IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

9 minutes ago, rickca said:

Those who demand objective measurements or technical rationale for why some things sound better will continue to insist that we're delusional.  I'm fine with that.

Same here! 😀

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

7 hours ago, taipan254 said:

Assuming I pulled the right diagram (see attached), it looks like the USB ports on the SGM extreme motherboard Emile uses also pulls from the chipset and is not cpu direct. 

vftJLn5.png

Yes.....Apparently 

dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - Siltech Double Crown PC, Tara Labs Zero Evo AES; dCS Vivaldi DAC - Siltech Double Crown PC - Tara Labs Zero Evo XLR; dCS Vivaldi Clock - Siltech Double Crown PC - Viard Platinum BNC; Mutec Ref10 SE-120 - Shunyata Sigma Digital PC - AR Cox Triple C BNC; Music Server - La Sound Olympia PC; Spectral DMC-30SS MKii - Crystal Ultimate Dream PC; Spectral DMC-400RS - Tiglon 2000A PC - AR RTP6 Abs. - Transparent Reference G5 spk cable; Rockport Atria MKi, Shunyata Triton V2 + Typhon - Sigma HC PC, Thixar SMD Ultimate Rack + CMS Platinum MKiii / Tripoint Troy Signature BLK

https://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=124319&extra=page=1

3 hours ago, Iving said:

Nice resource of CPU-direct PCIe tho' ...

also U.2 I notice ...

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3307189/intels-905p-optane-15tb.html

Plenty of (fanless) bespoke scope for DIYers!!

PCIe interface is always beneficial. I am using a regular SATA PCIe Card (Marvell 9235) for HDD (music files storage) which is better than onboard SATA.

RoonServerHDD.thumb.jpeg.b59e9fe97139cc5c4c8e0aa1a7c0577e.jpeg

dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - Siltech Double Crown PC, Tara Labs Zero Evo AES; dCS Vivaldi DAC - Siltech Double Crown PC - Tara Labs Zero Evo XLR; dCS Vivaldi Clock - Siltech Double Crown PC - Viard Platinum BNC; Mutec Ref10 SE-120 - Shunyata Sigma Digital PC - AR Cox Triple C BNC; Music Server - La Sound Olympia PC; Spectral DMC-30SS MKii - Crystal Ultimate Dream PC; Spectral DMC-400RS - Tiglon 2000A PC - AR RTP6 Abs. - Transparent Reference G5 spk cable; Rockport Atria MKi, Shunyata Triton V2 + Typhon - Sigma HC PC, Thixar SMD Ultimate Rack + CMS Platinum MKiii / Tripoint Troy Signature BLK

https://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=124319&extra=page=1

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 3:29 PM, soares said:

Just received my kit Furutech + Mundorf Wire for my OPPO 205.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oppo-BDP-93-95-103D-105D-UDP-203-205-Kit-Furutech-Inlet-R-IEC-Mundorf-Wire-/123213854445

For 150$ you get a notable better SQ in what concerns timbre and stage. After all this years still surprised how cables make such a difference... 🙂

Cheers Jorge

The replacement with a Furutech IEC inlet can only result in what can ONLY be a MINOR improvement in performance and reliability due to a more reliable low resistance contact, DESPITE it still using a standard grade mains cable plugging into it.

To take full advantage of the Furutech IEC socket you should also replace the existing cable's IEC plug with a similar high grade IEC plug !

When we first do something like this modification, the differences often appear to be much greater than they really are, although they may indeed be there. Reversing the modification under non sighted conditions will normally show this.  

( I would be among the last person that most members could call Anti-subjective, but just being realistic ¬¬)

Perhaps a better solution may be to bypass the IEC socket entirely ?.

You should be able to achieve at least as good results by chopping off the mains plug and fitting a 2 pin plug to it as before.
 A small backing plate could be made to cover the I.E.C. socket's hole, with a hole in it for the entry of the cable , using a rubber grommet,  and a mains cable retaining clip to secure the cable internally.
(Similar to https://www.noldtrading.com.au/nylon-cable-clamp-p-clip.html?source=googlebase&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyp7yBRCwARIsABfQsnSdftbPy0DC5M6XUYAfsWAeeajOerVN3Ir8_lUHot0pQSGJ-UXnGXMaAvICEALw_wcB)
 There would then be no advantage to using the Mundorf wire for the final few inches, as the small remaining resistance of the plug and socket connection has been eliminated , as well as a soldered or crimped connection on the Furutech socket itself .

A few inches of the exotic Mundorf wire can only help to compensate a little for the added resistance of the mating of the plug and socket, and perhaps the connections to the IEC socket. There is nothing magic about using this exotic and expensive wire for the final few inches of the A.C. mains supply lead other than perhaps reducing plug/socket resistance slightly for compensation purposes .

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

5 minutes ago, sandyk said:

If the Furutech IEC inlet does indeed result in what can ONLY be a MINOR improvement in performance due to a more reliable low resistance contact, DESPITE it still using a standard grade mains cable plugging into it.

To take full advantage of the Furutech IEC socket you should also replace the existing cable's IEC plug with a similar high grade IEC plug !

When we first do something like this modification, the differences often appear to be much greater than they really are, although they may indeed be there. Reversing the modification under non sighted conditions will normally show this.  

( I would be among the last person that most members could call Anti-subjective, but just being realistic ¬¬)

Perhaps a better solution may be to bypass the IEC socket entirely ?.

You should be able to achieve at least as good results by chopping off the mains plug and fitting a 2 pin plug to it as before.
 A small backing plate could be made to cover the I.E.C. socket's hole, with a hole in it for the entry of the cable , using a rubber grommet,  and a mains cable retaining clip to secure the cable internally.
(Similar to https://www.noldtrading.com.au/nylon-cable-clamp-p-clip.html?source=googlebase&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyp7yBRCwARIsABfQsnSdftbPy0DC5M6XUYAfsWAeeajOerVN3Ir8_lUHot0pQSGJ-UXnGXMaAvICEALw_wcB)
 There would then be no advantage to using the Mundorf wire for the final few inches, as the small remaining resistance of the plug and socket connection has been eliminated , as well as a soldered or crimped connection on the Furutech socket itself .

A few inches of the exotic Mundorf wire can only help to compensate a little for the added resistance of the mating of the plug and socket, and perhaps the connections to the IEC socket. There is nothing magic about using this exotic and expensive wire for the final few inches of the A.C. mains supply lead other than perhaps reducing plug/socket resistance slightly for compensation purposes .

Thanks for your views. I appreciated them. I compared the two with my Oppo still opened. The differences are minor but I could hear them. Couldn’t try no sighted test, but I trust it was not a biased evaluation. My system is very sensitive and minor changes are easily heard. Perhaps I should have used noticeable and not notable. My apologies for the English... Not my mother tong...🙏

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

28 minutes ago, lmitche said:

I think the ER is best between the router and the server where it eliminates the cable and router born grunge. A side to router, B side to server if copper. Reversed for fiber of course.

Interesting, so your endpoint is not directly connected to the Etheregen? 🤔.

I will have to give this a try when I get a chance

Hi,

I will make a fanless NUC to run Euphony Stylus with Tidal. I'm thinking of buy:

- NUC: NUC8i3BEH or NUC8i5BEH

- Disk: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250 GB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD

- Case: Akasa Turing

This seems good? Or do you have any other recommendation? What RAM(amount and model) do you recommend?

Thank you in advance.

On 2/16/2020 at 10:29 AM, lmitche said:

My hardware config is likely to be unique, so YMMV. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks again Larry for sharing your experiments, I have finally had a chance to spend several hours trying out your recent suggestions.

I got myself a TP Link UE300 with the realtek 8153 chipset and I decided to go for your full suggestion of putting the server on the b side of the Etheregen feeding into the RJ45 port of the server and then bridge one USB NIC on the server to another USB NIC (UE 300) on the endpoint NUC, joined with the cable matters cat 8. I changed this connection speed to 100Mbps because in my system I found 1Gbps too glassy in the treble. On the A side of the Etheregen I only have a Supra cat8 going to my router... I have also turned off 5Ghz WiFi on the router for a small gain (less glassy treble). 

I have been using this configuration for several hours now and so far I'm liking what I'm hearing. I think that there are some gains from having the server on the b side further separated from the router... I am hearing more ambient cues and decay on some tracks and small background details that simply weren't there before. 

The addition of the Etheregen in my system really made music incredibly enjoyable and engaging, so I'll see how I like this new configuration over the next week and if I don't feel as engaged with the music as I did before then I might revert back to just the endpoint on the B side again to compare, but for now I'm saying that your configuration is a success in my system 😁👍

On 2/21/2020 at 3:53 PM, mnuno10 said:

Hi,

I will make a fanless NUC to run Euphony Stylus with Tidal. I'm thinking of buy:

- NUC: NUC8i3BEH or NUC8i5BEH

- Disk: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250 GB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD

- Case: Akasa Turing

This seems good? Or do you have any other recommendation? What RAM(amount and model) do you recommend?

Thank you in advance.

U don't need a 250 GB SSD, it is too noisy.  The Euphony runs on 8GB minimum but you likely not store music files on the SSD (unless you will, but since you do tidal, I presume you won't store music files). Some use Optane M2 drive which is supposed to be quietest.  If you still want the EVO, maybe a lower GB would be be quieter.  You can also load music files (if not using tidal) into Ecache remotely file manager or external drive that can be detached afterwards,  so you won't need a large SSD. 

I presume you will have a LPS for the NUC ?

On 2/22/2020 at 2:27 PM, lmitche said:

Be sure to disable Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE) on the server to NIC connection with ethtool. Once the latter is done, give 1gbps another go.

Why?

My recommendation for NAA usage with HQPlayer is specifically to have it, because it makes the Ethernet link much more quiet. It can deal with both the amount of power put on the wire, and also sleep when there is no data traffic.

I have it specifically enabled on all my links...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers