IGNORED

ISO Regen performance Improvement Cheap!

On 6/28/2018 at 3:53 PM, rah50 said:

FYI, for those not wanting to DIY cables, and those still believing in shielding, Ghent just announced: 

DC-GAC4 Gotham GAC-4/1 11301 UltraPro Star Quad DC(JSSG360) Cable

I’m going to give this new ghent cable a try, all the other DYI’s in this thread all seem above my head / above my capabilities to make myself. :) 

That’s probably a solid bet. If you planned on putting an lt3045 in-line you could probably have him make two shorter lengths with two bare ends (tinned or not). 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

32 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

Down in the office having a listen to my test album, Ahmad's Blues by Ahmad Jamal and blown away by the fruits of my creation after 24 hours of burn in. 1:30 minutes into the title track, there's a very long high note piano roll. It's always sounded like anything from a smeary trebly mess to okay. Now it sounds like an actual piano being played and one can easily distinguish each very fast key being struck. And this long time tinnitus sufferer can actually begin to tolerate the trumpet - don't get me wrong I listen mostly to jazz and think Davis, Hubbard etc are brilliant, but often it's an uncomfortable listen.

Another good example of what is gained as one evolves a system towards competency ... subjectively bad sound is a symptom of flaws in the playback chain; which can always be fixed. How one fixes it will always be a "depends" - and attenuation of problematic HF noise is usually an excellent move.

2 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Another good example of what is gained as one evolves a system towards competency ... subjectively bad sound is a symptom of flaws in the playback chain; which can always be fixed. How one fixes it will always be a "depends" - and attenuation of problematic HF noise is usually an excellent move.

Well put. And it’s surprising just how far some basic mid-fi kit like the mR 1.4 and DAC V1 can be pushed once one gets the bits and pieces leading up to them right. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

4 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Well put. And it’s surprising just how far some basic mid-fi kit like the mR 1.4 and DAC V1 can be pushed once one gets the bits and pieces leading up to them right. 

4 minutes ago, fas42 said:

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

I am SO glad I had Chris move this thread out of the UpTone sponsored area where someone had started it.  Much stumbling about and numerous bizarre and misguided notions.O.o Don’t know where to begin.  You’ll notice that John has steered clear too. :ph34r:

Sorry guys...

Even JSSG 360?

11 hours ago, Cornan said:

Thanks! I read this causion on the link @BigGuy posted, so I’ll guess it is better to use them in parallel only.

Worse yet, if one capacitor is slightly leaky, it will gradually transfer its voltage to the others, possibly exceeding their voltage rating in turn. And if one of them punches through its dielectric barrier, it can then damage others in a cascading fashion. This is why series capacitors are generally avoided in power circuits.

Micael

Why did you feel the need to put such misleading and incomplete information in such large type ?

The simple expedient of having something like a 10Kohm parallel resistor across each series capacitor should overcome that problem.

I am not surprised that Superdad and John S are distancing themselves from this thread.

How do you think we obtain higher supply voltage ratings when using Supercaps ?

(typically less than 2.7V per cell)

I am surprised too, at the lack of Moderator intervention and correction in DIY Audio these days too.

DIY Audio used to be to a far more reliable source of correct technical information.  

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

3 hours ago, mansr said:

And linear power supplies for the soldering irons. With extra capacitors added.

Why not. other than the added capacitors ?

For many years I used a nice little 48V Adcola soldering iron  with my dual rail Bench PSU. They were standard Telstra issue back then for use in Telephone Exchanges with 52V Battery banks .

The Bench PSU also gave the opportunity to reduce the voltage when in standby mode which helped to give longer tip life.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

Even JSSG 360?

I’d like to know the answer to this question too! After reading through this thread, I’m thinking I should order the new Ghent Gotham JSSG 360 DC cable (to replace my current Ghent Canare 4S6 JSSG DC cable), but after @Superdad comment, now I’m wondering if that would just be a waste of money? 

I also noticed that Ghent also has added a Silver StarQuad JSSG DC cable and I wonder if that may be a better option? 

I know many have said that they notice improvements using a silver DC cable vs. Copper ? 

Any thoughts from the thread on which would be potentially better?  The new Ghent Silver JSSG vs. the new Gotham JSSG 360 DC ? (Or if I should save my money and just continue using my current Canare 4S6 JSSG)? 

Also, would I gain much if any benefit putting a screw down 3V LT3045 in the middle of any of these?  (I’ve avoided trying the LT3045’s so far because I feel like adding any screw down connection within the DC chain may negate any benefits and I don’t know how to solder )?

Thanks! 

4 hours ago, sandyk said:

Micael

Why did you feel the need to put such misleading and incomplete information in such large type ?

The simple expedient of having something like a 10Kohm parallel resistor across each series capacitor should overcome that problem.

I am not surprised that Superdad and John S are distancing themselves from this thread.

How do you think we obtain higher supply voltage ratings when using Supercaps ?

(typically less than 2.7V per cell)

I am surprised too, at the lack of Moderator intervention and correction in DIY Audio these days too.

DIY Audio used to be to a far more reliable source of correct technical information.  

Alex

Alex

I did’nt feel the need to make that quote big. It just turned out big when I quoted it from the link. All that quote ment was to show what made me want to stop persue series capacitors in my setup. My fuck-it-moment! 

All I know is that parallel Kemets makes wonder for SQ in the DC cable path at each side of the cable. That is what counts in the end. All of this is about experimentations, finding clues and having fun. If someone who knows all the facts choose to either booby trap or avoid helping out it is up them.

I will however continue to post any further progress on my own thread ”The true experimental tweak thread” to keep it fun.

Micael 

🎛️  Audio System  

10 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

... To tin or not to tin won't make that much of a difference on a dc supply I wouldn't think. 

Yeah, I "wouldn't" think so too. A bad (loose) connection will introduce resistance and thus lower (DC) voltage or worse, short your DC supply. If you think "that won't make that much of a difference" then by all means go ahead and tin the wires before inserting them in screw connectors. The connections will come loose, guaranteed. One here (@bit01) complained about loose screw connections. Although this individual didn't bother to respond to my query, I'm pretty sure he/she tinned the wires. Anyway, I'm done with this. Too much trolling.  

Many years ago I purchased my first speaker cables. Before that I had no idea cable would make a difference in SQ. So, I carefully cut my first dedicated cable (it was multi-braid type from Mission) into two required pieces, tinned the ends and connected speakers to amp. Well, the sound was not good. Do not remember what was particularly wrong, but it was not good. My friend came the same day and I told him about the issue – my new quality audio cable sound worse than cheap electric cable I used before. He removed cable, cut the tinned ends, and inserted back. The SQ was better beyond comparison. It was my first introduction to "tin or not to tin" dilemma.

1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

Many years ago I purchased my first speaker cables. Before that I had no idea cable would make a difference in SQ. So, I carefully cut my first dedicated cable (it was multi-braid type from Mission) into two required pieces, tinned the ends and connected speakers to amp. Well, the sound was not good. Do not remember what was particularly wrong, but it was not good. My friend came the same day and I told him about the issue – my new quality audio cable sound worse than cheap electric cable I used before. He removed cable, cut the tinned ends, and inserted back. The SQ was better beyond comparison. It was my first introduction to "tin or not to tin" dilemma.

And a more subtle loss of SQ, like this, is exactly why I hardwire everything - personally, I can't stand the sound of more expensive gear that hasn't been sorted out in this area; the edgy, unsavoury degradation of SQ that results is something I couldn't live with, I would have to get rid of the rig if I couldn't correct the situation.

4 hours ago, Abtr said:

Yeah, I "wouldn't" think so too. A bad (loose) connection will introduce resistance and thus lower (DC) voltage or worse, short your DC supply. If you think "that won't make that much of a difference" then by all means go ahead and tin the wires before inserting them in screw connectors. The connections will come loose, guaranteed. One here (@bit01) complained about loose screw connections. Although this individual didn't bother to respond to my query, I'm pretty sure he/she tinned the wires. Anyway, I'm done with this. Too much trolling.  

I’m sure you are correct. My point is we don’t need to take this so seriously. Thanks for proving my point.

Listening to my new LPs-1 to mR “cable” creation last night finally on the main system, and it just didn’t sound right. Closed down and missing high end sparkle. All the sounds were there, just not the dynamics I was used to. Lo and behold, it turns out I had upsampling in Roon ticked. Only by a power of 2, but that was enough to kill the music. I had DSP enabled as it did make a difference before this latest cable attenuating high end glare, etc. Now with the new cable it doesn’t need that. Straight through 16/44 sounds best. Similar to what I’ve experienced comparing 16/44 with MQA. 

Very nice Paul. In the end I wish I had just soldered the caps to the board like you did. The halfway up the leg thing was really difficult, and I'm just not sure about those tiny splines in the screw downs vs the whole wire. I guess the proof is in the listening. Did you add the heatsinks so that you could heat shrink it?

1 minute ago, Abtr said:

Why shouldn't we take this seriously? Can't you read?

Because it's a hobby, and no one is being torn away from their families and locked up in cages. Also, like I said before, if we were discussing ac cabling and supply that would be a different matter regarding safety. Certainly any advice is great to have and taken on board by all who come here, so thank you for that. Just chill on the tone and trolling accusations - it's not helpful or needed. 

4 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

Very nice Paul. In the end I wish I had just soldered the caps to the board like you did. The halfway up the leg thing was really difficult, and I'm just not sure about those tiny splines in the screw downs vs the whole wire. I guess the proof is in the listening. Did you add the heatsinks so that you could heat shrink it?

thanks you, I had the heatsinks for some time in a box. I just added them to help keeping the chip cold !