IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

On 1/7/2020 at 6:00 AM, daverich4 said:

I’m not sure what’s uncivil about, after you said you weren’t aware of Mr. Quints background/qualifications, suggesting you ask him directly. I have no idea why you’re friends or even if you are. 

Daverich4, your comment was uncivil because Andy Quint’s lack of qualifications have been discussed enough that suggesting I ask him and I’m unaware of them is an unethical debate technique, repetition. I didn’t used to care about this too much until I started teaching continuing legal education (tax) In addition to continuing professional education (CPA’s). Teaching lawyers requires knowledge of debate tactics.

Andy is a friend because he is the only member of the audio press with the courage to meet me and face to face say I disagree with you. We disagree with a lot of things in high end audio. And I’m fine with that.

I took your comment as not realizing my list went from humorous (John Atkinson) to in Andy’s case rhetorical. I know the qualifications of the people on my list except for Robert Harley’s degree. As I’ve said many times consider my posts to be tests unless you are sure they are not. 

So, let’s look at the bio of David A. Rich PhD (even if you aren’t him) and ask a few questions I don’t know the answer to.  The bio says he is a member of AES High-Resolution Technical Committee. So, it is fair to ask:

Does he know the circumstances necessary in a listening room to even have the possibility to detect the difference between a high-resolution record and a CD quality recording?

Does he know the amount of ultrasonic musical energy present at a typical listening position?

Does know whether ultrasonic energy at the listening position is a good thing or a bad thing?

Finally, on January 7, 2020 HiFi+ posted “The Truth About High-Resolution Audio.” The author concluded “slightly increased smoothness of a 24 bit 96kHz recording in the middle ranges is worth having.” I disagree and cite the research behind MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing). I wonder if David understands why.

13 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

Daverich4, your comment was uncivil because Andy Quint’s lack of qualifications have been discussed enough that suggesting I ask him and I’m unaware of them is an unethical debate technique, repetition. I didn’t used to care about this too much until I started teaching continuing legal education (tax) In addition to continuing professional education (CPA’s). Teaching lawyers requires knowledge of debate tactics.

Andy is a friend because he is the only member of the audio press with the courage to meet me and face to face say I disagree with you. We disagree with a lot of things in high end audio. And I’m fine with that.

I took your comment as not realizing my list went from humorous (John Atkinson) to in Andy’s case rhetorical. I know the qualifications of the people on my list except for Robert Harley’s degree. As I’ve said many times consider my posts to be tests unless you are sure they are not. 

Even at this late date, I'm not certain what to make of Rt66indierock—he is such a puzzling mash-up of contradictory impulses. His style of expressing himself is elliptical and sometimes demonstrates less than a complete mastery of the English language. As Chris has pointed out, he can be awfully grandiose and, even though he's hanging with a crowd that angrily calls for deep-sixing the Old Guard, he never misses a chance to name an "industry insider" he's chatted up for ten minutes at an audio show.

I was this close to posting an earnest defense of my qualifications as an audio writer—or defending others he named a couple of days ago—before reflecting on how ridiculous this would have looked. At least as ridiculous as implying that John Atkinson's credentials are suspect because he doesn't get his hair cut often enough (very few of us in this line of work are what you'd call fashion forward) or that Robert Harley's status is diminished because Rt66indierock can't identify his undergraduate alma mater (shades of birtherism) or that Steven Stone can't possibly be a serious audio writer because he's also a professional photographer (Archimago is certainly held in high regard here, even if it's not exactly clear what he does for a living.)

Slyly, Rt66ndierock tells us that his comment about JA was "humorous" and his calling my own abilities into question was "rhetorical." I've concluded that RT66indierock says some of the things he says to fulfill his intended role as a "disruptor." He actually reads my reviews and raises valid points about them and I never feel disrespected, even by the bovine references. We may or may not be "friends" but I've interacted enough with Rt66indierock in person and by private electronic means to know that he doesn't take a reductionist view as to who I am as an audiophile, that there's plenty more in audio than just MQA that we see differently and yet we're still on the same team—a characterization that a few other posters on this thread would hostilely dismiss.

I view this sort of connection with someone I don't really know that well, yet shares a passion for something that's so important to me, as the most meaningful sort of civility. I'll gladly buy Stephen a beer—I don't actually call him "Rt66indierock" when we're in the same room—the next time we cross paths. Some of you other guys….I'll just wait for the next elevator to come.

3 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Robert Harley's status is diminished because of the book he wrote.

While I was in college I read his book and learned quite a bit. Sure there is some questionable stuff in there, but I don't like to throw the baby out with the bathwater. 

Later I also read Ken Pohlmann's Principles of Digital Audio, which had more and I believe better information with respect to its subject matter. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

8 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

While I was in college I read his book and learned quite a bit. Sure there is some questionable stuff in there, but I don't like to throw the baby out with the bathwater. 

How do you separate the two without a reference baby to compare with? In other words, such a book is useless unless you already know the truthful parts.

There is a thread on here that debunks about a dozen of the claims in Harley's book - there are numerous other mistaken claims.

I saw Gwenyth Paltrow on a late night talk show yesterday.  She is on a journey that's enjoyable to her and likewise wastes people's money.

MQA is putting people on a journey that's enjoyable to them and the costs will be paid in the future.

- not a good std. for audio or other things IMO; honesty would be a better std., not to menton better SQ, or same SQ and nice ergonomics, convenience, esthetics

7 minutes ago, lucretius said:

I'd like to know who's buying her "This Smells Like My Vagina" candle that retails for $75.

The last that I heard, they were sold out ,according to a report in Yahoo News.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020