BEH as new Euphony server. I like to have low power devices on server and endpoint side. I also like my Windows PC but wouldn't want to let run it 24/7.

Btw, my new favorite way of playback: Roon -> StylusEP via adding its ip-address as "HQPlayer" also works when you run the Roon core somewhere else. In my case on the Windows machine. 

9 hours ago, aangen said:

I own a PTS server which I believe is the server you are referring to Chopin75. Yes sir, it is a new i3 chip and I have not run into a situation where I found it limiting. I do not believe the PTS server is an official Euphony hardware product. I believe it is something put together with Euphony OS installed on it to make it easier for someone to get started easily. If I understand correctly Euphony has plans to release an official product, one most likely to be more powerful.

I would just like to say that I am quite pleased with my low power PTS server. 

Are you referring to the Summus? I think you can order it now but details and impressions are scarce.

On 1/15/2020 at 12:25 PM, TheAttorney said:

Where is this option located? I can't find it anywhere, but I seem to have it set anyway because there is now no buffering when skipping to next track, and most of my queued items are marked blue. I say "most" because I currently have over 100 tracks in my play queue and only 4GB RAM, which is shown to be over 80% used (and marked red, implying a limit is being reached). Despite this low memory, Stylus keeps playing and adjusting what's marked Blue, so I imagine it's dynamically adjusting what's buffered when it gets to RAM limits.

EDIT: I've found it now, at the top of the queue. It displayes that 100 tracks are buffered, out of 117 currently in queue. But there is still a small bit of disc activity when skipping tracks.

One small enhancement (that I had requested), that's not listed in the change log, is that the current track playing is now always in display whenever you get back to the play queue. Previously, returning to the play queue always went to the start of the queue, so you then had to scroll down to find the track playing - significant when there's a long queue spread over several pages. This now works well.

Click on artist name opens artist's page on LastFM

I'm a bit confused about this one. I had asked for the ability to see all other albums by an artist when you are on the Now Playing screen of that artist (a roon-like feature). This has been implemented when you click on the artist name on the Now Playing page. In practice, this has been done by a filtered search, but you then have to go to library view to see that result. I'd rather you were taken directly to that result if that's possible.

Not sure how that relates to the above change log entry, or if that is a different feature that I haven't spotted yet.

II don't remember that the current track is now always in display, as like you I can have > 50 tracks on queue. I. just deleted the entire queue and now run only single album as I am testing the buffer queue mode. I am not sure if there is much sonic difference. I can only buffer limited tracks as I play DSD a lot and each album is like 9-11 GB!  Also realize I cannot click to a different track while in Buffer queue, like it would play but no sound is coming out. I then restart app and of course the queue is unbuffered.  Not sure if it is worth the fuss. 

12 hours ago, Dev said:

Looks like there is an update available today with version 20200124. Does anybody know the change log ?

- Clarified use of HQPlayer Ccontrol API by StylusEP both in Euphony app and in Signal path display in Roon client -

Fixed StylusEP playback of DSD files converted to PCM by Roon via HQPlayer Control API

- Fixed UI hangup when clicking albumartist in Album info dialog

- Fixed NAA endpoint device selection in HQPlayer settings

- Fixed initial volume when using StylusEP through HQPlayer Control API

- Fixed Artist view list display (sometimes, when songs without artist tag were found in library, nothing was displayed in the list)

- Fixed Summus playback mode when using StylusEP through HQPlayer Control API

- Fixed Summus playback mode indication when used as endpoint (refresh page if necessary to see current status of Summus playback mode)

Looks like a new bug has been introduced with this latest release:

"Now Playing" screen doesn't appear when I hit bottom left album icon - there's just a background displayed. This is on both Edge and Firefox browsers.