IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

12 minutes ago, Miska said:

But what purpose does the MQA serve? I only see it serving purpose of license money for the encoders and decoders.

But this is where I think MQA is clever.  It also serves to create a premium tier of streaming service which enables the label to make more money and share that with artists who are underpaid under streaming.  It also serves to align interests to create a bigger market for hirez.

It's a clever extension of each stakeholder saying "what's in it for me" with the music ecosystem.

The problem with free things like FLAC is there is no money in it for most people.  That makes it hard to gain wider adoption.

10 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

Not sure what you are trying to achieve. MQA Ltd made claims that were proven false.

Copy protection - it has always something that the audio and video industry will pursue, from LP's in the 1980's, CD copybit, watermarking, rootkits etc. Same for DVD and Blu-ray. Copy protection schemes will never stop being designed or introduced.

Not sure about the personal attack, people names who got MQA to recant their claims etc. The evidence of the lies stated by MQA supporter is what has been refuted and proven wrong - lossless, special glove treatment of every album, signed off by the artists, deblurring when in fact it causes blur, the claimed ADC errors causing blur, when in fact it does not actually exist, the aliasing which is quite simply extremely bad audio engineering - all this purported to be High Resolution and a A New World Order.

Self proclaimed experts - again, not sure what you are referring to here. Either dispute the evidence presented, or accept it.

Regards,

Shadders.

Shrug. - the only point I have really disputed is  that the current  MQA implementation is as good as it can be. It can be better. 

You are are simply being disingenuous with the rest of your comment however. 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

2 minutes ago, firedog said:

No, it just means they are not yet in a market position with MQA to make that work. If, as you keep claiming, MQA is adopted by some of the significant streaming services (Tidal and Qobuz are minor players), then we will see what they really intend.
I also find it interesting as MQA Ltd., themselves have said that their goal is to be the default streaming format (other than free mp3 streams), and to accrue profits from the MQA licensed HW that will then necessarily follow.

I doubt MQA will dominate enough streaming services to impact customer choice.  There are just too many out there (significant competition) and too many other options like multiple download sites, etc.

9 minutes ago, firedog said:

"The discussion" is not just here; it's also in the rest of the audiophile press/universe. Other than here, little "real discussion" has taken place. There are a few examples, but they are exceptions that prove the rule. The more general phenomenon has been one of articles just echoing MQA marketing speak and taking whatever MQA Ltd., or it's representatives say at face value. In fact, even when politely challenging "non-factual" assertations in many of these articles, the response is just further regurgitation of what "Bob" says, with little or no critical analysis.

I can see that.

But what little discussion remains here only happens in between rants, and intensive “shout downs.”  And from a broader viewpoint, the points that the most strident here engage upon may simply be wrong. MQA taking over the world and such rat droppings. 

The facts were, in general, presented very reasonably, if not welcomed with open arms by a MQA. The hateful personal attacks simply detract from them. 

Robert A. Heinlein

1 minute ago, Paul R said:

The facts were, in general, presented very reasonably, if not welcomed with open arms by a MQA.

Not sure what you are referring to here.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

19 minutes ago, firedog said:

Again, the unstated assumption in what you are saying is that the real reason for MQA is to prevent us from access to the unadulterated masters/hi-res versions. Only in that scenario does what you are claiming make sense. And that is btw, exactly what Robert Hartley was referring to when he said the purpose of MQA was to keep the "crown jewels" - aka actual hi-res versions/masters - away from the public.

It seems like that is a well and often stated assumption, and one that is probably true, no? 

The trade off was that we would get more and better quality music from the labels. While MQA cannot exactly control that, it is certainly one promise that has not come true. Unless you count Tidal masters I suppose. 

FLAC is difficult to impose DRM upon, so it probably cannot be used to protect the “Crown Jewels” - But you already knew that of course?

Robert A. Heinlein

48 minutes ago, Miska said:

Thanks!

Signal Max  : 2.66631e+06 (-9.96 dB)

image.thumb.png.c8a9289c114563da0376d4ec45439cb2.png

Pretty high level. Not sure how accurate the diff is...

image.thumb.png.cc2a92b9a8fdc96a9e7ca080bea8b976.png

Here's what I'm getting:

Sample B:

34021701_Audacity-SampleB.thumb.JPG.e96d3c60781100d657c609b3ccd78b82.JPG

Sample C

1805727144_Audacity-SampleC.JPG.3abbb042296f189ade2fc096b6434bfe.JPG

Difference:

1666456689_Audacity-Difference.JPG.a7d449e583b6ee2b5ce9eb13fbe097cd.JPG

Looks reasonable to me. Depending on the content, MQA seems to be doing a lot (probably during cymbal strikes, etc.) or very little.

If these two files nulled perfectly, MQA would be doing nothing. And we know it's not doing nothing.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro