IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

10 minutes ago, jean-michel6 said:

I am using daphile , it is really easy to use , sound quality is very good with this software and it is free !

You need some knowledge to run daphile but it is not very difficult and there is instructions on daphile web site .

Hi Jean-Michel,

did you compare Daphile vs. Audirvana, both via UPnP/DLNA ?

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

10 minutes ago, Gavin1977 said:

Very interesting that after adding the Etherregen I found that the txUSBUltra no longer had much appreciable benefit, it certainly wasn't detrimental to the sound, but perhaps it could be stated that the sound stage / reverb perhaps collapsed a little.  I sold my txUSBultra.  Perhaps this is just a simple case of it being better to provide a clean source to a server to start with, rather than trying to clean up any issues further down the chain.  Etherregen is a very good product.  Anyone else tried this combination?

What were you using to power the tX-USBultra before you sold it?

12 hours ago, matthias said:

Hi Jean-Michel,

did you compare Daphile vs. Audirvana, both via UPnP/DLNA ?

Thanks

Matt

I tried Audirvana but it was running from my Mac mini where Daphile is run on Linux from my dedicated audiophile pc server  .Daphile does sound better but it is not a very fair comparison.

Undortunately Audirvana does not have a Linux version  

PCserver Supermicro X11SAA under Daphile  ,Jcat pcie net card ,Etherregen,e-red dock endpoint,powered by LPS 1.2 , SPS 500 , Sean Jacobs level 3 psu,  DAC Audiomat Maestro 3, Nagra Classic Amp , Hattor passive preamplifier , Martin Logan montis

On 3/4/2020 at 9:05 AM, jean-michel6 said:

I do understand... i have also toddlers but they are my grandchildren. Therefore I have some time and hopefully some cash 🙂

Foreword : if I advertise about this ered dock it is not to brag about my findings but really helping the community discover a product that deserves recognition . Contrary to the high end community this engineered company is having decent prices when you consider the hardware and human ware they have invested in their products.

It is really as simple as going from the nuc then to the switch then to the ered dock .

I don’t know if euphony can send music to upnp/dlna endpoint i will ask them .

I am using daphile , it is really easy to use , sound quality is very good with this software and it is free !

You need some knowledge to run daphile but it is not very difficult and there is instructions on daphile web site .

See my post above.  Also, try Gentoo Player - it does uPNP out.  Hopefully we can both support the same line of enquiry and bring further progress to the group.

Based on @Gavin1977 observations, and with my own ER arriving, i'd long thought "much of the magic coming from the opticalRendu must lie in its ability to clean up ethernet on the way".  There's clearly markings of "regen" on the oR PCB.  This is easily apparent when simply switching a StarTech FMC with the Sonore opticalModule (another added level of clarity, dynamics, transients).

Since I still have a Farad Super3 19v and NUC i7 to hand, I decided to fire these up with GentooPlayer, using out of the box configuration with NAA.  This time the ER was connected directly to the NUC's ethernet port and fed with the Farad Super3 7v that I use for the opticalRendu.  Opticalmodule running Shanti 5v output on other side, from a Cisco 2960G. 

All cabling is Belden Catsnake for ethernet, Sablon Elite 2020 USB, and Ghent provided GAC4/1 ultra pro for XLRs and the DC inputs (via GX16-4s).  https://www.lambda-tek.com/Planet-MGB-TLX~sh/B3252019 SFPs used in all items (I too found them less mechanical sounding than the 80km StarTech variants).  There is vibration control throughout the whole chain, and some vibration sinking too.

I'm waiting for an MPAudio board for the oR, so I can move the super3 to the ER.  ER (before swap to NUC) was powered by ATL Audio 12v.

Whilst there was an ever so slight increase in overall dynamics (prob due to Super3 7v ER?), despite leaving it overnight to settle and warm up, the palpable/room presence and especially transient attack/edges were clearly lost. This is regardless of using the 100mbit or 1gig port on the A/B side of the ER.

It should be said though the ER _does_ certainly close the gap with the oR significantly - prior to this, they weren't so comparable.  ER comes recommended regardless !!

I do have an Allo USB Signature, but I'll wait for the MPAudio to arrive before comparing it with the ER and oR/oM.  I wouldn't be shocked to find its similar to @Gavin1977's outcomes due to lack of native onboard ether-regen circuits, but no harm in trying.

PS: NUC in passive case, industrial apacer RAM (4GB), and Gentoo allowed the CPU to turbo.

Interesting findings - do you have a tx-USBultra to test with your opticalRendu?  I do wonder if this would also show little benefit from USB cleaning/reclocking.  I think the review of Allo USB signature also reported little benefit for adding it in (USB output must have been pretty clean).

31 minutes ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

@Superdad the only reason I havent taken you advice (yet) is not having an equally good super3 available in the 7-12v range at the same time as the opticalRendu.  I'm actually sending my 19v Super3 back to Farad on Monday to be adjusted to 12v just so I can follow your advice - but thank you for pointing it out netherless!

Some like @romaz and Emile from Taiko Audio reported that the ER sounds better when all is connected to the A-side only, so this might be worth a try.

Matt

4 hours ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

@matthias you and Emile are correct.  With the Allo USB Sig, I prefer using the B side.  On the main system with the oR, A side (transients sound less "rounded" in that setup).  Have to try again with different power and topologies mind (i.e. skipping oM).

If you use the "better" A-side of the ER with "copper in" and "fiber out" and use it so as a FMC it would be very nice if you can comment on a SQ comparison of ER as FMC vs. OpticalModule.

Thank you 

Matt

3 hours ago, matthias said:

If you use the "better" A-side of the ER with "copper in" and "fiber out" and use it so as a FMC it would be very nice if you can comment on a SQ comparison of ER as FMC vs. OpticalModule.

This is on my list of things to figure out.  Two problems though.  First off, I really can’t achieve apples to apples with power supplies.  Also this would require me to go back to use of the Startech FMC upstream.  The harm the Startech is doing became evident when compared to the OM.  I’ll give it a shot though and report my findings with necessary caveats.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

37 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

I don’t really see any benefit in comparing the OM to the ER (as an FMC) in my system, but I will be shipping my OM off to an Extreme owner so that he can assess this for himself.

Thanks for sharing.

IMO, the most fair comparison between ER as FMC and OM should include:

1.) Using the ER as FMC only not as switch (one copper input only).

2.) Using the A-side only of ER.

3.) Using for ER and OM the same HQ PS.

4.) The downstream component must have fiber input like OR or Taiko Extreme.

AFAIK from his posts on WBF even @romaz has not yet done this comparison.

Thanks

Matt

2 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

The improvements I heard absolutely justified the ER’s asking price - but of course YMMV.  By all accounts the Extreme is able to produce dynamics that my system couldn’t even dream of - so I don’t doubt Emile or Roy when they say the moat slowed things down, though I heard no evidence of this in my far more humble system.

TBH I was quite surprised to find I preferred without moat on my main system, without resorting to an extreme.  Ryzen 3900x w/industrial ram running HQP Server on one end, NAA oR on other.   

It reminded me of switching an Ethernet port between 100mb and 1gig - sure, less haze as you mention, but you do lose some transient definition in voices & natural instruments especially (which translates into less presence).