IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

21 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Lots of fire leveled at MQA, but what about the real shills selling it?   Perhaps the reasons have to do with some folks secretly (or not so secretly) listening to MQA on Tidal? (grin)

Okay okay, I know, low blow. But the actual question is, why is there not more pressure on Tidal to stop supporting the product that is supposedly so universally hated? 

714350011_ScreenShot2019-03-11at9_55_10AM.thumb.png.b192576acba6fb2645e9d91295055efe.png

Why do "we" need to apply more pressure on TIDAL? They are a mess of company that can't pay its bills. And as I've said before they don't have enough subscribers to the entire Hi-Fi tier to worry about.

24 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

I don't think Tidal can be challenged for selling what it wants. Free world and all that etc.

What i would disagree with is the "..MQA to deliver something infinitely better", and "...highest possible resolution...."

Neither can it ever be infinitely better (at best 48dB better), nor highest possible resolution - there are 32bit DAC's available - not sure if there are 32bit recordings available.

Regards,

Shadders.

You challenge MQA for selling "what it wants", but will not challenge Tidal for selling MQA?  

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

38 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Lots of fire leveled at MQA, but what about the real shills selling it?   Perhaps the reasons have to do with some folks secretly (or not so secretly) listening to MQA on Tidal? (grin)

Okay okay, I know, low blow. But the actual question is, why is there not more pressure on Tidal to stop supporting the product that is supposedly so universally hated? 

714350011_ScreenShot2019-03-11at9_55_10AM.thumb.png.b192576acba6fb2645e9d91295055efe.png

I don’t think anyone is claiming it is universally hated - clearly there are lots of people that  like it, for whatever reason. 

Tidal probably made the deal with MQA thinking it would bring them lots of additional subscribers to the hifi tier. Clearly, that also hasn’t happened. But it probably is costing Tidal little, and gives them a supposed marketing/prestige advantage. In the big picture it is costing them little - so why drop it, even if it hasn’t done what you expected?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

On 3/9/2019 at 12:00 AM, Jud said:

Hi Paul - 

Here are the reasons why that's not possible:

- The more the interpolation filter in a DAC cuts, the more it rings, or to use MQA's non-standard parlance, "blurs."  In order to avoid the DAC filter itself being a cause of "blurring," it can't cut much.

- A filter that doesn't cut much doesn't remove frequencies in the near ultrasonic, which has two effects: (1) It cannot remove ringing caused by the ADC filters, which occurs in the low ultrasonic range; and (2) it allows low ultrasonic frequencies to intermodulate with themselves and with audible frequencies, causing harmonic and intermodulation distortion.

- If you don't want your technology copied, and don't want to spend time and money chasing down alleged patent violations, you must somehow obscure the precise effect of the technology.  Therefore you cannot use lossless compression, since simple decompression will reveal the effect of the technology.  You must use lossy compression, which obscures the effect of the technology at the cost of unrecoverably throwing away information from the original file.

- Since your DAC filters don't cut in the low ultrasonic, with the potential bad effects we've described, if you don't want those bad effects realized, you must remove the low ultrasonics from what you are feeding the DAC filters, and the only place you can do this, other than mics that don't have any ultrasonic response, is in the decimation filtering in the ADC.

- If you use an ADC filter with a strong cut, it will ring ("blur"), and we know that the DAC filter can't remove this (cannot "deblur"), or it will ring itself.  So the only thing you can do is cut gently, but start in the audible range so that you have sufficient cut by the time you reach ultrasonic frequencies.

- Therefore you will either be feeding your DAC filter a file with rolled-off highs, or one with ringing and ultrasonics it can't remove, which will cause distortion.  And you will be applying lossy compression to this file as well.

Thus what one might call the "central dogma" of MQA is itself impossible; it isn't just this particular implementation that is bad, any attempt to apply the principles MQA advertises itself as built on will inevitably, due to sheer mathematics, have the same set of problems.

There are ways to do filtering well, and wind up with a product that doesn't have a great deal of ringing, or IM or harmonic distortion.  And of course it isn't necessary to use lossy compression.  But it's not possible through application of "MQA technology."

2 hours ago, Jud said:

This.  This is what a functioning press worthy of the name does.

1 hour ago, Thuaveta said:

I'd be surprised if it was linked to MQA. Finances, old age, maybe. MQA ? Nah. Plus Austin hasn't shown better journalistic ability, which in the case of MQA, becomes rather ominous given his distinguished scientific credentials.

It's all fine, as long as they either don't pretend to be journalists or investigative journalists, or, which is much more unlikely, if they start acting like ones (the language ("subjectivist audio journal", "more engaging, more relevant, more entertaining") in the passing-of-the-golden-dong piece makes it clear to me there's no intention of that).

That was a nice write up Jud.

You guys know there is no functioning "Audiophile Press".  We have a few mavericks with web zines, but they are not really journalists - they are more like pundits.  It's all review oriented trade publications...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

Just now, Paul R said:

Is it then, what Tidal claims it to be? 

Hi,

The claims against MQA are objective, and provable - in fact, they have scored an own goal in their AES paper.

The disagreement with Tidal is objective on what they have written, and not the subjective claims of MQA.

No one can really dispute the subjective claims of MQA nor Tidal - since they are subjective.

Regards,

Shadders.

16 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

The claims against MQA are objective, and provable - in fact, they have scored an own goal in their AES paper.

The disagreement with Tidal is objective on what they have written, and not the subjective claims of MQA.

No one can really dispute the subjective claims of MQA nor Tidal - since they are subjective.

Regards,

Shadders.

We will have to disagree then - Tidal is not only charging more for MQA, it is hawking it as perfect authenticated sound, at 24/96k. So either MQA and Tidal are delivering at least 24/96k perfect sound, which would mean neither Tidal or MQA is lying,  or Tidal and MQA are not telling the truth. That is hardly subjective to my thinking.  

If MQA is delivering true 24/96k lossless sound, then the arguments against MQA start to fall apart. If not, then Tidal can hardly be an innocent party here and,  should be treated as any other MQA supporter.

I do *not* know the facts there. I expect someone here will though. 

P.S.  I am playing Devil's Advocate here just a bit. The differences in the way MQA is treated vs. MQA supporters vs. commercial supporters is a bit extreme. 

Robert A. Heinlein

19 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

Now that everyone, even MQA,  has agreed that MQA is lossy, we should understand that a lossy system is, of itself, DRM.  Creating a lossy system is the first step in creating a DRM system

Not quite sure what you’re trying to say here. MP3’s which are lossy, don’t have DRM built into them yet SACD’s which aren’t lossy, do. What does lossy or not have to do with DRM?

8 minutes ago, Daccord said:

Tidal isn't charging more for MQA. They have two tiers - the low cost version includes "normal" and "high" mp3, and the HiFi tier includes "HiFi - Lossless audio" and "Master - The best audio experience".  Despite the fact that I have selected "HiFi" in the streaming audio quality settings, Tidal constantly tries to shove MQA content my way. In fact, it takes some effort to avoid MQA, which would suggest to me Tidal is being paid to promote it.

To get MQA content, you have to pay a premium. As you point out, that premium buys you both "HiFi" and MQA "Tidal Masters".  

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

6 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

Not quite sure what you’re trying to say here. MP3’s which are lossy, don’t have DRM built into them yet SACD’s which aren’t lossy, do. What does lossy or not have to do with DRM?

It is part of the "freemium" DRM scheme which is MQA.  Your rights are managed by the design of MQA - being lossless ensures that you don't have access/possession of the "crown jewels" of the labels.  

1 minute ago, Sonicularity said:

Though, the ~165K subscribers to Tidal HiFi did not necessarily choose MQA.  It was added to everyone's access with no option to exclude MQA files.

No, they do not have to pay for MQA, they can choose the lower tier that does not include it. 

As has been pointed out, most of the subscribers to Tidal do choose the lower, lossy tier. Only those willing to pay a premium get to hear the more expensive lossy MQA product, while thinking they are hearing a studio master at 24/96k.  

Robert A. Heinlein

1 minute ago, KeenObserver said:

I thought that was self evident.  If it is lossy,  it cannot be reconstituted back to the original.

Well, if I record something as an MP3, that is the original. So no, lossy doesn’t automatically mean DRM. And as I pointed out previously, SACD does utilize DRM but isn’t lossy. There’s no connection between the two. 

2 minutes ago, Paul R said:

No, they do not have to pay for MQA, they can choose the lower tier that does not include it. 

As has been pointed out, most of the subscribers to Tidal do choose the lower, lossy tier. Only those willing to pay a premium get to hear the more expensive lossy MQA product, while thinking they are hearing a studio master at 24/96k.  

The Hi-Fi tier is CD quality. Most if not all tracks are available, a number north of 40 million tracks. The number of MQA tracks is less than 166k. And a lot of MQA files are 16/44.1.

5 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

Well, if I record something as an MP3, that is the original. So no, lossy doesn’t automatically mean DRM. And as I pointed out previously, SACD does utilize DRM but isn’t lossy. There’s no connection between the two. 

On the contrary, there is an essential connection between the two in MQA's case:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30381-mqa-is-vaporware/page/475/?tab=comments#comment-937525

10 minutes ago, crenca said:

It is part of the "freemium" DRM scheme which is MQA.  Your rights are managed by the design of MQA - being lossless ensures that you don't have access/possession of the "crown jewels" of the labels.  

I think you meant “being lossy ensures” not lossless but that isn’t what I was asking about. KeenObserver said that if something was in a lossy format that it automatically included DRM. That’s not a true statement.