IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

14 hours ago, JoeWhip said:
15 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

They claim that it is because why waste their time but it is more likely because that manufacturer will no longer send in stuff to review or buy ads.

I do not know who "they" are but it ain't me.  - Kal Rubinson

Agreed Kal but I have heard this from JA and Steve Gutenberg just to name two.

If by "JA" you mean me, I have never said or written that Stereophile doesn't publish negative reviews "because manufacturers will no longer send in stuff to review or buy ads." Please don't put words in my mouth. See my comments on the relationship between the magazine and advertisers at https://www.stereophile.com/content/500-issues

John Atkinson

Technical Editor, Stereophile

John, with all due respect, did you read what I wrote? I commented on why you said your magazine did not publish negative reviews, in short it is because there are so many products out that that are good and you didn’t want to waste time with the bad stuff. It was my supposition that the real reason was because of blowback from the manufacturer. I did not say you said that so I did not put those words in your mouth, I said that it is more likely because…… Please read what I wrote.

1 hour ago, JoeWhip said:

John, with all due respect, did you read what I wrote? I commented on why you said your magazine did not publish negative reviews, in short it is because there are so many products out that that are good and you didn’t want to waste time with the bad stuff. I

Yes, I did read what you wrote, JoeWhip. This statement is not what you originally wrote in the messages to which I was responding..

You first said that "This is the natural end result of the mindset to never publish negative reviews. They claim that it is because why waste their time but it is more likely because that manufacturer will no longer send in stuff to review or buy ads."

You then said in response to Kal Rubinson that you "have heard this from JA . . ."

I was pointing out that you did not "hear this from JA" and that this was a misstatement on your part.

John Atkinson

Technical Editor, Stereophile

2 minutes ago, JoeWhip said:

So you have never said that you did not want to publish negative reviews because it was a waste of time and would rather stick with equipment that were worthy of positive reviews?

I can attest to the contrary.  While JA was editor, he consistently encouraged negative commentary, when deserved.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

11 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I can attest to the contrary.  While JA was editor, he consistently encouraged negative commentary, when deserved.

Ok, i guess I was wrong about JA as I will take your word for it Kal as to the negative review policy in Stereophile. I apologize for being mistaken about that at least as far as JA is concerned.

7 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

Now that the truth about MQA has been exposed, it seems that the emphasis has gone from "It's good for the music consumer" to "It's good for the studios, screw the music consumer".

While the emphasis may have changed, "It's good for the studios, screw the music consumer", has always been the prime justification for MQA. That's why a number of equipment manufacturers have refused to include MQA capability in their products, while others have done so reluctantly for marketing considerations only.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

58 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Could the same be said for recent remixes of classic (not classical) recordings?  When DVD-A and multichannel SACD were at their peak, you could usually find a stereo mixdown of the multichannel content for those who wanted the original stereo, but with the added benefit of the new capture pass that was made of the session masters.

But in spite of all that effort, those stereo mixdowns always sounded so different from the original stereo masters that they were like completely new songs.  Very much like when a band can't get a good streaming deal on their original recordings and go into the studio to re-record the songs and pass them off on streaming services as those original recordings.  Def Leppard infamously did just that to just horrendous results.

So yes, let's keep the original, unadulterated recordings.  And please CLEARLY differentiate remixes of original session masters for the purposes of an "audiophile" release.  In my opinion, those recordings should have the word "remixed" put directly in the title, not a footnote as HDTracks often does.

For sure some will disagree with this decidedly intolerant take.

I agree wholeheartedly! I was looking for a streaming version of Dobie Gray's Drift Away. The first version I clicked on brought my wife running (or some semblance of, we're old) into the room "What the hell is that!!", I couldn't stand it for more than 30 seconds.  Interestingly the re-release that sounds closest to the original is the ATMOS version even though I don't have ATMOS, needless to say the original is still the "right" one.   Unfortunately it isn't limited to just Dobie and Def Leppard.

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

This is interesting. I wish the xxxxxs I put in the following quote were place holders for mQa. It would be a refreshing statement from JA2. Alas, they aren’t. 

“it would be a travesty if the xxxxx version were the only version of this classic track easily available. That, to me, is the key point about xxxxxx and xxxxxxx: It's cool as far as it goes, but the original version must stay in circulation, in pristine form.”

https://www.stereophile.com/content/respect-music-apple-dolby-atmos

Priceless thanks

12 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

And please CLEARLY differentiate remixes of original session masters for the purposes of an "audiophile" release.  In my opinion, those recordings should have the word "remixed" put directly in the title, not a footnote as HDTracks often does.

For sure some will disagree with this decidedly intolerant take.

Completely on beam - completely reasonable - and not intolerant at all.

I'd go further. To fail to declare a modification to [perversion of] the original recording/master (and its nature) should be a criminal offence. Who needs to be misled like that. In the UK we have statutes that prohibit misdescription. (Their purpose mainly to contest the guileful kind, of course).

19 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Interesting. New TAS email and look how the Luxman CD player is described. When one has very limited space and the mQa part of a product is actually troubling, I guess it’s best to make sure mQa is mentioned in that premium space. 

5DA6D071-1987-4978-9F72-E8C662A21EDB.png

I can actually understand why they'd include it. It's an unusal feature that makes it noteworthy. Especially if you are marketing a "multi-format" player.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

39 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Interesting. New TAS email and look how the Luxman CD player is described. When one has very limited space and the mQa part of a product is actually troubling, I guess it’s best to make sure mQa is mentioned in that premium space. 

This is one of those "eye of the beholder" things, Chris. Paul Seydor devoted 2400 words to his less-than-enthusiastic assessment of MQA SQ. It's a central subject of the review and it's appropriate to note that it is. To me, the capsule highlights an aspect of the product that the reviewer found "troubling". To you, it's just part of an etched-in-stone narrative that TAS is invariably supportive of MQA. Which we are not. 

Andy Quint

5DA6D071-1987-4978-9F72-E8C662A21EDB.png