IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

@matthias I did see this posted, infact, I brought the planet SFPs as soon as Emile mentioned them.  

I suspected with the tiny chassis's the oR and oM came with that they too would benefit from lower EMI footprint SFPs.  They did btw, as mentioned certainly sound less mechanical.  I should have posted about that, but apologies writing isn't my forte.

One thing I've done that I don't see mentioned by others (or maybe they dont discuss it) is vibration control.  Main system is covered in Daiza's and Towshend seismic podiums for the KEF blades, all other ancillaries using combo of Pulsar Points + mini ISO-Pucks.   

Main listening area is bordering padded cell - prob should get professional assistance there at some point (!).

But yes, still surprised their findings match my own.

6 minutes ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

@matthias I did see this posted, infact, I brought the planet SFPs as soon as Emile mentioned them.  

I suspected with the tiny chassis's the oR and oM came with that they too would benefit from lower EMI footprint SFPs.  They did btw, as mentioned certainly sound less mechanical.  I should have posted about that, but apologies writing isn't my forte.

One thing I've done that I don't see mentioned by others (or maybe they dont discuss it) is vibration control.  Main system is covered in Daiza's and Towshend seismic podiums for the KEF blades, all other ancillaries using combo of Pulsar Points + mini ISO-Pucks.   

Main listening area is bordering padded cell - prob should get professional assistance there at some point (!).

But yes, still surprised their findings match my own.

Yes, I am very interested about your experiences with the Daizas.

If you think it is OT here, please send me PM.

Thank you

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

17 minutes ago, austinpop said:

For what it's worth, I DO find the A<->B crossing to sound notably better. Not sure why the Extreme folk find differently. In general, this space is very system-dependent, so nothing is real, other than what you hear in your own system.

Out of interest, any fibre in your system's network?

Agreed - use as works best for yourself, that's all that matters.

Does anyone else have experience they can share in comparing the Sonore opticalRendu with other streamers?  I can find reviews, but not comparisions.

I would imagine that the eRED-dock would be similar in performance (but it's limited to uPNP).  I'm interested in filling in the percieved gap with the products other preople have found that lie between the opticalRendu and the ultra highend Pink Faun and Taiko Audio Extreme.  Both of which are way out of my price range 🙂

2 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

Does anyone else have experience they can share in comparing the Sonore opticalRendu with other streamers?  I can find reviews, but not comparisions.

I would imagine that the eRED-dock would be similar in performance (but it's limited to uPNP).  I'm interested in filling in the percieved gap with the products other preople have found that lie between the opticalRendu and the ultra highend Pink Faun and Taiko Audio Extreme.  Both of which are way out of my price range 🙂

The problem is that PF and Taiko are server/streamer where the OR and the eRED-dock are endpoints only.

For both endpoints you would need an additional server anyway.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

3 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

You'd have to compare their Signature Optical range, ideally with tier ii (+ turbo PSU) - which uses the same opticalRendu PCB.  I tried to get ahold of one in the UK, but its a real struggle hence went for the oR and will recase and apply a heatsink to it's SoC.  Lots of reviews, though.

Edit: opticalRendu PCB is the same in all Signature SE Optical ranges, its the modifications (fuse, EMI shielding and Turbo PSU) that differentiates it.  These days they simply have 1 offering (thankfully).

14 hours ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

You'd have to compare their Signature Optical range, ideally with tier ii (+ turbo PSU) - which uses the same opticalRendu PCB.  I tried to get ahold of one in the UK, but its a real struggle hence went for the oR and will recase and apply a heatsink to it's SoC.  Lots of reviews, though.

Edit: opticalRendu PCB is the same in all Signature SE Optical ranges, its the modifications (fuse, EMI shielding and Turbo PSU) that differentiates it.  These days they simply have 1 offering (thankfully).

Thanks - nobody holds stock in the UK unfortunately as they're all custom made to order.  So no means for me to compare.

Agreed that PF and Taiko are server/streamer, and I'm looking at endpoints - whilst an endpoint makes most sense for me (as I almost excusively use Tidal) I'm just following the eternal quest of 'what sounds best' for my given needs, budget  and learning on the way 🙂 

On 3/8/2020 at 10:32 AM, guiltyboxswapper said:

I did see this posted, infact, I brought the planet SFPs as soon as Emile mentioned them.

@guiltyboxswapper @matthias I've a favor to ask. Can you guys please share what fiber cable are you using between the planet SFP mentioned here? Do I need to use a attenuator given they are for long distance?

I've a Mikrotik router and SoTM switch and planning to use the SFP between them. Thank you!

On 3/1/2020 at 2:58 PM, bodiebill said:

Following some posts on an ISO Regen topic here:

I just made this adapter that allows me to split usb power and signal. The thing on the left is a Chinese 5V/2A LT3045 PSU powered by batteries.

I made this in preparation for the Denafrips Terminator that I expect to receive in a few days. However, I already tried it on my Lampizator 'Lite/Big 7'. As the Lampi does not draw any current I just removed the little PSU, to bypass the power, and already I heard a slight step up in SQ.

usb split cable.jpg

The Terminator arrived last week and I am now listening with:

audio endpoint => Lush => iFi micro iUSB3.0 => Lush^2 (data) => Terminator

where the 5VBUS power for the Terminator USB is supplied separately by a battery powered LT3045 LPSU. See pic.

I need more time before I can comment on SQ.

PHOTO_20200310_212202.jpg

audio system

4 hours ago, shahed99 said:

@guiltyboxswapper @matthias I've a favor to ask. Can you guys please share what fiber cable are you using between the planet SFP mentioned here? Do I need to use a attenuator given they are for long distance?

I've a Mikrotik router and SoTM switch and planning to use the SFP between them. Thank you!

I did use attenuators for the 80km SFPs, but for the 20km Planet variants I've not had to / tried with attenuators. 

Attenuators are very cheap if you want to try it yourself. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01EN33JZM/

19 hours ago, bodiebill said:

where the 5VBUS power for the Terminator USB is supplied separately by a battery powered LT3045 LPSU.

The 5V is only used as a trigger by the Terminator. The real USB power comes from the linear power supply built into the terminator. I think it`s more important to supply the USB controller from endpoint with clean power.

29 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

The 5V is only used as a trigger by the Terminator. The real USB power comes from the linear power supply built into the terminator. I think it`s more important to supply the USB controller from endpoint with clean power.

Ah, so the the Terminator 5V trigger would not require a top notch LPSU?

Actually, my ISO Regen gets very clean power via 9V Studer900 LPSU => ldovr LT3045 7.1V.

audio system

3 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

Ah, so the the Terminator 5V trigger would not require a top notch LPSU?

Yes

3 minutes ago, bodiebill said:

Actually, my ISO Regen gets very clean power via 9V Studer900 LPSU => ldovr LT3045 7.1V.

This shoud be enough! 👍

Have you picked a case that will fit the ASUS sage mobo?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

2 hours ago, Nenon said:

Yes, that's correct. I am pretty sure it would fit, although I haven't tried it yet. 

WS C621E Sage is EEB Form Factor - 12 inch x 13 inch

For comparison:

ATX Form Factor - 12.0 inch x 9.29 inch

Extended ATX Form Factor - 12 inch x 10.9 inch

Also Sage is a dual socket mobo. If you populate both, you need to figure out the cooling and routing heat pipes on the H5 case.