IGNORED

Official Qobuz Issues Thread

"See entire classical catalog" button needs to be fixed.  I expect it to show the entire classical catalog.  Instead, it takes me to a page describing new releases selected for me.

Also, I see that almost all downloads from Chandos and BIS are not available to purchase.  Is this going to change?

10 hours ago, Musicophile said:

MDG doesn’t stream on Qobuz France either. I think similar to Hyperion they have a general no streaming policy. 

That resolves that mystery.  Thanks!

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Funny,  Dion's  latest album from 2-2016, New York Is My Home,  isn't available?

Been listening to it for quite a while now on Spotify?

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Suddenly I can't add tracks to one of my playlists. It contains 997 at the moment--is there a limit to the number of tracks a playlist can contain? (I have a free trial to the US Beta version if that matters.)

B&W 803D3 speakers

McIntosh MA9000 integrated amp

Esoteric K-03 SACD player; Chord Qutest DAC

VPI Prime Signature turntable/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze cartridge

Sennheiser HD800s, Audyssey LCD-xC headphones

14 hours ago, Sal1950 said:

Funny,  Dion's  latest album from 2-2016, New York Is My Home,  isn't available?

Been listening to it for quite a while now on Spotify?

I don't see it yet either, Sal.

I've got a thread to collect these, though pre-launch it's probably a little early.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

43 minutes ago, David.. Qobuz, Hi-Res Music Evangelist said:

Hi everyone,

You’ll all find tracks and or labels being added as time passes. Some deals aren’t done, but this is, was the same for all streaming services. When I started w Tidal, we had 32 million cuts. Now they’re at 48.  If you expect everything to be here day one, you may be disappointed. 

We also have some tracks mislisted. These are being reviewed and corrected as well. 

All of these small hiccups are normal and expected. Good news: It only gets better from here. 

It would be nice to replace or retract the obviously upsampled HiRes albums in your catalog as well.😉

3 minutes ago, #Yoda# said:

It would be nice to replace or retract the obviously upsampled HiRes albums in your catalog as well.😉

Time is precious, so let the people at Qobuz know which these are if you haven’t already.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 minute ago, Jud said:

Time is precious, so let the people at Qobuz know which these are if you haven’t already.

I complained most of them in 2015 or 2016 at Qobuz with clear MusicScope charts, got a compensation in form of a free download of another album but most of this upsampled albums are still in their catalogue. It seems to be cheaper to compensate some observant customers than invest in a working quality control.

Just now, #Yoda# said:

I complained most of them in 2015 or 2016 at Qobuz with clear MusicScope charts, got a compensation in form of a free download of another album but most of this upsampled albums are still in their catalogue. It seems to be cheaper to compensate some observant customers than invest in a working quality control.

Since it's a new launch, it might be an opportune time to raise this again.

2 minutes ago, #Yoda# said:

Indeed, because when you download an album, it is quite easy to analyze the real quality with an appropriate tool. As a "Sublime +" subscriber you usually cannot check the received quality if it is upsampled.

Were you saying sample rate of downloads differed from what’s shown for streaming? Wondering if that might be due to rights issues for some.

44 minutes ago, Jud said:

Were you saying sample rate of downloads differed from what’s shown for streaming? Wondering if that might be due to rights issues for some.

I don't think so. Qobuz is only forwarding the files they get from the labels to their customers without any quality control, as we can see with the MQA CD issue.

I do not want to defame Qobuz, my intention is to indicate them to a better customer care, to meet the expectations and trust of their customers to get the "real" quality they've payed for. 

26 minutes ago, Peter Hyatt said:

I’ve purchased a dozen downloads thus far. 

Is musicscope difficuct to use?

i almost don’t want to ask but...

the genre of upsampled  wasn’t classical, was it!

No, it wasn't! Most, but not all upsampled albums are Classic Rock albums, reissued in HiRes between 2012 and 2016, primarily from the label Universal Music and their subsidiaries.

Today the problem of upsampled albums has been solved in general by publishing most new albums in minimum HiRes requirement 24/44.1 or /48 🤫

I am very interested in the hi-res versions of releases from jazz labels like Intakt, Songlines, and Sunnyside. When I select an album that indicates hi-res from one of those labels, the playback indicates 16-bit/44,1 kHz. I have made sure to select 24-bit/up to 192 kHz as my maximum listening quality.

A few examples:

Michael Blake - In The Grand Scheme Of Things (Songlines)

Yuhan Su - City Animals (Sunnyside)

Dave Gisler Trio - Rabbits On The Run (Intakt)

Dan Weiss - Starebaby (Pi)

Thanks!

5 hours ago, David Craff said:

We check the upsampling, upscaling and transcoding on all products delivered. The products are checked manually. If you have any product that you think are not correct, please provide me with the link.

Hi David,

thank you for your commitment and I wonder if there will be some consequences this time. 

Checking all new incoming files manually cannot be efficient, there are server based audio analyzing tools available who are doing a reliable preselection automatically and some competitors are using this tools successfully. I've download a lot of HiRes albums from Qobuz and as I already stated, it is not an issue with new albums. The problem is primarily the existing inventory of older files and zero response in the Qobuz catalog and customer information, based on proven and repeated customers complaints.

Not all of the following few examples of obvious upsampled albums are available in the US as HiRes files, hence I use the link for Qobuz Germany. If you need charts to proof my concerns, I can forward them to you as PM:

Eric Clapton - Slowhand;  24/192 https://www.qobuz.com/de-de/album/slowhand-eric-clapton/0060253780355

Nick Drake - Five Leave Left; 24/96 https://www.qobuz.com/de-de/album/five-leaves-left-nick-drake/0060253759948

Boris Blank - Electrified ; 24/88.2 https://www.qobuz.com/de-de/album/electrified-boris-blank/0060254711520

The Gaslight Anthem - Get Hurt ; 24/96 https://www.qobuz.com/de-de/album/get-hurt-the-gaslight-anthem/0060253792455

Originally there was one more: Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water ; 24/96 https://www.qobuz.com/de-de/album/bridge-over-troubled-water-simon-garfunkel/5099749521421, the only one that has been replaced by a version that shows some significant content beyond 22 kHz.

There are some more albums that are dubious but not clearly upsampled because many Pop/Rock reissues from albums originally recorded between 1980 and 2014 had been digitally recorded at best in 24/48 and for the HiRes or DSD version remastered to 24/96, 24/192 or DSD 64/128. Anyway, their significant content is only max. 24/48 in a higher resolution container. 

I'm looking forward to any progress in the Qobuz catalog this time. Even if it is a small note for the customers like HDtracks is doing it for their upsampled albums.