IGNORED

USB cable comparisons

4 hours ago, Sonicularity said:

1 Science is responsible for recording and playing back the music.   

2 Science can be applied to verify that what is played back is identical to what was recorded

3 to a degree that makes it unlikely that any difference is audible.   

4 I certainly hope a good mastering engineer isn't swapping out cables to get the right house sound for a particular session.

1- No, only the sound. You still not clear on difference between 'music' & 'sound'. (oddly like too many audiophiles :()

2- Really? I see much evidence you incorrect. Watch CA activity stream for examples of 'science' fails daily.

3- That is your opinion only (see above)

4- 'Getting a sound' is what recording studios all about! There no pretense to deliver event/purist recording product. Massive geek hardware toys reason enough to manipulate, not preserve, sound  :D

If Cookie or Barry or ?? swap a cable (or all) to achieve better reproduction for their purist products, I say Hooray! better for our 'ears'. Meters, scopes, AP-1s, &c. don't care.

You miss point that hearing of sound, music, & SQ all happen in our mind(wetware), so electronic measurement(hardware) from different universe & only sometimes correlated enough to be useful. Trained listeners, even if sometimes inconsistent, uncalibrated, still orders of magnitude more skilled, complex & subtle in 'sound' & 'music' analysis then EE toys (B|). All (almost?) respected audio product designers use EE tools in development, but final step is 'voicing' by trained ear(s). That is for a good reason, is reality of audio! (ignoring stupid objective/subjective arguments!)

Sorry all, not mean to start up 'objective/subjective brawl' or 'can't hear cables knife fight' or 'sighted vs. blind BS' in thread. Probably OP not want that too.

But lost patience with arrogant hearing denier attitudes. Must because guard fell down, since most fools & villain posters blocked to make CA sane, (mostly) friendly place (even if so slow for time now :/)

38 minutes ago, GryphonGuy said:

Scientific evidence is either a factual observation or a series of factual observations.

I'm not sure your understanding of the word, transparency, is the same as mine.

• pulling out weeds from a garden increases garden transparency
  • cleaning a dirty clear-glass window increases light transparency
  • removing electrical interference (a.k.a. noise) on an audio cable increases sound transparency

So transparency means we can see or hear more of what we want (the garden, the light or the music) and less of what we don't want (weeds, dirt, noise etc).

And I conclude that there are many ways of factually observing that we can improve on things we want to observe to the detriment of the things we don't as long as we have control over those same things.

Regards

GG

My use of the word transparency is meant to be the same as being totally clear or invisible with regards to sight.  Something cannot become more invisible.  Invisibler? ?  I may need to come up with a better adjective than transparent.

experience is not the problem that blind testing solves

scientific studies are not based on anecdotes; however, anecdotal observations can be used early on in the stages of a study to help form hypotheses

@barrows - I am not aware of any studies showing that training allows listeners to partly or wholly overcome confirmation bias - if you have one, post it up.  I can get access to most databases and/or make an actual physical appearance in a couple or research libraries, if need be.  I'm not saying partial isn't plausible, a trained listener might be able to hone in on some particular distortion, but plausibility isn't "really where it's at." (sorry Bob...)

AFAIAC, expensive usb cables are a total waste of money that could and should be otherwise allocated towards more meaningful propositions. Like room treatment and investment securities. I played around with $6 cables and $200 Audioquest offerings. Not a single bit of difference was identified. Maybe i have just have crap ears. 

14 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Actually, you don't. Experienced listeners with high resolution gear can often quite readily discern differences between the sound of some USB cables, because the differences may other than subtle if you know what to listen for. 

Even better is NO USB cable if you are able to use a suitable USB adaptor. However, that's not usually possible. 

IF you are able to make it work without the need to extend the noisy +5V out from the USB port, disconnecting this and the shield in the adaptor may offer further SQ improvements.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

16 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Even better is NO USB cable if you are able to use a suitable USB adaptor. However, that's not usually possible. 

IF you are able to make it work without the need to extend the noisy +5V out from the USB port, disconnecting this and the shield in the adaptor may offer further SQ improvements.

Well put.  Use optical or Ethernet if you can - now, where is that Uptone box?

6 hours ago, mansr said:

Yes, I suppose you like to think that.

Care to make a short recording with each so us infidels might catch a glimpse of the light?

Is there any particular reason why you appear to be making a determined effort to live up to your Member Title?

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

36 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Actually, you don't. Experienced listeners with high resolution gear can often quite readily discern differences between the sound of some USB cables, because the differences may be other than subtle if you know what to listen for.

Santa Claus flies around the globe, delivering presents to children all over the world in just one night.

And David Copperfield made a 747 disappear off a runway in a blink of the eye. He really did it, I and tens of thousands of other people saw it happen.  ?

Stop living in a crowd enforced, expectation bias induced world and come back down to reality. Do you ever even read and try to understand the facts?

3. Similar to the above point, poor digital cables are not capable of changing the overall tone of the sound. There is no such thing as a digital cable capable of acting as a "tone control", making certain sounds "brighter" or "warmer". A passive digital cable is not capable of acting with some kind of frequency filtering mechanism.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

6 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

but can a USB cable (maybe not meeting specs) affect a DAC in some freq. dependent way?

In short, YES! t

Added electrical noise can often add "grittiness" to the  sound, and in some cases be perceived as added HF detail. (FALSE HF detail)

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

14 hours ago, tmtomh said:

Your point here is an excellent one - and you are quite right that humans often hear things that cannot be accounted for by measurements of equipment.

However, you seem to be seriously mistaken in what your argument here proves and does not prove. What it proves is that human perception is variable and influenced by many factors. What your argument does not prove is that if you hear something, it must be the result of an objective characteristic of the equipment that magically cannot be measured.

This is the number-one problem with arguments like yours: Confirmation bias, poor memory/recall of small audio details, cross-sensory perception, and a whole host of other physiological, neurological, and environmental factors all play into what we hear.

People who disagree with you are not claiming that you're lying or delusional - we all believe that you are hearing/perceiving differences. 

But the problem is that the differences you perceive are meaningless to the rest of us, because we don't have your ears, your brain, your particular combination of cross-sensory experiences, and so on. Measurement, math, and physics are objective - not because objective is the whole ballgame, but because objective measurements and objectively established scientific mechanisms are the only things we have that can be communicated from person to person, outside  the unique subjective environment that each of us represents.

I have zero interest in saying you don't hear what you say you hear. But I have a very strong interest in your claim (or implication) that others will hear what you hear if they buy the USB cable you've bought. Because that claim is, to be generous, lacking any support.

These are one and the same. As I noted above, it's not about whether you or can hear something - I have no doubt you hear what you say you hear. It's about whether I will hear what you hear if I buy the same USB cable you have, and whether or not a USB cable you think is worse will sound better or the same to me. That's where your own experience is interesting to read about (and I appreciate you sharing it), but has no bearing on anyone else, unless one believes that what you hear is based on an objective characteristic of the USB cable that somehow cannot be measured. That's where the voodoo lies in these arguments.

Everyone here is expressing individual opinions. But some of those opinions are opinions about matters that are provable (or disprovable) and others are not. That's the difference.

wow. this has been busy. and actually an interesting read mostly being able to make it civil (though Sal really does need to learn some manners ;))

I am really tempted to enter this discussion, but I do believe, that, although fruitful, it is not part of the flow of this topic, although, honestly, helpful. And I do appreciate the tone with which it has been brought forward.

All I will only mention on this thread on this particular topic is that some people are assuming certain epistemological premises that I doubt they apply coherently in other aspects of their life. There has to be a level of commensurability for us to be even able to communicate with one another, so there has to be a epistemological presupposition  to make this even viable. Where we draw the line between that basis and what constitutes "nonsense" is an interesting discussion, but it at least opens the door for subjective experiences (a.k.a. "YMMV") to be possibly significant for other people.

This is an initial answer to what I consider to be the most articulate view that has been brought forward as espoused by tmtomh, and I would be glad to elaborate this in a thread that has the objective to discuss this field. Would someone be willing to start that thread?

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)