IGNORED

USB cable comparisons

2 hours ago, Blake said:

And yet, if you scan through this thread over the years, it seems that the majority of the sonically favored usb cable are from the hand-made camp (Light Harmonic, Lush, Curious, TotalDac, etc.).   I have owned quite a few Nordost cables over the years and liked them.  However, the one Nordost usb cable I owned (Blue Heaven), was nice but I actually found the Mapleshade usb cable to offer more clarity and detail.

Light Harmonic is machine made to very high precision, they specifically state that their goal is high bandwidth and very tight impedance control, this is only possible with machine made cables.  Other high precision, audiophile, machine made cables:

Nordost, Inakustik, Cardas, Sonore, Wireworld, Audioquest, and many more.  TotalDAC uses what looks like a standard machine made cable stock (not high end) with their filter module added on.  Yes, there are a handful of "hand made" cables, like LUSH, these are the ones I am skeptical of.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Looks like I misinterpreted your "hand made" comment.  I was not looking at it from the machine vs. handmade cable.  How are you making your determination which ones are machine made?  What is posted on their website or from looking a pics?

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

16 minutes ago, Blake said:

Looks like I misinterpreted your "hand made" comment.  I was not looking at it from the machine vs. handmade cable.  How are you making your determination which ones are machine made?  What is posted on their website or from looking a pics?

It is pretty easy to tell, are you suggesting you cannot tell?  You cannot inject a foamed PE dielectric by hand, for example, neither can you implement Nordost's micro monofilament construction, neither can you extrude any dielectric over a conductor by hand.  Take a look at the diagram of the layers of dielectric and the geometry of a light harmonic USB cables, and that is all contained inside a molded jacket, one cannot make that cable by hand.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

1 hour ago, barrows said:

It is pretty easy to tell, are you suggesting you cannot tell?  You cannot inject a foamed PE dielectric by hand, for example, neither can you implement Nordost's micro monofilament construction, neither can you extrude any dielectric over a conductor by hand.  Take a look at the diagram of the layers of dielectric and the geometry of a light harmonic USB cables, and that is all contained inside a molded jacket, one cannot make that cable by hand.

No, I was not suggesting that at all.  It was a sincere question. I have never seen a usb cable being made so I was curious.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

1 hour ago, barrows said:

TotalDAC uses what looks like a standard machine made cable stock (not high end) with their filter module added on.  

Yes, that is correct.  It is just a generic cable.  Vincent and I discussed a project where I was going to send him my Lightspeed cable and my TotalDAC cable, and have him attach the filter from my TotalDac to my Lightspeed 10G as an experiment, but we never followed through.  

also interested in the ID of that 'cheap cable' above

another question is how one decides which USB cable to buy (or which smaller group to buy for a listening test) - the Lightspeed is north of $1k so you have to wonder if $5k could not be better deployed...

8 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Hi Ralph, what cable are you asking about?

17 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

another question is how one decides which USB cable to buy (or which smaller group to buy for a listening test) - the Lightspeed is north of $1k so you have to wonder if $5k could not be better deployed...

www.thecableco.com was a good source to test some cables. I also bought others with the option of a trial period. I took the time to burn them in so that that it was a fair comparison. this helped quite a lot in doing real comparisons.

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

20 hours ago, HumanMedia said:

And looking at those HiFi News cable eye patterns, the cables I have empirically bought or trialled, and didn’t like have bad eye patterns, the ‘cheap’ cable I keep coming back to despite its flaws actually performs quite well. I now don’t think this is a coincidence - for my personal tastes anyway. 

this is the cheap one I asked about

Thx - knew cableco.com did speaker cables; did not know they 'rented' USB cables

2 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

this is the cheap one I asked about

Thx - knew cableco.com did speaker cables; did not know they 'rented' USB cables

they'll "rent" out any cable in their library

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

6 hours ago, barrows said:

Actually, no one here has any responsibility to prove to you that there are indeed substantial differences between USB cables, despite your insistence that such is so.

The sonic differences between some USB cables is so obvious that it is very well accepted among any group who have bothered to listen.

If you are not interested in better sound quality from your own system, that is fine, but please stop pretending to "know more" than people who have already done the work, which you have not.

Even in this thread objective evidence has been referenced (HiFi News' tests which include eye pattern testing).  But of course you cannot be bothered to take a look, instead demand that people who have the experience, and have done the work themselves prove it to you, sorry, that is not the responsibility of folks who are just sharing their experiences: why bother to insult us with your lack of any relevant experience?

Do not talk to the deaf ...

Do not show the landscape to the blind ...

You can make them very sad!

------------------------------------------

Paella made by machine ...? I guarantee you a synthetic taste ...!

Roch

On 8/3/2018 at 10:51 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Sal you are encouraged to post in many other threads. The company in this thread prefers you seek those out and stop posting in this one. 

Thank you, Chris, although I am not sure that I would use the word "encourage". And thank you for the Ignore List, a more permanent way to avoid trolls who won't take the hint. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Can't find where anyone has mentioned it, but I use wi-fi and/or a LAN cable to transfer music from a Mac to a Devialet.  The wi-fi is much better than the USB.  There is no noise whatever

Its difficult where I live (Cape Town, South Africa) to get much better USB cables than Audioquest, so tried the wi-fi route

The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club.  Achieve astonishing sound
Listening stuff:  Mercury Pi2, Devialet 440CI, B&W DB1, LF-8ba, 2 x Dachshunds

30 minutes ago, chrisc said:

Can't find where anyone has mentioned it, but I use wi-fi and/or a LAN cable to transfer music from a Mac to a Devialet.  The wi-fi is much better than the USB.  There is no noise whatever

Its difficult where I live (Cape Town, South Africa) to get much better USB cables than Audioquest, so tried the wi-fi route

My brother has a Devialet. I would recommend getting a Regen. I only went back to USB from digital coax after using it and that was with a LH 10G. 

BTW, still using the "normal" Regen, but it gut much, much better using an alternative lpsu, in my case the HDplex. My Welborne is better, but also more expensive and not as versatile. 

2 hours ago, chrisc said:

You can easily order the fab CuriousCable or the MadScientistAudio BlackMagic cable and have it sent to South Afrika. Don`t like it you just get your money back, no questions asked (and it beats the AQ by some miles)

On 8/3/2018 at 9:34 AM, Blake said:

And yet, if you scan through this thread over the years, it seems that the majority of the sonically favored usb cable are from the hand-made camp (Light Harmonic, Lush, Curious, TotalDac, etc.).   I have owned quite a few Nordost cables over the years and liked them.  However, the one Nordost usb cable I owned (Blue Heaven), was nice but I actually found the Mapleshade usb cable to offer more clarity and detail.

Clarity and detail are hallmarks of Mapleshade. What I also found at the time, several years ago, was edginess, something I seem to recall Pierre effectively admits (or admitted) in his design intention. And that was with Quad 12L speakers (desktop/near field) that are on the warm side. What I didn't hear was any warmth of the kind that real (acoustic) instruments have. I also found the initial Lightspeed of the same tonal quality, which is what led me to choose the TotalDac cable/filter. I haven't tested anything else since getting it four years ago, in large part due to focusing on my living room system. People here have been touting the Sablon. I haven't heard the USB Panatela version, but the Panatela power cords were to me also characterized by excellent clarity, detail and speed, but again cool (but not cold) for my tastes. After not long, I didn't like listening with them plugged in. I ended up with a set of PS Audio AC-12's. PS Audio doesn't make a USB cable, but they did make the LanRover, a two piece unit that worked something like the Regen, and that I preferred over the initial Regen, although a few hundred $$ more.  What I've found over the years is that listeners fall into two broad categories, those that prioritize "sound effects" and those that start with tonal/timbral accuracy. I fall in the latter category. But to each their own.

34 minutes ago, highstream said:

What I've found over the years is that listeners fall into two broad categories, those that prioritize "sound effects" and those that start with tonal/timbral accuracy. I fall in the latter category.

I love to hear what I feel is timbral accuracy, which is why I liked the Mapleshade.  :)  It made other cables sound more hi-fi and less real on the top end.  And I hate a "zippy," artificially detailed top end sound.

I imagine this is very likely down to varying systems and tastes. 

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.