IGNORED

Official Qobuz Issues Thread

2 minutes ago, Tomskee said:

I am very interested in the hi-res versions of releases from jazz labels like Intakt, Songlines, and Sunnyside. When I select an album that indicates hi-res from one of those labels, the playback indicates 16-bit/44,1 kHz. I have made sure to select 24-bit/up to 192 kHz as my maximum listening quality.

It's a known issue, there are labels that have not licensed us for Hi-Res streaming, only download. The apps are picking these albums up as Hi-Res even though they only stream 16-bit. It is being fixed!

1 minute ago, luisma said:

Seems many albums are still showing in Qobuz but when trying to play Roon shows is not really available and skips until it stops, catalog and content is still been built correct?

That's correct there are several independent distributors that are still being ingested. It could take a couple months to get it where we want it. 

Thanks, they sent me the trial but I decided to pay the Sublime fee, since the catalog is not yet complete I cannot disconnect Tidal yet and will have to pay for both services, maybe I should contact support and ask them for maybe two months in trial and then jump into the subscription? I will give it a try, many of the tracks I have in Tidal are not in Qobuz yet.

Quality so far so good

4 hours ago, luisma said:

Amazing how same hardware reproducing, same album, same song same quality 44 16 bits flac sounds cleaner on qobuz than tidal, not trying to trash tidal here just stating the fact it sounds better on the other stream

With TIDAL you have to be careful you have not chosen an MQA file track to play if your TIDAL client software/hardware is configured to connect to TIDAL's online server at CD resolution/not requiring MQA. This is because TIDAL's online server supplies a 'doctored' version at 16/44.1kHz of the actual MQA track, rather than exchanging it for the true CD version.

Making sure you haven't done so if you are using a non-MQA supporting TIDAL client (and nothing else to help you) is nigh on impossible, given that its user interface cannot distingush between the MQA version of the album & the CD version - the effect being the appearance of 'duplicate' albums.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

18 hours ago, dmackta said:

Go here https://www.qobuz.com/account on the desktop and you’ll have access to download everything you’ve purchased. 

Thank you.  It was not coming up on this page most of yesterday.  Late last night it did.  I appreciate the response. 

Perhaps it will slow me down from my rage to purchase?  :) 

I am smitten with Qobuz.  The sound quality, choice, interface, recommendations, articles... wow.  I hope it is profitable in the US. 

On 2/3/2019 at 2:01 PM, Jud said:

I don't see it yet either, Sal.

I've got a thread to collect these, though pre-launch it's probably a little early.

What's funny is that it was there about a week back.  Before I could get my account problems finalized it allowed me to listen to the first 30 seconds of a track, etc. At that time I added it to my favorites list. Days later my account got finalized it's gone.  I click on the album in my favs and it gives a 404 error  LOL

Screenshot at 2019-02-06 13-51-09.png

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

On 1/2/2019 at 4:54 PM, left channel said:

The definition of viable may depend on the size of your playlists. Qobuz does offer offline listening for the Win and Mac apps, while matching Tidal offline listening on phones and tablets. YMMV with DAPs.

Yes, Qobuz offline tracks do download as part of the cache, but you may never need to think about that. In the desktop app just select "Import" in the context menu of an album, track, or playlist, and it will be added to your Offline Library.

I can imagine the cache filling up, but then all you'd need to do is go to the app's Music Playing settings to increase the cache size or clear it. Right now mine is set to the streaming "Comfort" preset of 30 GB, but it can be customized up to 100 GB. AFAIK there is no way to access these files without the app, which is as it should be; they are not purchased downloads.

So, is offline mode available only through Qobuz app?  Not through Roon?  

I'm only interested because I have heard that offline music cached provides better sound quality than directly streamed.

Have you found that to be the case?

And, I'm curious about how caching works?   When playing a track, or entire album, does it enter the cache?  So, for instance, if you started streaming a track for 20 seconds, and then restarted from the beginning, would it be playing from the cache or start over streaming again?

22 minutes ago, wwc said:

So, is offline mode available only through Qobuz app?  Not through Roon?  

I'm only interested because I have heard that offline music cached provides better sound quality than directly streamed.

And, I'm curious about how caching works?   When playing a track, or entire album, does it enter the cache?  So, for instance, if you started streaming a track for 20 seconds, and then restarted from the beginning, would it be playing from the cache or start over streaming again?

I have never used Roon, but I don't think so. I can tell you about the Qobuz app though. The Qobuz terminology can be confusing: what you described in your last paragraph is called "caching" or "buffering", but also stored in the cache directory are full tracks or albums you specifically select for "offline listening".

I believe the buffering is intended to play from cache if you restart, yes, if it works correctly that day, but to be clear "offline listening" is an entirely separate thing. For offline listening you select "Import" from the menu shown in the following image. "Import in..." allows you to select the sample rate so you can control data use and file sizes. Clear as mud now?

1384867391_contenxtmenu-import.jpg.35653380938b3d04980d5e3de3013569.jpg

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

Thanks.  It appears Importing for caching is not an option through Roon.  I'll ask them if they plan to integrate that feature.

Until, that day comes, I wonder if restarting an album after letting it buffer into the cache for a period of  time would be an alternative method to play music from the cache?  Do you have any idea how long it typically takes for an entire album to cache?

This is assuming that to go to this trouble that the sq is better from the cache!

31 minutes ago, wwc said:

Thanks.  It appears Importing for caching is not an option through Roon.  I'll ask them if they plan to integrate that feature.

Until, that day comes, I wonder if restarting an album after letting it buffer into the cache for a period of  time would be an alternative method to play music from the cache?  Do you have any idea how long it typically takes for an entire album to cache?

This is assuming that to go to this trouble that the sq is better from the cache!

If you want offline listening, import the entire thing in the Qobuz app as I described, or buy the download to have it in Roon. I doubt they'll be adding offline listening to Roon, though I'd love to be wrong.

Playing with the other thing — the buffered stream — is a great way to drive yourself crazy with Qobuz, Tidal, or any streaming. Sometimes it does exactly what you wrote above, but other times restarting or clicking around in them results in freezing or other unexpected behavior. The software is trying to buffer to deal with all the problems of uneven internet and LAN delivery, and it's not a good idea to go monkeying around with the stream yourself too.

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

18 minutes ago, left channel said:

Playing with the other thing — the buffered stream — is a great way to drive yourself crazy with Qobuz, Tidal, or any streaming. Sometimes it does exactly what you wrote above, but other times restarting or clicking around in them results in freezing or other unexpected behavior. The software is trying to buffer to deal with all the problems of uneven internet and LAN delivery, and it's not a good idea to go monkeying around with the stream yourself too.

This is so true! I tried to jump backwards in my queue and immediately received a "cache corrupted" message.

15 hours ago, wwc said:

Sound quality is the same from streaming & offline.

13 hours ago, phosphorein said:

This is so true! I tried to jump backwards in my queue and immediately received a "cache corrupted" message.

This issue is in progress for desktop app.

Qobuz Product Manager for Desktop, Web Player and Search Engine.

11 hours ago, rickca said:

@David Craff a couple of minor things that should be simple to do.

When you click on 'See all new releases' within a genre like Classical, Qobuz just adds one more row of albums.  You have to click it again to see all the new releases.  I don't understand why it's designed like this.

Also, when you click on 'See Digital Booklet' the type is nearly always too small and I have to click the plus sign at least once to enlarge it to something you can actually read. 

plus 1 from me for this one. I never understand why it does that and it's an irritation. Not a big thing but would be appreciated and it makes little sense as it is today. As you say it should be an easy fix. 

I just got into the Beta yesterday and it worked great with Roon.  I spend some time yesterday looking to replace Tidal albums with Qobuz.  Only learning curve was figuring out how to get ALL favorites selected in Qobuz app to appear in Roon Library.  I know they say that they are still in the process of getting rights in the US but I still have a few hundred Tidal albums that are not on Qobuz - I guess a switch will involve keeping both services active for an extended time.  It sounds great - but I thought CD quality on Tidal sounded great too.  Is there a date/target for the full release?  I don't want to lose the work I put into building Qobuz favorites during the beta.

BobH

23 minutes ago, bobh3501 said:

I just got into the Beta yesterday and it worked great with Roon.  I spend some time yesterday looking to replace Tidal albums with Qobuz.  Only learning curve was figuring out how to get ALL favorites selected in Qobuz app to appear in Roon Library.  I know they say that they are still in the process of getting rights in the US but I still have a few hundred Tidal albums that are not on Qobuz - I guess a switch will involve keeping both services active for an extended time.  It sounds great - but I thought CD quality on Tidal sounded great too.  Is there a date/target for the full release?  I don't want to lose the work I put into building Qobuz favorites during the beta.

‘Target date is Velentine’s day next week.

Tidal albums to Qobuz: use Soundiiz for four bucks

I have qobuz installed on my laptop, phone and associated in roon. Yesterday around 1pm I was listening to qobuz content through roon, stopped around 1:30 pm and closed the roon app. Went out and around 4 pm tried to qobuz in the car, laptop at home was off and no one was using roon, I started getting constantly a message like "qobuz is a personal app and you cannot play simultaneously in several devices" is this may be a bug or known condition? How many devices can you have associated and / or possibly playing at the same time.?