IGNORED

USB cable comparisons

6 minutes ago, HumanMedia said:

What is a certified USB cable?

And what makes you think the manufacturer is not concerned about the quality of the USB connection? Because they supplied a bare minimum so that the DAC could be connected?

Here you go.

https://www.usb.org/compliance

I think my DAC manufacturer is greatly concerned about audio quality, and the measured specifications outshine many other similar products well above its price range.  The manufacturer is well respected and known for making professional audio gear.   It would seem silly to throw in a supposedly mediocre performing USB cable for the sole purpose of being able to simply connect the unit to a source while potentially sacrificing all of the impressive accolades and potential described in great detail within the promotional content.

6 minutes ago, barrows said:

It is common practice in the audio industry to include generic cable(s) with a product as a convenience to the purchaser, in no way does this practice suggest that the included cable(s) are the best performing option.

True but on the other hand, as @marce said:

"A problem for domestic audio is external connectors, you never know what sort of cable is going to be hung on the end of the device, so you have to design for a generic cable and hope the punters use somthing similar and not some exotic antenna,?"

14 minutes ago, barrows said:

Not sure what your point is?  The user has the potential to increase, or decrease, performance by their cable selection, options are good.  So the user gets to choose the best cable, which performs best in their system, there is nothing wrong with that.

I'm not sure that I have ever seen any type of scientific evidence to suggest anyone can improve transparency, which is what everyone should expect from a properly designed USB cable within operational specifications.  

7 hours ago, Em2016 said:

True but on the other hand, as @marce said:

"A problem for domestic audio is external connectors, you never know what sort of cable is going to be hung on the end of the device, so you have to design for a generic cable and hope the punters use somthing similar and not some exotic antenna,?"

I was referring to the handling of EMC issues within the component, specifically conducted immunity. Cables hanging of kit are a possible source of introducing noise into the circuitry, not only can they act as antenna's picking up rf, but also couple to other sources of noise  such as near by mains cables (usually inductive coupling). This affect not just audio but any system. This can also work the other way, with the cable acting as a noise source (radiated emissions) and thus possibly causing problems to nearby equipment. Now imagine a set up where you have several pieces of kit interconnected by various cable, power cables, not just mains, but often these days via wall warts (often the work of the devil) all close together (such as a domestic audio system) and you could have an EMC nightmare, especially if the cables are not to the required specification (such as unshielded USB).

More on EMC testing to save me blabbing on.

https://emcfastpass.com/emc-testing-beginners-guide/emc-immunity-testing/

17 hours ago, str-1 said:

Generally, what differences should I expect to hear with different lengths of the same cable?  In a really good clean transparent system should I expect to hear any difference between a 0.5m and a 1.2m cable?

Either some tick, pops, dropouts of the sound, or no difference at all.

The whole truth and nothing but the truth.

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2014/01/demo-measurements-what-does-bad-usb-or.html

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

54 minutes ago, Sonicularity said:

Science is responsible for recording and playing back the music.   Science can be applied to verify that what is played back is identical to what was recorded to a degree that makes it unlikely that any difference is audible.   I certainly hope a good mastering engineer isn't swapping out cables to get the right house sound for a particular session.

Science includes a variety of methodologies.  One is mechanistic - e.g. the post by Archimago above yours.

Another, in this context, would be a listening test.  In a sense it is more comprehensive than a mechanistic study, because if a difference can be detected one need not know the mechanism (I've posted before on the origins of the science of epidemiology and how it solve a public health crisis in London).  OTOH, if no difference can be detected, then no rational person can claim there is one.

1 minute ago, Sonicularity said:

Yep, she said it best.  

"I know a lot of my recording engineer buddies are really going to think I'm nuts. "

There was reportedly a 1/10 dB difference between the two cables tested, so there was a measurable difference found, but one that I would probably not expect most people to be able to hear.  Cookie has created outstanding products and is remarkably accomplished at what she does, and although I respect her position on the matter, I don't necessarily agree with many of her "blindfolded" testing results, and these would need much more critical analysis before I would accept them for what she claims them to be.

I would guess, if you would pour money into a scientific  test to your specifications, then the matter can be settled. Pour, I mean thousands, gobfuls of them. Just not worth the effort, could be the main reason why there's so little scientific evidence on this topic? Anyway, this thread is going to end up with both sides claiming cables do/do not make a difference, like most cable threads at CA with no consensus or partial moves towards either side. 

In any case, USB cables in particular will make a difference, it totally depends on the source noise, the cable LCR, and the victim (DAC) immunity to that noise. For example, source A might produce 80uV noise at a broad range frequency, it's a mac mini. Source B might be a laptop, producing 120uVdb noise and different frequency spectra. The cable might be the same for both sources and has 0.0004mH inductance, so the attenuation of the cable to the noise will work differently in both cases. The amount of noise coupled between the source and victim is then dependant on the cable and yes ultimately ends up what you hear, since the noise is coupled internally of the power supplies in the DAC. This isn't speculation, just how Ohms law works. The figures used are plucked out of the air to illustrate differences. Equipment to measure that level of crud can also cost thousands, so just add this to the testing scheme.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA