IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 minute ago, botrytis said:

Directed listening, no double blind. Sorry, but your assertion means squat.

In that case, doesn't that mean that all sighted listening is "squat."

1 minute ago, botrytis said:

I have done a blind listening at a dealer and I can say mQa sounds worse. Period.

And I wrote earlier in this thread that I organized a blind test of MQA that gave the opposite result, only to have other posters on this forum say that a single test doesn't mean anything. I assume they will point that out to you also.

John Atkinson

Technical Editor, Stereophile

1 hour ago, KeenObserver said:

Is Stereophile that desperate for clicks?

Yes, and thats nothing new based on the apparent fire sale that occurred, TEN dumped it to AVTech Media and I'd always thought at that time one of the reasons JA et al. were so adamantly promoting MQA was due to it's controversial aspect, which would drive clicks that might in turn prop up the sale value of the magazine.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

1 hour ago, KeenObserver said:

And the new thing is symphony halls will have an MQA sound isolation system installed in front of the orchestra. The music will be processed through a real time MQA encoding system and then played to the hall. This will ensure that the music is played as the composer intended.

I reacted as laughing because there was no emoji like this.....

Vomit Emoticon HD Stock Images | Shutterstock

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

17 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

For future use:

563888716_ScreenShot2021-08-22at4_04_42PM.png.954ea5387fcab65ca9e19591af7fe5d9.png

I need a hotkey for it, rather than searching when they mention mQa.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

On 8/21/2021 at 12:52 PM, Archimago said:

Thanks John for the response. I've certainly seen the other link over the years.

I bet at this point you must be a bit tired about the "birth of a new world" quote (as I said in my original post, the whole "paradigm shift" thing refers to Harley). Alas, this quote from the first sentence of the article does make for quite an impressionable "sound bite". I appreciate that time has passed and it's possible that you've modified your position since then.

So just to be really clear about your stance in 2021 so those of us discussing MQA today do not misrepresent how you currently feel, perhaps you can just respond with YES/NO/MAYBE to these questions... I trust this should not be too difficult and take only a few minutes out of your day. More nuanced responses of course would be appreciated given your experience (especially for "MAYBE" answers).

1. Do you still think in 2021 (seeing that streaming audio has expanded to include lossless Qobuz, Apple, Amazon, upcoming Spotify) that the MQA codec (generally limited to Tidal, with some MQA-CDs out there) is "the future of streaming" that audiophiles should pay special attention to?

2. You mentioned in the article that the 1982 visit to Acoustic Research allowed you to hear DSP correction of "room acoustic problems", right before being blown away by MQA (thus implying some connection). Do you believe MQA has DSP technology that improves room acoustics?

3. After seeing what is known about MQA now, are you still thinking "WTF", and just as impressed by what was revealed to you that day on a technical level?

4. In your "Correcting the Source" section, you said, and quoted Meridian:

Meridian describes this as "taking an original master further, toward the original performance, in an analogous way to the processes expert antique picture restorers use to clean the grime and discolored varnish from an Old Master to reveal the original color and vibrancy of the work."

Do you think that this is true? That the technology has the ability to take a hi-res "original master" and move it towards this concept of an "original performance"?

5. With hindsight then, would you still say that the "launch of Meridian's MQA is as important to the quality of sound recording and playback as digital was 40 years ago"?

As a respected member of the audiophile press, writing for decades, exploring the technical performance of all kinds of devices over your lifetime career, I think many of us would appreciate your candid assessment of MQA in light of what clearly was extremely positive testimony laid out in 2014. As far as I can tell, I don't believe you have since said anything to question those impressions in that article.

Thank you for your consideration to have hopefully an open discussion and clear up any confusion/misconceptions.

Paging @John_Atkinson.

Since you're around here, mind answering a few basic questions on your stance on MQA these days and make sure there are no misunderstandings? Looks like there are a number of longtime readers here...

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Looking at the original rollout of MQA. it looks like it was intended to be an overwhelming media blitz designed to create an instant and overwhelming demand for the product. Unfortunately for MQA, people looked behind the curtain.

For this media blitz to happen, it would appear that there was coordination amongst all the parties involved.

The benefit to MQA is obvious.

The benefit to the studios is clear.

What was the benefit to the pundits that swooned over MQA?

Were promises made to them?

Was it a sense of power, that THEY had the power to dictate the future of music distribution?

This sudden coordinated rollout of MQA was not a coincidence. It was too well planned, with all the talking heads and influencers already having all the talking points in hand.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook