IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

2 hours ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

MQA has been proven to be fraudulent. There is no "feel" in it.

Engineering is not subjective as you have inferred. Maybe that is the problem, those who continue to argue against the MQA criticism with the continued falsehoods, do not realise that engineering is purely objective.

Regards,

Shadders.

Engineering is not really subjective, though any engineer will tell you they often make subjective choices in implementation.  But real engineering - in every field - stresses and depends upon accuracy.  Even when - or especially when - implementing subjective choices. 

MQA the company has been proven fraudulent in its claims about MQA the technology. Conflating the company with the technology though is just sloppy thinking, not engineering. Conflating MQA the engineering with MQA the theory is again, sloppy thinking. The theory for instance, is not fraudulent. It can be right, wrong, or even both, but it can not be fraudulent. Only people (or things like corporate entities led by people) can be fraudulent.

Justifying such sloppy thinking, with even more sloppy thinking about MQA being the tool the evil record empires plan to use to lock up your music is just, well, paranoia. The chances of such a plot succeeding are about as close to zero as anyone can measure. But it makes a great rallying cry. 

I do find it amusing when someone accuses me of jumping into the conversation at the last minute. I think  I was one of the first people to post in this thread years ago. I do not think I have changed my opinion much since then. Some of course, from looking at the real research that was done  and even doing a little bit of my own. 

-Paul

By by the way,  thanks to someone here (Thank you. You know who you are...) pointing out that people actually feel betrayed by the audio press, I can understand some of the anger. But the adolescent fury, petulance, and general nastiness is not born from anger, it is simply unacceptable  bad behavior. Apparently it is great “fun” for the people who are engaging in it. But it has to go before any real discussion can take place. And you need discussion before any healing will happen. 

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

18 minutes ago, Paul R said:

Engineering is not really subjective, though any engineer will tell you they often make subjective choices in implementation.  But real engineering - in every field - stresses and depends upon accuracy.  Even when - or especially when - implementing subjective choices. 

MQA the company has been proven fraudulent in its claims about MQA the technology. Conflating the company with the technology though is just sloppy thinking, not engineering. Conflating MQA the engineering with MQA the theory is again, sloppy thinking. The theory for instance, is not fraudulent. It can be right, wrong, or even both, but it can not be fraudulent. Only people (or things like corporate entities led by people) can be fraudulent.

Justifying such sloppy thinking, with even more sloppy thinking about MQA being the tool the evil record empires plan to use to lock up your music is just, well, paranoia. The chances of such a plot succeeding are about as close to zero as anyone can measure. But it makes a great rallying cry. 

I do find it amusing when someone accuses me of jumping into the conversation at the last minute. I think  I was one of the first people to post in this thread years ago. I do not think I have changed my opinion much since then. Some of course, from looking at the real research that was done  and even doing a little bit of my own. 

-Paul

By by the way,  thanks to someone here (Thank you. You know who you are...) pointing out that people actually feel betrayed by the audio press, I can understand some of the anger. But the adolescent fury, petulance, and general nastiness is not born from anger, it is simply unacceptable  bad behavior. Apparently it is great “fun” for the people who are engaging in it. But it has to go before any real discussion can take place. And you need discussion before any healing will happen. 

Hi,

You are splitting hairs here. MQA claims, is said meaning MQA Ltd. They claimed it was lossless, when in fact it was lossy. This has been proven, yet people here a few months ago still claimed it was lossless.

Not sure why you have referred to paranoia in regards to locking up the music. How many times have the music industry tried to implement copy protection ?. We have such technology on DVD's and Blu-ray discs now - for region coding and copying etc. We have the inherent copy protection in the audio of DVD's and Blu Ray :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinavia

This is happening now. They don't seem to be stopping do they ?.

People react badly to the persistent lies from MQA supporters.

Look at the MQA AES paper - they claim that they reverse dispersion or "blurring" as they like to call it, yet their filters cause blur. The MQA AES paper has been peer reviewed - so, are the AES people incompetent or fraudulent in supporting/approving the MQA AES paper ?

Regards,

Shadders.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

What is peak-amplitude of the difference? What kind of spectrum is this? Because most of the difference seems to be noise-like, it's level in spectrum depends on number of FFT points and possible averaging. Apart from that, there are some discrete distortion peaks though.

This was a real-time capture using MusicScope's UHR set to 1.46 hz/bin. I just picked a random point during the track.

Here's the difference file itself - feel free to analyse with your software of choice:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1r21Qtf-Ji9tXloY63Wus2vE8vIecPC5I

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

10 minutes ago, manisandher said:

This was a real-time capture using MusicScope's UHR set to 1.46 hz/bin. I just picked a random point during the track.

Here's the difference file itself - feel free to analyse with your software of choice:

Mani.

Hi,

Can you perform a time domain difference between the two songs ?

That would indicate the actual differences between the tracks. Do the tracks have the same master ?

Regards,

Shadders.

15 minutes ago, manisandher said:

Mani.

Thanks!

Signal Max  : 2.66631e+06 (-9.96 dB)

image.thumb.png.c8a9289c114563da0376d4ec45439cb2.png

Pretty high level. Not sure how accurate the diff is...

image.thumb.png.cc2a92b9a8fdc96a9e7ca080bea8b976.png

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

16 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

You are splitting hairs here. MQA claims, is said meaning MQA Ltd. They claimed it was lossless, when in fact it was lossy. This has been proven, yet people here a few months ago still claimed it was lossless.

So? People still claim the Earth is flat as well. I can assure you nobody is falling off the edge of the world. I am also pretty confident the world is not sitting on the backs of four elephants, standing on the shell of a giant turtle flying through space. 

Not sure why you have referred to paranoia in regards to locking up the music. How many times have the music industry tried to implement copy protection ?. We have such technology on DVD's and Blu-ray discs now - for region coding and copying etc. We have the inherent copy protection in the audio of DVD's and Blu Ray :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinavia

This is happening now. They don't seem to be stopping do they ?.

Really? You think anyone really cares about 9 year old BluRay protection schemes?  If I want to buy a movie, I buy it from Apple. Not only do I not have to worry about copy protection, I can also download the thing and store it locally if I wish.  If one should be an App,e hater, there are other companies, like Amazon who do the same thing. Let them worry about it. I am confident that in any battle of wills, Amazon and App,e will somehow manage to humble their opponents. 

People react badly to the persistent lies from MQA supporters.

Look at the MQA AES paper - they claim that they reverse dispersion or "blurring" as they like to call it, yet their filters cause blur. The MQA AES paper has been peer reviewed - so, are the AES people incompetent or fraudulent in supporting/approving the MQA AES paper ?

Regards,

Shadders.

People also react just as badly or worse to persistent lies from MQA opponents. This person or that person is a shill in the employ of a MQA, etc. All, so far as I can see, utterly untrue here.

Or the hate filled rhetoric and personal attacks. Especially from people who claim special influence.  Who really got MQA to “recant” their claims?  Names and contact information please? While you are at it, how about names, credentials, and contact information on those who claim such expertise or special inside contacts with MQA? The press people make it clear who they are. Their rabid opponents here do not. Who is lying?  

You you certainly do not educate or convince people with the tactics some of  the self proclaimed experts here employ. You do generate a lot of hate and self publicity, at least within a limited group of followers, and only for a  short time. Which, I would surmise, is the purpose. Some kind of short term gain, not love of the hobby by any means. 

Robert A. Heinlein

39 minutes ago, Sonicularity said:

You have it backward.  No real discussion is taking place, and this is what is causing what you are calling bad behavior and anger.

Only one side here is shouting and launching rhetoric, the other sides are not.  Obviously, lack of communication must be the fault of those not shouting or launching rhetoric or personal insults.

Right, makes sense to someone I suppose. 

Robert A. Heinlein

7 minutes ago, Miska said:

Signal Max  : 2.66631e+06 (-9.96 dB)

What's the signal min? (Should give us an idea of how good the diff is.)

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

11 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Can you perform a time domain difference between the two songs ?

Sorry, not sure how I'd do that.

11 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Do the tracks have the same master ?

I'd say so:

1397369356_MusicScope-SampleB.thumb.JPG.7c0eda5f2f7596de13bf64d42538e92e.JPG

1367159734_MusicScope-SampleC.thumb.JPG.646508c5912b61ee413b1987a2424815.JPG

Mani.

33 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Thats not paranoia, that's a reality-based conclusion given all that we know about how the labels have operated over the years, where they are attempting to go with this isn't a far-fetched fantasy, it's quite the opposite. Just because you or anyone else is of the opinion that it has a low chance of success doesn't mean that it won't succeed, or that it shouldn't be vehemently opposed by the consumers who stand to be screwed.

This doesn't make since, because the labels are also giving hirez music to Qobuz.  

If MQA was some nefarious record label conspiracy then they would not let out 24/96 files of thousands of albums.

2 minutes ago, Miska said:

I guess what you get is still DRM protected? You can store and copy the file as much as you like, but if you want to play it, you need the decoding key... Try to play the file with VLC on Linux for example...

This is just like the MQA files.

Sure, you can download unprotected, illegal versions of the movies anyway.

But what purpose does the MQA serve? I only see it serving purpose of license money for the encoders and decoders.

I agree. I was just pointing out that copy protection on BluRay discs does not really present a problem today for most people. It has zero impact, except perhaps on some cinema-philes. I am sure they are up in arms over any visible or audible imperfections added by copy protection. :) 

And BRPs play unprotected unserialized disks just fine, which are largely sold to the high end enthusiast market at astronomical prices. A lot of indie content, just like audiophile 45rpm vinyl! 

Robert A. Heinlein