IGNORED

ISO Regen performance Improvement Cheap!

11 minutes ago, Cornan said:

I does’nt work like that with capacitors in series. The total circuit capacitance of any number of capacitors connected together in series will always be less than the value of the smallest capacitor in the series. Using for example three capacitors is series will effectively isolate the capacitor in the middle. ?

But these ones are not in series.

5 minutes ago, Cornan said:

I does’nt work like that with capacitors in series. The total circuit capacitance of any number of capacitors connected together in series will always be less than the value of the smallest capacitor in the series.

Then I am missing something...

If the leads of one Kemet are connected to V+ and V- at the target end of the wires connecting the regulator to the barrel connector AND the equivalent leads of the second Kemet are also connected to the V+ and V- at the other ends of the wires, is that not parallel?

Is this not how the Kemets are wired...

https://www.coilgun.info/theorycapacitors/capacitors2.htm

2 minutes ago, BigGuy said:

Then I am missing something...

If the leads of one Kemet are connected to V+ and V- at the target end of the wires connecting the regulator to the barrel connector AND the equivalent leads of the second Kemet are also connected to the V+ and V- at the other ends of the wires, is that not parallel?

Is this not how the Kemets are wired...

https://www.coilgun.info/theorycapacitors/capacitors2.htm

Sorry, my misstake....but I wonder if they are not both?

🎛️  Audio System  

9 hours ago, sandyk said:

Any animals in the house ?

It is also likely to work a little better again with the Kemets either end moved to inside the devices, especially the output end.

Only a fourteen year old 110 lb lab mix. He’s never shown any interest in the hifi for some reason. ;) 

Keep in mind this is low voltage dc. If it was ac I would be worried about safety too. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

6 minutes ago, mansr said:

In series how? And for what purpose?

Is it not possible you mean? Series should mean additional of 4 Kemets (2 on each side) soldered to the parallel legs of my current inline Kemets. Reason= isolation.

🎛️  Audio System  

4 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Is it not possible you mean? Series should mean additional of 4 Kemets (2 on each side) soldered to the parallel legs of my current inline Kemets. Reason= isolation.

Two equal capacitors in series are equivalent to a single capacitor with half the capacitance, twice the voltage rating, and twice the ESR.

Just now, mansr said:

Two equal capacitors in series are equivalent to a single capacitor with half the capacitance, twice the voltage rating, and twice the ESR.

Thanks! I read this causion on the link @BigGuy posted, so I’ll guess it is better to use them in parallel only.

Worse yet, if one capacitor is slightly leaky, it will gradually transfer its voltage to the others, possibly exceeding their voltage rating in turn. And if one of them punches through its dielectric barrier, it can then damage others in a cascading fashion. This is why series capacitors are generally avoided in power circuits.

🎛️  Audio System  

I found these 2 articles on PS filtering but discussion bit (OK, a lot) over my head...

http://www.skillbank.co.uk/psu/smoothing.htm

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/21686/whats-the-purpose-of-two-capacitors-in-parallel

Looks a bit more complicated than just putting in a cap but maybe there is a value that covers a multitude of applications given that we are generally dealing with low V and A?!

14 hours ago, sandyk said:

If you will be often removing and reinserting the lead(s) with prototype equipment, then lightly tin the leads after twisting them tightly before reinsertion

Why do you insist on tinning the leads? Are you trolling? People should *never* apply solder in any way to the leads when using screw connectors. As I said multiple times by now, tinned wire strands will give way to the pressure of the screw and become loose. I know this from personal experience. Prototype equipment or not, tinning wire when using screw connectors is *asking for a problem*. Just don't do it, regardless what @sandyk says.

I hoped to get this little idea together today, but I realized that I most likely have run out of DC2.1/5.5mm male screw terminal plugs! ?

61ECD56C-7E4C-4A61-9919-38BBE5E9F3E7.thumb.png.1f24ca4c14f43cab22c7272cf01d20ba.png

This drawn by hand on Bamboo paper (on iPad mini) so do not mind the art! ? 

It is two Kemet’s in parallel with their legs soldered together and inserted into a DC socket on one side (F=female) and DC plug in the other side (M=male). I think this would could be quite interesting since I can try it on any DC cable. First I have to order more DC plugs though. 

🎛️  Audio System  

Well, that’s why I’m thinking of what I’ve created as more of a hard connecter than a cable. DC Frankenconnect. And if I had to do it over again I would use 14awg instead of 12, and maybe even stranded vs solid. Haven’t had a chance to listen this morning after running in all night - too much World Cup action going on this morning. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

Back to the cable and several caps laid out in a series along it, but which are electrically in parallel...

You mentioned it was hard to build:

I think a jig could be made to hold everything in position and make soldering easy.  That jig could then be give (or sold if you're into markets) to the next guy.

Or those interested could perhaps get a specialty pcb run made ... the traces could take the place of most of  the wire, and the caps could just drop in.

4 hours ago, Abtr said:

Why do you insist on tinning the leads? Are you trolling? People should *never* apply solder in any way to the leads when using screw connectors. As I said multiple times by now, tinned wire strands will give way to the pressure of the screw and become loose. I know this from personal experience. Prototype equipment or not, tinning wire when using screw connectors is *asking for a problem*. Just don't do it, regardless what @sandyk says.

In case you didn't notice, I was VERY specific with my wording. As a poster in the other forum thread also reported , a single loose strand due to repeated disconnections and reinsertions can severely damage a working project.

There are also times when you may need to also insert a much thinner wire into the same supply rail terminal , such as when fitting a front panel LED. It is damn hard to fit this in without tinning the much thinner wire first.

I did NOT recommend doing this procedure for a project that didn't need to have the PCB removed numerous times

for various modifications.

It's your choice with a Work in Progress. A screw that needs to be retightened occasionally, or a severely damaged PCB that may need to be replaced !!!   Like the poster in the other forum, I have had this happen to me too.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 minute ago, Superdad said:

I am SO glad I had Chris move this thread out of the UpTone sponsored area where someone had started it.  Much stumbling about and numerous bizarre and misguided notions.O.o Don’t know where to begin.  You’ll notice that John has steered clear too. :ph34r:

Sorry guys...

It is entertaining, if nothing else.

6 hours ago, Abtr said:

tinned wire strands will give way to the pressure of the screw and become loose

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

A screw that needs to be retightened occasionally, or a severely damaged PCB that may need to be replaced

Soft metals (Cu, Sn, Pb, &c.) will 'creep' under pressure, like screw. Maybe little, maybe more, both copper & solder. So not really about one metal or other. Good procedure can mitigate problem. First tighten screw tight, but not to tight (must balance effective connection & stress/failure). Put in operation for some time, weeks maybe. Then retighten screws & take up slack for any creep (if any felt). Rare to progress further unless maybe bad conditions, heat, vibration. Also rare, but possible, for untreated connection metal creep cause disconnects, shorts, other serious problems.

Also, not worth off topic argument!

Better to eliminate more connections (less is more) unless just for temporary troubleshoot or experiment uses. Think of every discontinuity in circuit metal path.

From transistor silicon to whisker,

to lead wire,

to solder in thru-hole,

to trace copper,

to solder in thru-hole,

to Cu wire,

to solder connection,

to nickel plating,

to brass pin,

to gold plating,

touching gold plating,

to brass pin,

to solder connection,

to copper wire,

to solder,

to d, e, f, g, &c. 

and so-on.

Look at personal audio system gear and cables. Start from home AC box, on to speakers. Think about all connections inside component boxes & cables & connectors. Take some apart to see parts. Try understand audio circuit in some reality & detail.

Maybe learn little wonder & humility along with complex circuit path ?