On 6/9/2020 at 9:31 AM, Teresa said:

I would have to purchase another Mahler 8th, which I'm unwilling to do based on past experiences.

The Solti Mahler cycle is my favourite and the SQ on CD is everything you’d expect from recordings of the DECCA SXL era. 2,5 and 6 are fab.

I was going to recommend just buying the whole boxed cycle, but it looks to have increased a lot in price.  I’m sure I paid less than £20 but looks to be £65 in UK now.

It's a shame this label went out of business, as they produced SACDs with superb performances, sound, and booklets. I listened to Vol.1 this morning--contains No.7, 23, and 26.

Complete Piano Sonatas V.1

B&W 803D3 speakers

McIntosh MA9000 integrated amp

Esoteric K-03 SACD player; Chord Qutest DAC

VPI Prime Signature turntable/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze cartridge

Sennheiser HD800s, Audyssey LCD-xC headphones

15 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Love this album. 

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 7.43.51 AM.png

Chris, I am a huge Cat Stevens fan. I have no less than six CD/SACD/Hi Rez versions of Tea For The Tillerman, which I would place in my ten favorite albums.  My first year in college saw his music being played in almost every dorm room. As a footnote, every dorm room was either playing Cat Stevens, James Taylor, or Led Zeppelin, to be entirely truthful. This is the only album he ever made that I have not listened to because of unfailingly terrible reviews by people who loved his music.Should I be listening to it? 

JC 

5 hours ago, Teresa said:

[...]

The only classical singing I really like is Orff's Carmina Burana, in symphonies I tolerate singing if it doesn't distract too much from the orchestral writing. For singing I prefer folk and some Pop/Rock singers with nice sounding voices.

I would add some other great symphonies with choir and soloists, as Beethoven - Symphony No. 9, Szymanowski - Symphony No.3, Ralph Vaughan Williams - Symphony No.1 - A Sea Symphony. Or, from large scale pieces with orchestra and voices - Haydn’s Schöpfung, Bach’s Passions, Brahms and Mozart Requiems, Berlioz - Romeo and Juliette, or, from modern times - La Pasion segun San Marcos by Osvaldo Golijov. Or, The Fifth Century by Gavin Bryars - modern choral piece. Of course, there is a great choice of wonderful classical music with singing from all ages and for any taste 🙂

5 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Chris, I am a huge Cat Stevens fan. I have no less than six CD/SACD/Hi Rez versions of Tea For The Tillerman, which I would place in my ten favorite albums.  My first year in college saw his music being played in almost every dorm room. As a footnote, every dorm room was either playing Cat Stevens, James Taylor, or Led Zeppelin, to be entirely truthful. This is the only album he ever made that I have not listened to because of unfailingly terrible reviews by people who loved his music.Should I be listening to it? 

JC 

Two things. 

1. What a time to be alive, when all the dorms were playing great music. Wish it was that way when I was in college. 

2. I love this album. Produced by Rick Rubin, so it may be different than what people expect. It’s a must listen. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png